N-Europe

Phoenix Wright Movie

Happenstance

Pretty much what I expected, though it actually looks better than I had hoped! :D I love the inclusion of the holographic screens! :D So unnecessary, but practical, and it helps cement that we're a few years into the future. Also, I spot the Blue Badger! :D

The plot is obviously the first game (even including the Steel Samurai case, it seems), but it would seem that Mia's death has been moved to during the last case, which does make sense in context.

• 1 month later...

Trailers! The judge isn't fat enough to pull off that beard. Also, Hiroki Narimiya I can't take him seriously with that hair!

It looks entertaining, and probably will be. I hope they play that kind of music throughout the movie! At the very least, it will be fun to see real person versions of the characters in the game :D

• 5 weeks later...

And I did see it. In a packed theatre.

Well, what can I say.. It’s simply fan service galore with just one thing missing. You’ll have to accept films and games are two different mediums, and that an adaptation is going to be different, but Miike Takashi sure did almost everything to please the fans. Almost. I’m wondering how people who aren’t fans of the games, view the film, I expect it to be much less hilarious, and just simply absurd. I thoroughly enjoyed it, there was lots of humour, and plenty drama in the film, just like the games, and like I said, plenty of fan-service, plenty of little references that only the fans will notice / find funny. You can see other characters from other turnabouts as cameos in the audience for example. Some critique would be, that the pacing slows down towards the end. My biggest gripe however is the lack of music from the game. There are a few nods to it, the Steel Samurai theme is heard, but I miss the courtroom music most of all.

Despite the lack of music, I’d recommend every Phoenix Wright fan to go see it. Plenty of fans during this particular screening, there were lots of cheers, especially during appearances of a certain character!

Apart from the film, there was a dumb interview with Miike Takashi before the screening (“violance this, violence that.. Bla bla bla..â€). It’s too bad, becauser I initially intended to go to another screening, which was also the world premiere apparently, and which had an Q&A afterwards (and was in a better theatre too). Should have been better, but oh well.

Typical epic film stuff. Orchestral. The music wasn’t exactly the most memorable part of the film, apart from the 2 things I did recognise. Though I must say it’s been a long time since I’ve played the games, so maybe I missed a few. But the finale was mostly silent for example, while it needed a good dose of

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

A real missed opportunity. But like I said, despite that, go see it and have a good time.

WHAT?!?! How have I missed this?! :o They better release this in the west! Along with Investigations 2 and an apology for their momentary insanity.

I knew there was something wrong when I didn't see a comment from you :heh: There's a thread at the Handheld forums, and now I also see a news article in the main page.

We don't know anything about the game yet, but I do hope Layton vs Wright can convince Capcom to bring it here.

You do now ;).

For those interested, the boring interview with Miike Takashi (although they barely even mention Ace Attorney, so it’s largely irrelevant).

Skip to 2:05, or click the link below to go there directly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bNNq-o8gckQ#t=125s

Maybe someone recorded the Q& A from the night before :p.

• 2 weeks later...