NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Does anyone else move around using the camera stick in games? As in, you just hold forward on the analogue stick and move your character with the camera stick, thus constantly keeping them centered.

Did that alot in Sunshine and Wind Waker.

Yeah it's pretty much the way I play now.

Same here.

Really not liking the sound of this camera movement. Does it mean that if I tilt it at all the camera changes, or will I have to be holding a button?

How sensitive is it going to be? I can foresee a situation where you're walking along some thin walkway only do move the 3DS, change the camera whilst still holding forward and end up falling off because of it.

Sounds like a ridiculous solution to a problem that should never have arisen...

n where you're walking along some thin walkway only do move the 3DS, change the camera whilst still holding forward and end up falling off because of it.

That sounds like something they would do with the vitality sensor!

Walking along a thin walkway

Boo appears

Heart rate spikes

Insanity effect

Probable death

Imagine what they could do with the final final star in Galaxy 2. :laughing:

Right so Miyamoto wants us to be standing up when playing this game.

Cringe, sounds awful and beyond gimmicky.

..to be fair, does Miyamoto often get it wrong..? :indeed:

51mThLJ0Y8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no but when he does he REALLY does :D

What was so bad about Mario Sunshine? I quite enjoyed it ::shrug:

What was so good about Mario Sunshine? I quite enjoyed it...

... at the time but the F.L.U.D.D did ruin the platforming somewhat, it took away more than it added.

... at the time but the F.L.U.D.D did ruin the platforming somewhat, it took away more than it added.

The outstanding retro levels made up for the lack of true platforming though. I wish the similarly themed galaxy in Galaxy 2 was of the same quality.

True, the retro levels were fantastic but they were few and far between :/ if the whole game had been like that then it would have been pure platforming gold.

I'm hoping that a lot of Super Mario 3DS will be like those retro levels plus elements from past games including SMB3, SM64 and SMG/2.

51mThLJ0Y8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no but when he does he REALLY does :D

Go back to your jellyfish fetish, Metroid boy. :heh:

Wii Music isn't Guitar Hero or Rock Band and its this that makes it great. Its a music creation tool. Its great fun and gives you tons of room to be creative... all you need is some inspiration. The only thing it lacks is more tunes. In fact, I'm gonna stick it on once I'm finished checking a few things on here.

What was so bad about Mario Sunshine? I quite enjoyed it ::shrug:

Aside from the blue coins, the only gripe I really have with Sunshine is the setting. Isle Delfino was great to begin with but lacked variety overall. Mario goes on holiday and the rest of the game is trapped within these tropical confines - giving Mario a story clearly doesn't help anything. :heh: Yes, they tried to shoehorn in a ghost house but if the game had snow, etc, then it would maybe be looked on differently.

Its the Wind Waker thing in reverse. At the time everyone loved Sunshine, now they hate it. I'm not saying its the best Mario game ever, don't get me wrong. Its perfectly playable and has its moments - they tried to follow Mario 64 up with something a little different is all. Flinging Mario around on the tightropes in the Bianca Hills was great fun. :cool:

Sunshine was great, it's my favourite 3D Mario. I loved how FLUDD helped you hover, spray water etc. I loved the theme of sun, sea and sand. In fact, the only thing I didn't like were the retro levels. Maybe I don't like Mario all that much!

Aside from the blue coins, the only gripe I really have with Sunshine is the setting. Isle Delfino was great to begin with but lacked variety overall. Mario goes on holiday and the rest of the game is trapped within these tropical confines - giving Mario a story clearly doesn't help anything. :heh: Yes, they tried to shoehorn in a ghost house but if the game had snow, etc, then it would maybe be looked on differently.

Its the Wind Waker thing in reverse. At the time everyone loved Sunshine, now they hate it. I'm not saying its the best Mario game ever, don't get me wrong. Its perfectly playable and has its moments - they tried to follow Mario 64 up with something a little different is all. Flinging Mario around on the tightropes in the Bianca Hills was great fun. :cool:

Sunshine was weird for me. Liked it at first, disliked it later, hated it for a while and now I remember it fondly.

That said, I still can't get over the fact that you can't skip cutscenes...urgh

Wii Music isn't Guitar Hero or Rock Band and its this that makes it great. Its a music creation tool. Its great fun and gives you tons of room to be creative... all you need is some inspiration. The only thing it lacks is more tunes. In fact, I'm gonna stick it on once I'm finished checking a few things on here.

OFFTOPIC!:

OK bitch that's it :D

As a music title Wii music falls on its arse, in EVERY imaginable way. :)

• The sounds in the music game don't sound good ( Even for MIDI it's terrible)
  • You insult every musician ever if you call it a music creation tool to be fair..If you create an original tune on it, Do put it up on-line :D
  • It's absolutely no different from any other rhythm music title.... except you can't lose...
  • It lacked tunes people wanted to actually play as well as lacking tunes (twinkle twinkle little star?)
  • It didn't control well..
  • There wasn't enough content to do to justify a full-priced purchase.

Mario Paint was a better music creation tool.....and that was released almost 20 years ago and the game wasn't even about music!!

Think about it as a music game. It sounds bad, the songs are terrible, there's actually no gameplay stages or levels, and it controls awfully. It's a very very very bad game and I'm not even mentioning how it looks worse than WII sports which was packed with the system.

Please Do not compare that travesty to the metroid series. But I seriously hope you enjoy it more than I did and I mean that :)

Ya sunshine had it's problems.. but for me all of its problems were that it was lacking stages, that and the camera was arguably worse than 64. I wanted MORE though and thats defo a good complaint to have.

I loved the controls and level designs( except the hotel stage). It was more about exploring than any other mario game.

It controlled great. It was a blast combining moves with the Fludd add-on. Ever grab onto a tight rope and use the hover noozle to spin on the rope and jump? It's a blast.

Galaxy let me down slightly in the control department. It was simplified and got rid of the dive move I hold dearly. To be fair though, it suited the game.

OFFTOPIC!:

OK bitch that's it :D

As a music title Wii music falls on its arse, in EVERY imaginable way. :)

It's a music creation tool for people who don't have the necessary time or skills to use something more advanced. With Wii Music, it's possible to create a pretty decent and unique version of a song in less than half an hour. Yes, the song list was severely lacking, and yes, it should have had DLC and the ability to view tracks from people who hadn't sent you them, but really, it does what it says on the tin. I've used proper MIDI creating programs and also the sequencer on Wario Ware DIY, and obviously they're going to let you be much more creative. But if you don't have the hours and hours it used to take me to make songs on those, Wii Music is still a decent alternative.

Oh, and neither proper MIDI sequencers nor WarioWare DIY let you create a video with Hitler on the snare drum, Trevor McDonald on the harpsichord, and Henry VIII on the harp. :p

Edited by Mike

A lot of that is your opinion. ie. the fact that apparently everyone now hates Sunshine, which is obviously bollocks.

You think adding a snow level to Sunshine would have improved it? Every Mario game is the same, fields, desert, snow, forrest etc. Sunshine tried something different, the tropical island had a great vibe to it, and all the levels fit in seamlessly, and very well IMO. A snow level would have just been ridiculous. Nintendo should be applauded for trying something a little different. It's the Majora's Mask of Mario and I personally loved it, fantastic game.

I've never understood the Hate for either Wind Waker or Sunshine :hmm:

but Sunshine is the only mario game i've ever sold, because for me the replay value just didn't exist, thats my issue with it, some of it just seemed a chore to do

Wind Waker on the other hand was unfairly judged because people wanted a realistic Zelda, which although understandable, it didn't make Wind Waker a bad game, its actually one of the best, and due to its graphical style the game still looks good today.

My only gripe with it (and several zelda's) is its unfinished, removing dungeons to keep a release date is the wrong idea

Anyway onto Super Mario 3DS

how the hell will the gyroscopic controls work? you'll have a difficult time maintaining 3D all the time. i hope its optional, or for camera controls in conjunction with holding down a button like L

A lot of that is your opinion. ie. the fact that apparently everyone now hates Sunshine, which is obviously bollocks.

Nope, it's pretty just me who hates it. I put it in a link like that (rather than posting the image directly) because it was more a throwaway comment than anything else. My main hate comes from the basic gameplay (it's like going on holiday only to be forced to clean up after the whole holiday camp had mass diarrhea), and how the FLUDD made the controls less fluid than SM64.

(it's like going on holiday only to be forced to clean up after the whole holiday camp had mass diarrhea)

:bowdown:

That has to be the single best analogy for Super Mario Sunshine that I've ever heard, it describes the nature of the game perfectly.

You think adding a snow level to Sunshine would have improved it? Every Mario game is the same, fields, desert, snow, forrest etc. Sunshine tried something different, the tropical island had a great vibe to it, and all the levels fit in seamlessly, and very well IMO. A snow level would have just been ridiculous. Nintendo should be applauded for trying something a little different. It's the Majora's Mask of Mario and I personally loved it, fantastic game.

Isle Delfino was just far too limiting in terms of potential for variety. Beaches, beaches and more beaches plus a couple of buildings. By trying to drop Mario into an actual living world, that people could inhabit and live in, they were restricted in what they could do and a lot of the places felt a boring as a result. 7 actual proper levels is pretty stingy compared to the 15 of 64.

If the island was bigger, they could have easily gotten a snow level in as part of a mountain world without it seeming ridiculous but then since when were preposterous ideas and Mario such enemies anyway?

Plus, each level had 8 normal Shines, 1 for 100 coins and then an extra one for every "Secret" level and sometimes a bonus for re-doing the exact same star. You spent so much time looking at the same scenery it just felt lazy at times.

Ricco Harbour was my favourite level because I thought it had the best music and best platforming sections. Noki Bay was next in line just for being so different to the rest and the cool vibe it gave off... until you had to swim underwater.

For a game around water, with lots of swimming, why did they alter the perfectly fine mechanics of 64 and replace them with the stupid Sunshine ones? The controls against the Eel were a particular pain and camera takes on a life of it's own in that part too... and it seems to hate the player.

Blue coins were a nuisance to find and collect. Having to get 30 per level and exchange 10 for one Shine Sprite? Really? Sounds like they were running out of ideas and wanted to know how to get the total Shines up to the 120 mark to equal Mario 64. You already had the collect 8 red coins in the repeat of the Secret stages... why add even more obviously filler content instead of new ideas?

That's up to 15 Shines from each of the 7 levels whereas Mario 64 had 7 Stars from 15 levels. And it's not like Sunshine's levels were that much bigger. Yes they had a bit more in them but no enough to justify the time spent in there.

Sunshine suffers from the same problems as The Wind Waker - the hero was put in an environment that ultimately they should never have been placed in and they are loads of points that are only in to artificially lengthen the game because they've their isn't enough genuine content to fill it.

And don't get me started on FLUDD...

I agree completely, except for the last two paragraphs (with which I disagree completely)

If they'd had a snow world at least they could have had new gameplay elements to FLUDD, like the water you spray freezing, or coming out as snow... or a lava world where you have to solidify the lava into platforms etc...

I'm in the category of never really liking Sunshine when it came out... and think no fonder of it now... having sold it. Not a fan.

I agree completely, except for the last two paragraphs (with which I disagree completely)

You say the last two paragraphs... does that mean the FLUDD line and one above or the two above the FLUDD line?

Oh, and when I said it lacked genuine content - I mean it lacked the content to make it the x number of hour game they wanted it to be.

If they'd have made Sunshine a 100, or even 80, Shine game, yes it would have been shorter than 64, but it would have felt better for it as it's own game - and the length would have been fine too.

TWW could have used the extra dungeons, but swapping them for the Triforce Hunt was a no no. They should have just left the hunt out and have done and again, it would have been a better game. Shorter than it's predecessors? Sure. But better than trying to drag out it's length to match them and bringing it down in the process.

And one more point that cannot be stressed enough:

Bowser... in a hot tub...

I rest my case :p

Edited by Captain Falcon