NEurope
"Yule" vs. "CHRISTmas"

It's called "jul" in Danish as well. We Nordics hafta stick together! :awesome:

You got that right.

It's called jul in Norway as well, but we were teached in English classes that's it's called Christmas, so even I use that when I'm using the English language.

Hm. ::shrug:

It's Christmas here in England and I doubt that will ever change. Even if people here aren't Christian they will still likely give and receive presents on Christmas Day.

I don't personally believe in Christianity or any religion but Christmas is just a day where you give and receive presents. People associate it more with Santa than Jesus nowadays. It might be quite different within Christian families but I think we generally keep to the idea of peace and good will fed to us by countless Christmas films and tv specials.

For me, Christmas really is just an excuse for presents.

-

Yes, awkward, at least to me.

Edited by Ville

It's Christmas here in England and I doubt that will ever change. Even if people here aren't Christian they will still likely give and receive presents on Christmas Day.

I don't personally believe in Christianity or any religion but Christmas is just a day where you give and receive presents. People associate it more with Santa than Jesus nowadays. It might be quite different within Christian families but I think we generally keep to the idea of peace and good will fed to us by countless Christmas films and tv specials.

Yeah, I don't think people care about the etymology. Christmas is Christmas. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time the meaning of a word has deviated from its original meaning. Heck, I don't care about the etymology of Christmas. Calling it "Yule" in English seems strange to me. :heh:

The modern way of celebrating Christmas/Yule is a lovely mishmash of Christian and non-Christian traditions, anyway.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I suppose there is still a constant presence of Jesus throughout the month though. A lot of traditional cards will show the nativity scene, shepherds following a star or an angel or something. Also most primary schools (at least when I was at school) will have the kids re-enacting the nativity.

I think it kind of washes over the majority of us. We know originally Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus and that's probably why we are very against any proposed name change. My Dad (not particularly religious himself) gets annoyed if they use Xmas instead of Christmas on TV or in newspapers. The problem is that Christmas is so widely celebrated even by non-christians that some people are worried about offending other religions.

The reason Christmas even exists is because however many years ago the church decided the 25th of December should be a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus. So even if it's just an excuse to give and receive presents we accept that the actual day is supposed to be about Jesus.

Well we have days of the week dedicated to nordic gods we don't believe in, months of the year for roman emperors we don't especially revere, so it's a moot point :P

We still have the Yule Log! Like a regular chocolate log but with and added coating of chocolate with a grain pattern to make it look like... a log.

Christmas has never been a religious thing for me. When I was a kid it was all about the presents but these days I just enjoy the feel of it all. Its the one time of the year where to me everything just feels that bit better. Seeing the decorations, watching crappy tv, having a nice big meal and being with my family while we all try a little harder not to start an argument.

I suppose there is still a constant presence of Jesus throughout the month though. A lot of traditional cards will show the nativity scene, shepherds following a star or an angel or something. Also most primary schools (at least when I was at school) will have the kids re-enacting the nativity.

I think it kind of washes over the majority of us. We know originally Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus and that's probably why we are very against any proposed name change. My Dad (not particularly religious himself) gets annoyed if they use Xmas instead of Christmas on TV or in newspapers. The problem is that Christmas is so widely celebrated even by non-christians that some people are worried about offending other religions.

The reason Christmas even exists is because however many years ago the church decided the 25th of December should be a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus. So even if it's just an excuse to give and receive presents we accept that the actual day is supposed to be about Jesus.

Here's a difference between Christmas in Denmark and Christmas in GB/US: Jesus, the Nativity Scene etc. are not even on Christmas cards over here. We don't make plays about it, either. There really isn't much CHRISTmas left in Christmas over here, except for a bunch of the traditional Christmas songs/hymns and the tradition of going to church at Christmas.

I like Yule.

I also like Christmas.

But which one's better?

There's only one way to find out...

It's all about trying to stay PC nowadays, which is why you'll find more and more people saying "Happy Holidays" or something to that effect.

Same here, I appreciate it's origins as a religious festival, although I think Christianity are just doing a cover of the original version.

still, it really isn't a religious holiday for most Finns at all.

Neither is it for most Danes. We do have one crazy priest, though, who is infamous for preaching the idea that "nisser" (elves) are actually domestic demons (which they are if you're a hardcore Christian), an idea that clashes very much with the modern idea of elves. He even hanged an elf in front of his church! But some modern day vigilante stole it and hid it. :heh:

Unless they are aspiring linguists, language teachers, or just plain interested in psychology or personal development ;D

Like us! ;)

It's all about trying to stay PC nowadays, which is why you'll find more and more people saying "Happy Holidays" or something to that effect.

Don't start me on that, I've yet to meet any who is actually offended when you say "Merry Christmas". I've had friends at school who were of other religious beliefs and we've exchanged Christmas well wishes and what not. It's a bit too far to be offended by someone wishing you have a good day or two.

I barely even register the fact that "Christ" is in the word "Christmas"

And in your name!

I wouldn't look too much into a single word, I mean, the nordics don't celebrate Yule simply because December is more awesome than the other months (...or do you? :heh:)

It's weird for us Portuguese speakers, too, considering we call it "Natal", which is an adjective that roughly means "where someone was born" (Example: Terra Natal = Homeland/Land where you were born). Other romance languages use something similar.

Christmas is a nonsensical name, compared to this simplicity.

Regardless, Christmas is becoming less and less a religious ceremony, and more of a secular one. The origins of its name in different languages is irrelevant, honestly.

I do find it ironic that, the more Christmas distances itself from Christianity, the closer it is to preach messages of love and tolerance to every person on earth, which was the goal of Christianity in the first place.

I am thankful that this bullshit does not exist in Portugal (or Belgium, apparently)

Yule/Jul used to be the name of the celebration of the midwinter day. It carried over when the nordic changed gods.