N-Europe

Capturing Wii Footage

Ashley

Hey folks!

So I'm interested in capturing some footage from a Nintendo Wii. I'm hearing conflicting things about the best way to do it. I saw one suggestion that I need some kind of capturing hardware (like a Pinaccle Dazzle) and others just saying I need software and just need to plug my Wii into a monitor.

The latter would be preferable because it'll be cheaper but...does it work? If so how? What do I need? etc

The only method I know of is a PCI capture card. The quality will definitely be better than any software based solution. Then again, if you're capturing off a Wii I doubt you're looking for any crisp visual dazzle.

I've looked into capturing gaming videos in the past. I got a cheapo PCI card from PC World years ago, but it was only capable of capturing low quality stuff without the frame rate taking a big hit. I ruled out DVD recorders, simply because none of them support PAL60 (as far as I could tell).

More recently I saw this posted on Joystiq. It only mentions 360 and PS3, but it uses a component connection which the Wii is also compatible with. Seems to only be sold in the US, but can be imported. Considering the price of decent capture cards, this might be worth looking into.

More recently I saw this posted on Joystiq. It only mentions 360 and PS3, but it uses a component connection which the Wii is also compatible with. Seems to only be sold in the US, but can be imported. Considering the price of decent capture cards, this might be worth looking into.

It's available in the UK for around £70-£80.

Edit: I once had a capture card for my first year at uni. It cost £20 from ARGOS. It was utterly dreadful (very low quality plus 50Hz only, the recording never worked) but was my only option as I had no TV.