N-Europe

Sonic Generations 3DS

Retro_Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought this on Boxing Day, along with Ace Combat, and finished it on Wednesday in just over 2 hours.

Disappointed at the lack of content. Only 7 levels, with 2 acts each (one for classic Sonic and one for modern Sonic) along with a Special Stage (which are pretty easy to be honest), and then set Boss Gates after each 'generation' of Sonic titles, each again with 2 bosses.

Classic Sonic levels, I felt, were probably the best in the early levels (mainly because those were the Megadrive/Genesis ones built for classic Sonic) with the modern iterations of these not fairing well. Once you got onto the Dreamcast era and beyond levels, the modern Sonic ones came into their own and felt better (Although why they couldn't just replicate the Dreamcast levels in full 3D for modern Sonic is beyond me as they could so easily get them running and they'd play out far better than the 2D versions of these stages).

There are missions you can take on (such as collect so many rings in 'X' time or beat this boss with only 1 ring) as well as time trials which can be shared through StreetPass/Online but it's a poor set of asides when you consider how short the main digest is, even if you want to go back through the levels to S rank them.

It was fun for what it was (and it was nice hearing some of the old music coming back) but Sega could have, and should have, given more content. If this drops to below £15, then I'd say give it a go. Until then, leave it as it'll be back on your shelf before you know it. More than happy to let people borrow the game in the New Year if they want to try it out/play it.

• 1 month later...

Finished S ranking the game yesterday, which was harder then the HD versions :laughing:

Still got loads of missions to be unlocked and they cost 5 Play Coins each! :eek A few unlocked as I was playing but I'm not sure what I can do to try and unlock more without the Play Coins.

I really hated this game. though in fact it made me realise that I just don't like sonic games. They're just a bit too... rush to the end of the level as fast as you can and not much skill involved. I realise that to get good rankings you have to slow it down and find alternative routes etc But this seems to go against the core mechanic of the game and I just can't be arced with it; bored me senseless.

I actually liked Sonic and the secret rings, as at least then you could see where the hell you're going and offered a slightly different gameplay experience.