NEurope
jayseven

Drug Films

So you got your stoner movies which usually benefit from teh viewer being high while watching, then you have your drug-addict, this-ain't-cannabis movies like Requiem for a Dream and Trainspotting that looks at the user culture rather than mere hijinkery.

Last night I watched Spun Limited, and I thought it trod the line a little. The dead-end lifestyles of a half-dozen characters dressed up in a dark-humoured clown suit. Anyone else seen it? Can anyone recommend any movies like the three I've mentioned here?

Pineapple Express is a great stoner film. Ridiculously funny if you're in the right mood for it!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas might be for you. Haven't watched it though. I've seen 10 minutes and decided that I want to be drunk while watching it. :D

I think my fave film about drugs remains A Scanner Darkly. It's really very, very clever. Perfect combination of narrative and visuals, fantastic casting (basically a bunch of Hollywood-ers known for their drug history) and a flawless grasp of drug use. I loves it.

edit: and Fear and Loathing, obviously. Watching that stoned sent my mate in to a whitey, so mind out.

edit: and Fear and Loathing, obviously. Watching that stoned sent my mate in to a whitey, so mind out.

Similarly, Sister Act made me want to have sex with a black woman.

You'd think I'd be able to think of some, but...I can't.

Well there's a zillion films that might freak you out when high, but there's no point listing them.

Jayseven, do you mean Spun? If so I did watch it. It'ss kind of cool, I guess.

Also, apart from the ones already mentioned:

midnight+cowboy.jpg

traffic.jpg

220px-DrugstoreCowboyposter.jpg

christiane+f+groot.jpg

51E76MRX43L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

- Knock knock.

- Who's there?

- The interrupting cow.

- The interrupting cow who??

- ... moo.

- That was terrible!

Even better:

Yeah, learned at the pub today that the correct title is indeed spun. Not saying it's on the same level as requiem or trainspotting, just that it's the first film in a while I've watched that dealt with drugs that wasn't weed.

Pineapple express filled the hole but doesn't equate to what I'm saying. I've heard that basketball diaries is where I should head next, but cheers for your post O_W, I think I'll check most of them out :)

51VHPBV5Z8L.jpg

I seem to remember it being good. Could be wrong though, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Why... Scarface of course :)

tony.jpg

and to a lesser extent Goodfellas, the ending part anyway when Henry gets involved in cocaine, his paranoia is brilliant.

Goodfellas.jpg

I know they are more gangster based films, but gotta remember that gangsters like to traffic anything, including drugs, and from time to time, they like to dip into their stock :)

But of all the other films mentioned, Spun is the only one I've seen and I did enjoy that.

I think my fave film about drugs remains A Scanner Darkly. It's really very, very clever. Perfect combination of narrative and visuals, fantastic casting (basically a bunch of Hollywood-ers known for their drug history) and a flawless grasp of drug use. I loves it.

Just watched this.

I love.

Felt really like "...Here it is. Let's just deal with drug use well and interestingly." Really hard to get a grasp on whilst watching, but when you think about it properly, you get it. I enjoy when things leave bits out and let you construct the story/treat the audience as vaguely intelligent.

I loved the Philip K. Dick quote at the very end too. Made me well-up a little bit (which is strange as the actual film didn't elicit such a reaction in me)

I love Winona.

Similarly, Sister Act made me want to have sex with a black woman.

I was always looking at the small redhead. Then it was Jennifer Love Hewitt in the sequel.

Just watched this.

I love.

Felt really like "...Here it is. Let's just deal with drug use well and interestingly." Really hard to get a grasp on whilst watching, but when you think about it properly, you get it. I enjoy when things leave bits out and let you construct the story/treat the audience as vaguely intelligent.

I loved the Philip K. Dick quote at the very end too. Made me well-up a little bit (which is strange as the actual film didn't elicit such a reaction in me)

I love Winona.

I'd actually forgotten about that. I remember being quite emotional too because you really got a sense that there was more than a touch of autobiography going on in retrospect- the damage done was definitely his own, the casualties his friends. It's the tragedy of that era summed up quite brilliantly.

Just watched this.

I love.

I love Winona.

A Scanner Darkly is easily my favorite Philip K. Dick novel (of the ones i read) and drug film.

I watched it after reading the novel and the adaption is just wonderful. There are changes like you would expect, but none of the greatness is lost and a lot is added with the visual style.

I also need to give a shout-out to the soundtrack, I loved it.

A Scanner Darkly is easily my favorite Philip K. Dick novel (of the ones i read)

Which ones have you read, and could you please rank them? 'cause I respect your opinion.

Of all his books I've read, I'd class them like this:

The Man In The High Castle = Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said > The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch = Ubik = A Scanner Darkly = Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Needless to say I loved them all, but I get the feeling I only read his best works and I would really like to work my way through his other classics!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas might be for you. Haven't watched it though. I've seen 10 minutes and decided that I want to be drunk while watching it. :D

You say that, but....the movie is difficult to follow sober at times, while drunk it's impossible.

Which ones have you read, and could you please rank them? 'cause I respect your opinion.

Of all his books I've read, I'd class them like this:

The Man In The High Castle = Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said > The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch = Ubik = A Scanner Darkly = Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Needless to say I loved them all, but I get the feeling I only read his best works and I would really like to work my way through his other classics!

I would say: A Scanner Darkly > The World Jones Made > Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said > Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? > The Man In The High Castle.

So uhm, a bit similar lists, so not helping much.

I have been getting the feeling that I've only gotten the cream of the top when it comes to PKD.

My mission is too one day own all of his novels, just as something to collect.

Spun

Requiem for a Dream

and the true story, Party Monster, are all favourites of mine.