NEurope
Ashley

Job Hunting

The salary might not be ideal, but does the experience gained trump this? There may be a salary jump or two in the near future too if you were to stick around?

I have 2 major problems:

1) I've only been at my current job for 3 and a bit months. Doesn't exactly look great on the CV leaving so soon.

2) I started writing a business plan last week and have made the decision that to leave my current position after a year to give it a very good attempt while I'm still young.

If I leave now and join the new company to leave again next year and the business fails then it doesn't look like I'm a very loyal employee to new organisations.

If the business takes off then I'm dandy.

I'm meeting her tonight so will see what she has to say.

So, due to Visa situations I'm not really progressing at all over in America - and probably won't for a good while. My old boss in London has left and I can go back and do his job if I want to. The business over there is not in as strong a position but the role would be way more senior and it's cheaper to live in London too. There would potentially be a chance of coming back to San Francisco in the future anyway. Not too sure what to do, there are massive pros and cons to each option...

So I've been formally offered this other role, same salary but an hour less a day.

No idea what to do...

So' date=' due to Visa situations I'm not really progressing at all over in America - and probably won't for a good while. My old boss in London has left and I can go back and do his job if I want to. The business over there is not in as strong a position but the role would be way more senior and it's cheaper to live in London too. There would potentially be a chance of coming back to San Francisco in the future anyway. Not too sure what to do, there are massive pros and cons to each option...[/quote']

Pros to London: hire me.

This may be more of a pro to me than you :heh:

Seriously though, do you think you could one day come back to the same/a similar job in London? If so stay in SanFran for a while longer, may as well while the opportunity is there.

@Charlie

The only sort of advice I can give is to consider what position were you in before landing your current job. If you were struggling for work at the time then it might be worth staying loyal to your current employer. Good luck with your decision.

Pros to London: hire me.

This may be more of a pro to me than you :heh:

Seriously though, do you think you could one day come back to the same/a similar job in London? If so stay in SanFran for a while longer, may as well while the opportunity is there.

It's a tough one, the role would definitely come up again but right now it puts me a little ahead of realistic career progression which is nice. It also, strangely, makes my long term living in America easier to achieve due to job status requirements. Been thinking about it a lot today and I'm definitely leaning towards a move back to London, I'm already looking at houses and cars which says something I think.

You'll have to go through a grueling series of interviews and challenges if you want a job though!

It's a tough one' date=' the role would definitely come up again but right now it puts me a little ahead of realistic career progression which is nice. It also, strangely, makes my long term living in America easier to achieve due to job status requirements. Been thinking about it a lot today and I'm definitely leaning towards a move back to London, I'm already looking at houses and cars which says something I think.

You'll have to go through a grueling series of interviews and challenges if you want a job though![/quote']

Well if you do come back we definitely need to have that drink.

I'm happy to go through whatever gruelling processes. I've interviewed for Apple, twice.

What's the role you have now @will&\#39; and what would you be coming back too?

Role I'm employed in - Analyst

Role I actually do - Publishing Manager

Role I would come back to - Head of Business Analysis

I think I enjoy the current role more than I would the new one, but getting the title/money that should go with it isn't happening.

Well if you do come back we definitely need to have that drink.

I'm happy to go through whatever gruelling processes. I've interviewed for Apple, twice.

I'll definitely be back at some point in the next few months whatever happens, so let's make sure we have the drink!

Does anyone know what "known name" means on an application form?

I'm filling one out that asks for my surname and forename, then "known name", wtf? The name i like to be known by??

Edit: *Sigh* Probably doesn't matter now, since they are insisting on my 2 references both being former employers that have known me at least 3 years, and i only have one reference that fits that criteria.

Edited by Pancake

Does anyone know what "known name" means on an application form?

I'm filling one out that asks for my surname and forename, then "known name", wtf? The name i like to be known by??

Basically, it's the name you want to be known by as you said. For example, if your first name is Alexandra, but people call you Alex and you prefer being called that, you would put in the known name box "Alex"

Edit: *Sigh* Probably doesn't matter now, since they are insisting on my 2 references both being former employers that have known me at least 3 years, and i only have one reference that fits that criteria.

Don't let stuff like that put you off! Just put down another reference and explain to them (ONLY if they ask) why it is.

The chances are they won't even ask your reference how long they've known you. It's a tiny thing.

If they love you for the job they're hardly going to turn you down because you don't have a reference who you've known for 3 years.

It was for the NHS though, and when i read the job application pack (that's like a mini novel) they make it very clear that they WILL check your references, and have your whole application confirmed by them.

So i've basically spent 2 hours filling out the online application form (took so long cos it was all out of alignment and crap like that), only to realise there's really no point in submitting it. So i just closed it.

I'm so pissed off now.

It was only a stupid laundry assistant job for god sake... It shouldn't be so hard. :cry:

It was for the NHS though, and when i read the job application pack (that's like a mini novel) they make it very clear that they WILL check your references, and have your whole application confirmed by them.

So i've basically spent 2 hours filling out the online application form (took so long cos it was all out of alignment and crap like that), only to realise there's really no point in submitting it. So i just closed it.

I'm so pissed off now.

It was only a stupid laundry assistant job for god sake... It shouldn't be so hard. :cry:

You spent 2 hours of your life on it. WHy not just submit it anyway and see what happens?

Cos i had absolutely no one to put for the second reference and couldn't think of a way to get around it/was so fed up after sitting filling out the form for 2 hours.

(Can't send it now, as i closed it without saving).

So what's with all the part-time jobs? It's annoying.

Yeah this is something i have noticed,my girlfriend has to work Part-time 16+ hours a week to be entitled to working tax credits but most PT work seems to be 2-12hrs,i have experience in a few things and so more options myself like warehouse/factory work ,outdoor conservation and electronics but i cannot get the time of day.:sad:

Yeah it's totally lame.

The worst thing is, there are probably a hundred people applying for even that 12hr min wage job.

I remember job hunting in the early 2000's, and i would at least get some responses to spec letters, and ended up getting a job through one (also got a job via spec letter in 2006), but now i have sent out more spec letters than i ever did back then, and not had a single response either way. Just get blanked now!

Can't wait for college to start back up cos this totally sucks. I'm bored and skint. This summer has been a total write-off.

@Charlie

The only sort of advice I can give is to consider what position were you in before landing your current job. If you were struggling for work at the time then it might be worth staying loyal to your current employer. Good luck with your decision.

Sorry mate - only just saw this now. I started looking for a job due to complications with my other and got offered this less than 2 weeks into my search.

So I've been formally offered this other role, same salary but an hour less a day.

No idea what to do...

I told my existing job about the new one today... They made a counter offer which up'd my salary by 30% and gave me increased responsibilities.

That's my decision been made for me, then!

Have been asked for an interview for a part time counter assistant job at a Greggs bakery. Noooo idea what to wear.

I'd feel a bit silly wearing a shirt, isn't that too formal/office-y?

Has anyone else worked for Greggs/know what questions they ask?

(i don't actually want to work at stupid Greggs... but i will act/get used to it)

Ok. Is a pinstripe shirt too 'edgy' for Greggs do you think?

I feel like i should go out and buy the most frumpy white shirt i can find or something.

Too 'edgy' for Greggs?... Why a frumpy shirt?

Yeah always dress smart-casual/smart for an interview no matter where. So in this case smart casual I'd have thought.

Pinstripe shirt sounds fine to me! (white with black pinstripes?)

I wouldn't go spending money on a new shirt if you have ones you can wear, so long as they're nice smart ones.

I guess i just thought something plain would make me look more 'approchable' or something. God knows how employers think sometimes.

It's a navy pinstripe shirt, and i also have a grey shirt, but they both look reeeeally smart. That's why i thought maybe a bit OTT, considering the job.

Can't really be bothered buying anything new though. So i might just go like that and they'll have to deal with my sharp dressing!