NEurope

We already heard the news earlier today that Shinobi was coming to the 3DS :smile: Here are the first details..

Shinobi 3DS - first details

thumb_shi.jpg

- 2.5D side-scroller

- new Ninja hero (SEGA wouldn't mention the character's name)

- slice through enemies with katana strikes

- combo attack that juggles enemies in the air

- use an auto-recharging supply of throwing knives

- use fire/water/lightning/shadow magic

- double jumps and evasive slide attacks

- use a grappling hook to reach high places

- wall jump and swing hand-over-hand from the ceiling

- press R to parry enemy attacks

- defend against attacks that come from behind or while you're jumping as well

- game starts off in Oboro Village

- this village is attacked by mysterious enemy forces

- run through burning temples and over collapsing bridges

- face off against enemy ninjas and samurai

- buildings crumble in the background and explosions blast the land

- fight on horseback while rushing through a forest

- horse can trip over fallen trees

- survive an ambush while riding a raft down a river

- climb a waterfall by jumping between falling logs

- explore caves and snow-covered mountains

- battle a female warrior who can disappear in a puff of black smoke

- all details mentioned above are just from the first level

- fight on the back of a moving jet

- fight a giant cyborg megalodon shark

- 3D ninja star throwing mini-game

- unlockable bonus content that you get through completing specific in-game challenges

- save your level playthroughs and share with other players

- StreetPass compatibility

GoNintendo

I'm pretty interested in this :hehe:

- fight a giant cyborg megalodon shark

Well... that's me sold! :D

Well... that's me sold! :D

Excellent :heh:

It sounds like my kinda game so I really hope it delivers! I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.. presumably at the potentially glorious E3 :grin:

Hmm, well I was looking forward to it, but it's not exactly a beauty. I would rather it stayed strictly 2D (ie. sprites) with simple, traditional gameplay (jump, throw etc). Still, it has potential...

Loved Shinobi on the Gamegear.

Will be awesome to get back into handheld Ninja slicing.

Hope the soundtrack is wicked. Shinobi usually is.

Had a great time with Shinobi 3 on VC, so really looking forward to this!

Although, it looks so far like another developer hasn't quite grasped that the 3DS is a HUGE leap in graphical capability over its predecessor. :/

Here is the same video Dante posted previously but this time it contains 3DS footage of the new game :hehe:

I'd kinda have to agree and say that it still needs plenty of work.. but I'm still hopeful it'll turn out to be a nice surprise :hehe: I certainly wasn't expecting it..

It's not too bad looking... I mean sure the 3DS is capable of alot more, but it does have some kind of style to it [cel-shaded] that just about works. Not sure about all the numbers/combo info on screen though.

No release date/completion rate yet though is there, so hopefully it may improve a bit.

No release date/completion rate yet though is there, so hopefully it may improve a bit.

It's apparently down for a September release so it must be pretty far along.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/117/1170840p1.html

The new game looks better, adds modern touches, and is still tough to master.

I've never ever been good at Shinobi. I tried it on the SEGA Genesis and the SEGA collections that followed, but ducking at the right time and hitting enemies with shurikens has never been a strong suit of mine. Shinobi 3DS isn't the same game from back in the arcades thanks to pretty visuals and a bunch of bells and whistles, but it continues the tradition of making me feel like an inept ninja.

If you need to picture Shinobi 3DS, a brand new game from Griptonite, imagine the 2D Shinobi games of the past but totally slick and graphic novel looking. You still crouch and jump before hurling throwing stars and swinging your katana, but now you can parry, juggle and call in special "ninja magic" attacks from the touch screen.

But wait -- that's not all. This modern take on the franchise tosses in 60 achievements, unlockables such as weapons and characters, and StreetPass functionality. There are anime cutscenes, and you can even save replays of levels to SD cards.

How does it play? Well, it plays like Shinobi. I used the analog nub to move and watched enemies explode into blood spots as I took'em down. Hurling stars and landing blows without getting hit built up my multiplier and helped me bank more points. At points I had to monkey bar climb over fires, but most of the time I was just marching ahead and beating things up. More often than not, I was screwing up when to jump and getting hit by bad guys.

So, you know, it was Shinobi. I wasn't blown away, but I was never a huge fan of the original. This one ran well, looked pretty and sounds like it has a lot to do if you're a fan of ninja stuff. I still suck at this franchise. Oh, and you play as the dad of the original ninja in Shinobi, so if you want to understand where the original character came from, you're going to have to scope these anime cutscenes come September.

shinobi-preview-20110525055034570_640w.jpg

shinobi-preview-20110525055046694_640w.jpg

shinobi-preview-20110525055044241_640w.jpg

shinobi-preview-20110525055108990_640w.jpg

I hope this is ace, i LOVED Revenge of Shinobi and have only replayed that not so long ago on the Wii.

Don't let me down Sega!!!

This arrived yesterday from shopto and so far I’ve played through the first 2 levels. If it continues in the vein it’ll be a worthy successor to Shinobi 3. Like going back to the megadrive days - old school gameplay: fun, hard and precise. Settings are colourful and stylised, and though there are signs that it may have started life as a DS game, it looks great. Sometimes there are lo-fi touches that seem intentional and add to the retro feel, like pixelly snow falling in 3D layers . The music, similarly, is kind of a cross between Okami and the Shinobi music of old. There’s a fair bit of Sega fan service too, with various nods other classic franchises, unlockables and entries on each game in the series’ history.

At first I found the controls a little fiddly, but they’re easy to get used to and fully customisable. Only minor complaint is that certain aspects of the front end seem a little rough and the compression of the story sequences could be better (video compression is something that needs to be sorted out on the 3ds in general). Great artwork though. Griptonite have obviously put the effort in to this one and have a clear affection for the series.

If it continues in the vein it’ll be a worthy successor to Shinobi 3. Like going back to the megadrive days - old school gameplay: fun, hard and precise..

There has been a lot of negativity about how this game is looking but what you have said is exactly what I want to be hearing :hehe: Thanks for making me feel a little happier about this game again :hehe:

Picked this up out of curiousity, and didn't walk away disappointed. It's no GotY, but it's very much in the same vein as the old-skool Shinobi's, for better and for worse. I concur with Lens of Truth: it's not easy and takes some getting used to, but it pays to stick with it. It's all very 90's: patternbased enemies, hard as nails, etc.

But is looks pretty bad. It's no monstrocity, but the artstyle isn't very attractive, and there are pixelated textures that look to have been ripped of a DS. Actually, there is a lot of pixelation going on in general. This is not the game you'll be using to convince friends of the graphical capabilities of the 3DS. That said, the music is pretty awesome and there is a lot of content stuffed inside. It's clearly a labour of love. It breathes Shinobi.

This game is really cheap now, it's £13 from GAME. I bought it and it's really hard! Really enjoying it though, if you liked the Shinobi games on Megadrive then you'll like this. I think Ninja Gaiden NES fans will also enjoy this game, as long as you can get past the bad graphics.

Started this last night because I was bored. They weren't kidding when they said it was hard. Just like the Mega Drive days. Even debating lowering the difficulty to easy for my first play through.

Levels are a lot longer than I expected, but they are broken up into section. Problem is if you lose all your lives you have to start from the very first section again :(

The cut scenes are really nicely animated as well :)

If you like the Mega Drive versions I'd recommend this, plus it's like £12 - £13 nowadays.