NEurope
dwarf

What ID do you use when you're out?

I don't need I.D :p

But in the case that i get asked, always carry my license with me. Sans beard, but it works.

My ID requirements are directly proportional to my beard growth. As I can't shave every day due to my skin cutting up a treat, I usually leave it a week and have a beard.

First day after shaving; ALWAYS ID'd as I look 16

Second day after shaving; Usually ID'd as I look 18

Third onwards; Rarely as I look 24

I don't need I.D.

People know me.

Or are too scared to ask for it, be it because an alter-ego of yourself wanders around giving "medical" advice to people.

I use my actual ID card. People in the UK look at it a bit funny but it's been accepted every time. Can't really imagine not having an ID. I usually have it with me wherever I go (as that's what you're supposed to do really).

Whilst I don't think you should be obliged to carry it with you everywhere, a standard national ID is a good idea. Sadly, people in the UK think having one makes us a police state. Because, of course, Belgium, (modern) Germany and Denmark are all famously police states. Or not.

EDIT: Having now fully read the thread, that should also answer your (Eenuh's) earlier question to Kurtle - people here don't like the idea of having to carry ID by law, and I support that. Given the hassle I get with my (standard, full, EU-wide) driving licence as ID though, I'd like a standard national ID card. Jayseven's (I think) idea of having provisional licences issued as ID as standard is a good one - kill two birds with one stone, and stops my licence-less Londoner friends from bitching about having to carry passports as they can't, or aren't learning how to, drive.

Oh, and Kurtle: I know it's hard for you, but please try not being a dickhead.

Edited by The fish

I think we should all be chipped, like cats and dogs :p Save having to carry around a card, lol :p

Asides the invasion of rights and all that shite, it would be very handy if you had an accident, all your medical info, blood type etc could be stored in it... and when needs be the information would always be there!

When EEVILMURRAY calls you out being a dick you know you've crossed a line. Kurtle, the way you communicate is sometimes too harsh.

Wait... he communicates?

Whilst I don't think you should be obliged to carry it with you everywhere, a standard national ID is a good idea. Sadly, people in the UK think having one makes us a police state. Because, of course, Belgium, (modern) Germany and Denmark are all famously police states. Or not.

EDIT: Having now fully read the thread, that should also answer your (Eenuh's) earlier question to Kurtle - people here don't like the idea of having to carry ID by law, and I support that. Given the hassle I get with my (standard, full, EU-wide) driving licence as ID though, I'd like a standard national ID card. Jayseven's (I think) idea of having provisional licences issued as ID as standard is a good one - kill two birds with one stone, and stops my licence-less Londoner friends from bitching about having to carry passports as they can't, or aren't learning how to, drive.

Oh, and Kurtle: I know it's hard for you, but please try not being a dickhead.

Well the way it is here, you're obligated to have one from the age of 12 I think, but only obligated to carry it with you from the age of 15. For people younger than 12 there's kids IDs (for travelling etc, or when kids get lost).

The only thing that's visibly on there is your picture, your sex, name, place and date of birth, your nationality and your signature. And some numbers that the government needs. =P

Your address is on the chip, so unless you put it in a card reader, people can't find it out and come to stalk you. The reason you're supposed to carry it with you is simply cause of a way to identify yourself (let's say you have an accident, they immediately know who you are). I don't know, it's quite handy. Plus my dad can simply fill in our taxes online now by putting the card in an e-reader, meaning he can easily access our files online and send them through, rather than having to do the paper version.

I think I'm like the majority here who fear to take their passport out whereas a driver's licence (pink>green :p), I'm comfortable with taking that out even though it still costs to replace.

I have other ID cards such as a student one whilst at university but it is annoying how many accept it yet many others refuse to take it even though it has a picture and D.O.B.

Well the way it is here, you're obligated to have one from the age of 12 I think, but only obligated to carry it with you from the age of 15. For people younger than 12 there's kids IDs (for travelling etc, or when kids get lost).

The only thing that's visibly on there is your picture, your sex, name, place and date of birth, your nationality and your signature. And some numbers that the government needs. =P

Your address is on the chip, so unless you put it in a card reader, people can't find it out and come to stalk you. The reason you're supposed to carry it with you is simply cause of a way to identify yourself (let's say you have an accident, they immediately know who you are). I don't know, it's quite handy. Plus my dad can simply fill in our taxes online now by putting the card in an e-reader, meaning he can easily access our files online and send them through, rather than having to do the paper version.

See, my objection is that if you forget to carry the card with you, you become a criminal, that seems a bit damn harsh. Otherwise, they're handy, but sadly the response from pretty much all parties here in the UK is WE DON'T WANT TO BE A POLICE STATE! STOP TRYING TO MAKE US A POLICE STATE!

Needless to say, it gets a little frustrating trying to even discuss the matter here.

And some numbers that the government needs.=P

Belgium has a government? ;)

I like the idea of a ID card, I just think it will turn out to be a shit waste of money. It's expensive to intriduce. I don't it will stop much crime as it will be easy to forge (passports can be forged easily and cheaply). The main benefit I would like to see is that I hate having to fill in so many forms all for government things when they already have my information (think passport, driver's license, medical forms, student finance, tax etc. all requiring separate forms). Call me cynical but I doubt this would be fixed, and would probably just be another form to be filled in and another £50-100 I'd need to spend to get one.

Although anyone that mentiones freedom, liberties, surveillance, 1984 etc. should be shot.

See, my objection is that if you forget to carry the card with you, you become a criminal, that seems a bit damn harsh. Otherwise, they're handy, but sadly the response from pretty much all parties here in the UK is WE DON'T WANT TO BE A POLICE STATE! STOP TRYING TO MAKE US A POLICE STATE!

Needless to say, it gets a little frustrating trying to even discuss the matter here.

Well I don't -always- have it on me, and never had any trouble. Chances they'll ask for it are low. Most likely when you're driving a car and have done something wrong. =P

That happened once with my dad and sister, and they got off with a verbal warning haha.

Belgium has a government? ;)

Shhhh. =P

Although anyone that mentiones freedom, liberties, surveillance, 1984 etc. should be shot.

I've noticed that a good 90% of the time when people say "ooh, it's just like 1984", it's about something that, well, isn't in Nineteen Eighty-Four (to use it's proper title). Sometimes I suspect that people haven't actually read it. I know it's a convenient shorthand for "all-seeing, all-powerful totalitarian oppressive state", but it makes me feel that people haven't actually read it. They really should, it's excellent.

Most likely when you're driving a car and have done something wrong. =P

Ah, you see, here, even when driving you don't need your driving licence with you, and the police can ask for ID at random/out of interest, but you're on no obligation to provide it (or, indeed, your name or anything). Of course, if they suspect you've been naughty, they can just arrest you, so you're better off cooperating

Ah, you see, here, even when driving you don't need your driving licence with you, and the police can ask for ID at random/out of interest, but you're on no obligation to provide it (or, indeed, your name or anything). Of course, if they suspect you've been naughty, they can just arrest you, so you're better off cooperating

Well if your driving you do need to provide it as the police have the power to pull anyone over without reason just to check driving documents (driving licence, insurance, MOT etc). But they can check that stuff over PNC no-a-days anyway to see if you have a valid licence but they may still give you a producer, to produce your documents within 7 days to a police station (normally if your insured on another policy etc so it wont show up on the system).

Or in more direct reply to your message if they perform a stop check in the street, (but they do need to have a reason for stopping you in this case) you have to provide your details (as long as they have a valid reason, such as a crime has been commited nearby and u match the description or been a lot of anti-social behaviour in the area and they suspect you are involved etc). As long as they are satisfied with who you are with the details you have provided then technically you don't need to show ID but it is the easiest way to show who you are. Failure to provide details to an officer is an arrestable offence.

Edited by Mike1988uk

Bank cards in UK has date of birth on it right? Add a picture and you have a perfectly valid id card you are carrying with you anyway. I'm surprised that something as important as bank card doesn't have a picture to begin with. I have never seen anyone use driver's licence or passports as id in Norway. It's always your bank card.

Bank cards in UK has date of birth on it right? Add a picture and you have a perfectly valid id card you are carrying with you anyway. I'm surprised that something as important as bank card doesn't have a picture to begin with. I have never seen anyone use driver's licence or passports as id in Norway. It's always your bank card.

Nope, we don't. our bank cards just have the bank we are with and the type of card, card number, sort code, account number, name, security code on the back with a signature strip.

I personally use a driving license.

But before I had a license I used a Citizencard. They're accepted widely round the country as they feature the PASS credit ( so you'll be fine for pubs, bars, supermarkets etc ).

http://www.citizencard.com/ipr/