NEurope
Dan_Dare

Boy, 13, faces life in prison without parole.

I think the death penalty would honestly be doing the child a favour. Either way, he will always live his life in so much guilt, regret and fear. He'll never be able to have a proper family, he'll never be able to have a proper job, he'll be living in jail for the rest of his days, he'll be living in constant fear for his life and he will be living in regret and guilt. Now, can someone seriously tell me they would rather live through all of that rather than kill themselves because I don't know about you, but I'd choose death over that any day.

I feel sorry for their families and friends the most. They'll never be able to look at their daughter being happy ever again and what's worse, they'll never be able to meet their unborn grandchild. To think, two lives were alive and breathing a day before and all of a sudden, their daughter's and grandchild's life was snatched away from them. The same could go for the father and the father has to live in the shame that his son killed his stepmother and his unborn sibling. So this kid hasn't wrecked two lives, he's wrecked quite a lot and at that age, they know what they're doing and what they're saying.

Also, I agree with a couple of people on here when they said that they would like to see his head on a platter if he harmed any of their family. I think I would too.

A platter is so impractical though. Pre-sliced, served with nice roast veg would be much easier to deal with.

The problem with news like this is that we never know the full story. What if it turns out that the mother had been abusing the child? Does this now make you sympathetic towards him? Do your initial feelings change?

The insane thing, that has already been pointed out, is that an 11 year old boy was allowed access to a gun. Thats crazy. Absolutely crazy. I still don't understand how people are allowed to have these in their home, it's asking for trouble.

As for life without parole, I don't agree with it, at least not in this case. What if this person needs some specific kind of help, as he may have a mental illness? In this instance, putting him in jail for the rest of his life is harsh and will not solve anything. In any case, he is still a child so should still be put on trial as one.

On another note, I am interested in reading up on these sorts of things, particularly about how many criminals are released and then re-offend. More definitely needs to be done on the rehabilitation side of things.

This is just me guessing from random bits I hear. But I think that prisoners re-offend because there's nothing else for them to do. They don't have a house or anywhere to live. They can't get a job because they are former criminals and depending on the age they went into prison, they have no education either. They have no help from anyone. If that is indeed the case, it's no wonder they re-offend.

I think the death penalty would honestly be doing the child a favour. Either way, he will always live his life in so much guilt, regret and fear. He'll never be able to have a proper family, he'll never be able to have a proper job, he'll be living in jail for the rest of his days, he'll be living in constant fear for his life and he will be living in regret and guilt. Now, can someone seriously tell me they would rather live through all of that rather than kill themselves because I don't know about you, but I'd choose death over that any day.

I feel sorry for their families and friends the most. They'll never be able to look at their daughter being happy ever again and what's worse, they'll never be able to meet their unborn grandchild. To think, two lives were alive and breathing a day before and all of a sudden, their daughter's and grandchild's life was snatched away from them. The same could go for the father and the father has to live in the shame that his son killed his stepmother and his unborn sibling. So this kid hasn't wrecked two lives, he's wrecked quite a lot and at that age, they know what they're doing and what they're saying.

Also, I agree with a couple of people on here when they said that they would like to see his head on a platter if he harmed any of their family. I think I would too.

Many criminals who have killed a person live all right lives after prison. To quote from Wilson in House, "You'd be surprised with the things you can live with."

I know it was dramatic hyperbole, but would you actually want the decapitated head of a 13 year old boy on a platter in front of you?

This is just me guessing from random bits I hear. But I think that prisoners re-offend because there's nothing else for them to do. They don't have a house or anywhere to live. They can't get a job because they are former criminals and depending on the age they went into prison, they have no education either. They have no help from anyone. If that is indeed the case, it's no wonder they re-offend.

It is a shame that they're all heaped into one category: "Criminals." You could make a relatively small mistake, do some time in prison and be screwed over for the rest of your life.

People make mistakes, there's no denying that. Although, there are varying degrees of the kinds of "mistakes" you can make. Shooting a pregnant woman in the head whilst she sleeps is more than just a "mistake." The person either needs some kind of serious help or they are completely devoid of any compassion or remorse.

The problem with news like this is that we never know the full story. What if it turns out that the mother had been abusing the child? Does this now make you sympathetic towards him? Do your initial feelings change?

I pointed this out earlier about whether he was abused by the stepmom or something but even so, he still wouldn't really have a life worth living for. People may feel sorry for you if this were the case but you'd be haunted by memories and stuff and you'd still be in jail for life.

I pointed this out earlier about whether he was abused by the stepmom or something but even so, he still wouldn't really have a life worth living for. People may feel sorry for you if this were the case but you'd be haunted by memories and stuff and you'd still be in jail for life.

Isn't everyone saying that he just went about his daily life going to school and everything? What makes you think he'll be haunted forever? For all we know he had a mental disorder and didn't even know it was a bad thing to do.

People change when they grow up. A silly mistake and overreaction when you are eleven doesn't mean you are broken forever. And life in prison isn't the worst thing in the world ever. I'm pretty sure if you go up to people in prison and ask them if they rather be dead than in prison, they would say no. There's some people who even commit crimes just to go to prison, because their life is so bad. Some prisons haves TVs with many channels. All right food, sports activities, education centres. Prison isn't worse than death.

Even at that I think he should get about 20 years. Life imprisonment in Ireland is about 25 years if I remember correctly, so that seems like a good amount. Although he's just a child so maybe less.

Edited by Diageo

he'll be living in jail for the rest of his days

I honestly doubt he's going to get life. The american media likes to blow this sort of stuff out of proportion. There have been cases where children have committed crimes before that carried ridiculously long sentences and they've got off on lesser charges, etc. In this case, I bet he'll be found "not criminally responsible" and spend quite a few years in a mental facility.

Isn't everyone saying that he just went about his daily life going to school and everything? What makes you think he'll be haunted forever? For all we know he had a mental disorder and didn't even know it was a bad thing to do.

People change when they grow up. A silly mistake and overreaction when you are eleven doesn't mean you are broken forever. And life in prison isn't the worst thing in the world ever. I'm pretty sure if you go up to people in prison and ask them if they rather be dead than in prison, they would say no. There's some people who even commit crimes just to go to prison, because their life is so bad. Some prisons haves TVs with many channels. All right food, sports activities, education centres. Prison isn't worse than death.

Even at that I think he should get about 20 years. Life imprisonment in Ireland is about 25 years if I remember correctly, so that seems like a good amount. Although he's just a child so maybe less.

You just said it yourself though. You just said that he carried on like normal and then you said people change when they grow up. Memories and regrets can come back to bite you in the ass and I think it will for him. If it doesn't for him, people will remind him if they know him or whether he goes to jail, they'd torment him about it.

If he doesn't feel anything now, I'm pretty sure he may do later on in life.

@Dazz: I understand where you're coming from, but... If the kid eventually can't bear living that he'll wish to take his own life... That's his decision to make, not the courtroom's. The law can't just decide "Your life will be unbearable, might as well kill you out of mercy".

It is possible that psychological treatment will help the kid, and it is also entirely possible that he will overcome his guilt, or maybe succumb to it, we don't know. But ending his life prematurely because he might be traumatized is not the correct course of action, I believe.

Unless they give just cause as to why he just couldn't wait to kill someone as to be liable under the big boy's form of justice, I see no reason why they don't carry on treating him like a juvenile. Harsher or not.

You can just say "They should kill the boy because his life will be miserable". If you go by that logic, then you'd also have to go and kill all those poor people in third world countries who have no food, no water, no future. Or anyone who has dealt with a very traumatic event in their life that will change them forever...

Honestly, killing someone because they killed another person is the most stupid thing ever. It gives out the wrong message (that killing is right, if done by the executioners) and really doesn't stop people from going around committing murder.

The fact that you want a 13 year old boy (11 at the time) to die is just beyond me. If the boy does get a life in prison, and he himself feels he would be better of dead, then he can take his own life. It's his decision. To put that decision in someone else's hands is murder, and would make that person no better than the boy himself.

You can just say "They should kill the boy because his life will be miserable". If you go by that logic, then you'd also have to go and kill all those poor people in third world countries who have no food, no water, no future. Or anyone who has dealt with a very traumatic event in their life that will change them forever...

Honestly, killing someone because they killed another person is the most stupid thing ever. It gives out the wrong message (that killing is right, if done by the executioners) and really doesn't stop people from going around committing murder.

The fact that you want a 13 year old boy (11 at the time) to die is just beyond me. If the boy does get a life in prison, and he himself feels he would be better of dead, then he can take his own life. It's his decision. To put that decision in someone else's hands is murder, and would make that person no better than the boy himself.

:bowdown:

Yeah, you go girl. You tell em.

How can you compare people born into a miserable life, or people who suffer in life, to someone who commits a case of premeditated murder? I don't understand the point you're making.

And I think if you set out to take someone elses life, then I find it hard to justify why these people should have any rights given to them.

The death penalty would send out a pretty clear message do you not think?

I'm so bored.

Just toss him into Arkham Asylum and deal with it.

Just toss him into Arkham Asylum and deal with it.

So he can help the Joker take over the Asylum and then take over a portion of Gotham City?

I know you're down with the crazy shit but that's going too far.

If the boy does get a life in prison, and he himself feels he would be better of dead, then he can take his own life. It's his decision.

But it's not though, he'll be put on suicide watch so he can't take his own life if they suspect he is going to attempt it.

I can see the point your trying to make, I understand what you mean, my comment was off-hand given the boy will never have a life to begin with, it's either death by his hand or someone elses or spending the life in a cage.

Which honestly would you prefer?

I feel somewhat for this boy, I'm not particularly sure why, but the thought of spending the rest of my life in prison, which could be til he's past 80, seems horrifying to me. Eventually that boy may wish to change his ways and will never be given the chance to do so..

As it is, the boy should still be tried as a boy, as someone has mentioned in any other case the boy would be treated as such, but for some reason America now wants to charge him as an adult to be able to give a harsher sentence it seems.

Which frankly is ridiculous and brings a bad message.

I've never supported the concept that people can't change. First of all, the idea is bullshit. People can change. It happens all the time. Second of all, I truly believe people deserve the chance to redeem themselves. There are numerous reasons why people commit crimes, but in many cases it's not their own fault that they've ended up there. They've been pushed there by circumstances in their lives. Why not try to help them instead of simply punishing them?