N-Europe

The Death Of DVD & Blu-ray

Murr

You don't have broadband?

1290813686643964611.jpg

The national statistics websites claims 60% of the UK population uses the internet daily, of which around 40% watch something online. 73% of households had an internet connection. 9.2 million adults in the UK have never accessed the internet.

The average broadband speed in the UK is 5.2mb. With this speed a DVD would take roughly half an hour to download, yet alone blu-rays which are between 17-40+gb (as opposed to a DVD being 4.7gb).

And that's just for the UK.

And one more thing: ever thought "ooh let's watch a film hmm let's see what I've got...that!"? Would you prefer "ooh let's watch a film hmm let's see what I've got...that'll do now just to wait a few hours for it to download."?

Hm, I find it odd that people are comparing streaming services with downloading services. I am not talking about streaming things, but downloading and saving to a hard drive, a library of films. This year virgin are rolling out 100MB broadband. Many countries in Europe have had speeds like that for ages. In five years that could double.

32GB usually takes a while to download.
Most blu-ray movies are in the 15-20GB margin. Only those with an exceptional bit-rate, like Dark Knight, go over the 30GB marker.

And one more thing: ever thought "ooh let's watch a film hmm let's see what I've got...that!"? Would you prefer "ooh let's watch a film hmm let's see what I've got...that'll do now just to wait a few hours for it to download."?

Ever thought "Oh, I'd like to watch that!" and you don't have it and it's late at night and there are no buses and you don't drive and all the shops are closed anyway? You have to wait a lot longer for your movie then ;)

I haven't bought a DVD or Blu-Ray in forever except as a present. I don't like move to digital distro tho, as(altho i rarely actually watch stuff) it's nice being able to borrow/lend stuff. The last 5 years technology and the internet have evolved massively(i'm pretty sure 5 years ago wireless was only just become an isp standard), so I'm not ruling anything out for the possibilities of another 5 years time. I'm not sure if/how well this will work though, maybe trying to take the route of Netflix(which I hear is awesome in america, and shit over here), but I think it's also highly motivated by a can't beat them join them attitude to try and get a grip on the problems of piracy and the losses it's causing for these big companies. Personally, anything involving Sony, I think I'll avoid.

Ever thought "Oh, I'd like to watch that!" and you don't have it and it's late at night and there are no buses and you don't drive and all the shops are closed anyway? You have to wait a lot longer for your movie then ;)

I don't tend to want to watch films I don't own. And I live in London. There's a 24 hour Tesco just ten minutes away on a 24 hour bus from down the road :p

EA CEO John Riccitiello (one of my favourite CEO names every) seems to thinks discs aren't going anywhere as well.

"The point, though, that I’m making is that sometimes you’re not going to play because your internet connection is down and sometimes delivering a game by streaming is a really inefficient way to do it. I think the consumer, at least in my view, doesn’t care what the technology is, what lives behind the veiled curtain; they just want it to work. I’ve yet to see - I haven’t played OnLive recently - but I don’t think you’d bring OnLive to a LAN party for first person shooters, because latency matters a lot in those circumstances. So, I think there’s different technologies for different purposes, and the consumer wants it to be largely invisible."

I don't think it will ever completely replace physical media in our lifetime. How many of you can honestly say your parents would be fine dealing with digital distribution (without calling you up for help)? It will grow, sure. But replace? I remain unconvinced.
My dad's actaully doing precisely this. He's already replaced his vinyl with CDs, and then his CDs have died out to his iTunes account.

His VHS has been replaced by DVDs, and now he's got two HDDs and a new smart set-top box, Fetch TV. While it doesn't yet have a lovefilm channel, it's close.

Thing about digital distribution is that you can only buy the write to watch/listen/play something on that service alone. Instantly you become tethered to that service and have to cope with throwing away all of your hard spent cash if you want to go elsewhere.

That's where physical product wins. If I want to watch a movie on a different DVD player doesn't mean I have to go buy the movie again.

Also look at how consoles are pushing digital distribution, with iplayer &c being available. The idea of having your own profile which you can transfer to other devices is how cloud tech would work. Download speeds aren't the issue as they will certainly grow as the generations pass. I'm sure we'll see an oligopoly on disitrubution for a fair few years, with different places offering different media to distribute, but eventually we'll have a couple of services that'll offer everything we want.

Sharing things with friends is pretty much the only use for most hard copies. My DVD collection is essentially a bunch of movies I love that I want more people to see, and I lend them out. Legally speaking I'm sure there are clauses that tie the licence of ownership to us alone, so I guess it depends on how it goes forward. There are limitless possibilities - perhaps there can be a shared account between friends? Perhaps there can be something akin to the 'drop-box' where people can share certain profiles. It depends on how companies go forward, I guess.

There's no need to panic though! People still release vinyl and CDs.

I'm not even sure if I've... argued anything here, or if I've even properly replied to those I've quoted!