Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rez, explain Legacy. How do you get to lvl 100?

Call of Duty Prestige. Except you keep the skins, taunts and emblems you purchased (if you didn't, you have to reach the correct rank before you can buy it again). You also keep the treasures.

I am up to Chapter 13. Wow what an amazing experience. The whole game is so much better than Uncharted 2 its crazy. Didnt think it was possible. The action sequences are much more sandboxed and dynamic. You have large areas with so many options and 'situations' whether its crates sliding across a swaying ship or you gaining a turret etc. Also they maximise Drakes agility for shooting situations (shoot up whiile hanging below!)

Loved the puzzles. They are not hard but they arent completely mindless throwaways either. I love how the game gives hints but its rewarding figuring it out yourself. Great prsentation.

The story is brilliant so far with an amazing cast performing at their best. The graphics are unbelievable. Its the best looking game out there. I mean that lighting is insane. Drakes skin, the clothes flexing and folding realistically, to crazy modeling and textures. Naughty Gods know what they are doing. I am humming to some of the music already.

An unbelievable game so far.

Finished it and am up to level 18 on the multiplayer...

I like immersion. It's usually what really sells a game to me. It's probably why Super Metroid is still my favourite game of all time.

So Uncharted 3 gets announced and I get all excited because I loved Uncharted 2... then footage starts getting released and I grow increasingly disappointed with what I see... and I kind of lose hope it'll ever reach U2's standard. Then it comes out and reviews are glowing all around. I decide to buy it, but my expectation are low... (much like they were at the time I first played U2 as I thought U1 was massively overrated)

So in I go, the game starts out good, nothing too good or too bad, a solid start with a bar brawl and displaying a much improved melee system, setting up the stage nicely and cleanly. A second chapter captures a welcome little nugget of Drake's early years and my only minor gripe with it is that it seems to be a little too scripted, the only reason it actually bothers me is because it seems very unnecessarily restricitive, forcing you to follow a certain route with no actual reason, but hey, minor niggles, right?

Then it starts going downhill, as the next 8 or so chapters are a sea of completely uninteresting and repetitive brown and grey cover shooter fare. Often closed uninspired surroundings (with a little redemption on the Chateau level, which looks gorgeous but plays boring too). Cutter and Chloe are mere clutter and bring nothing to the table, the villains start boring me to hell, with their constant pop ups and uninteresting existance, these guys are more annoying than Team Rocket!! And so I trode along for one fourth of the game...

Then suddenly Drake goes to Yemen. Ahh... this is why I loved Uncharted 2, the magnanimous scope, the cultural immersion, the gorgeous vistas, fantastic!!! Chalenging and immersive gameplay helps, with the standard shootouts being permeated and circumvented with some amazing open market fist fights (fish slapping -> fantastic), chase sequences and gorgeous urban exploration. A cute little temple with a great puzzle follows and an amazing drugged sequence really helps sell the package as a whole. So far, I'm in awe of this second half!

... until the pirate bit comes. I didn't hate it, and I actually thought it would serve a great purpose as buffer if the game had kept that larger-than-life scope from the start, but considering how battered with closed and uniteresting environments I was from the first half, it tasted a bit sour and samey. The sideways cruise ship section did provide some release with it's inspired design, though.

The plane bit is mostly boring and yawn inducing, excluding the dazzling conclusion, of course.

Thank the gods, from this point on, the game is constant climax. Amazing 'till the end. The desert bit is amazing and awe-inspiring, and the abandoned citadel and dustbowl shootout aren't all that good, but stand surrounded by amazing set pieces and so they breeze through.

The convoy chase scene is U3's train sequence. Amazing, immersive, vivid, challenging and compulsive, this is where the potential of this franchise really shines! I bow to ND for managing to pull these off so well.

The conclusion is much more satisfying than that of the second game, with a great ending and the franchise's first boss fight that isn't terrible (but isn't memorable or good either) and a nice wrap up. A shame that the villains are terrible one dimensional cardboard figurines.

So overall I guess it was a good game, but nothing compared to the greatness of the second one, for this one is much too full of mediocrity, compared to the almost constant brilliance of Among Thieves. Especially since the bits that it does nail are mostly lifted straight from it's predecessor. The story is ok, good if you consider the competition, but still nothing more than something present only to hold the package as a whole. I don't really need to say anything about how good it looks, do I?

As for the gameplay, I'm rating it as if it were equal to the multiplayer, since that aiming issue in the SP is absolutely terrible and unforgivable, but will eventually get patched and as such is better off being ignored for now... all this to say that it playes like a dream, with very responsive tight controls (especially if you play it on a 360 controller, like me, ah ah!!).

In comes the multiplayer, which is the best 3rd person shooter multiplayer experience I've ever played, managing to build constructively on U2's already brilliant multiplayer. I have nothing more to say other than "perfect", for what it is. Bravo Naughty Dog, bravo!

So, overall score?

Personal score - 8/10.

Impartial score - 8.5/10.

A very good game that I recommend to pretty much everyone. Despite it's shortcomings it's still quite an exciting package. Thumbs up!

All the 10/10 and GOTY claims are highly exaggerated though and personally leave me stunned at just how influenced the world is by confirmation bias. Kudos to Eurogamer for providing the world with an actual review, instead of a fanboy love letter, as seems to be the case everywhere else...

And that aiming issue better get solved soon, or else it's just terribly unprofessional and bad design of Naughty Dog's, which can't be tolerated considering how it works perfectly in both the predecessors and the multiplayer on this one.

: peace:

If Uncharted 3 isn't GAME OF THE YEAR then I don't know what is.

So far? For me it has to be Portal 2 or Dark Souls. We'll have to wait and see if Zelda doesn't come and change that.

Either way, you have to admit you're very biased when it comes to Uncharted, ReZ-o!!?

That said, I have to join you guys for online one of these days. :D

EDIT: Thanks, happenstance, forgot about Skyrim!!

I don't think I'm biased at all, I'm just a big fan. For example I fucking adored Batman Arkham City and am a comic book fan but felt Arkham Shitty was a giant let down.

Uncharted 3 wasn't perfect and I put it about on par with 2 (multiplayer maybe pushes it over) but its easily the best thing I've played this year.

I wouldn't have a problem if something else good cleaned up on GOTY (Skyrim, Zelda) but it'll piss me off if something bland and shit wins (Batman, Assassins Shit etc)

I don't think I'm biased at all, I'm just a big fan. For example I fucking adored Batman Arkham City and am a comic book fan but felt Arkham Shitty was a giant let down.

Uncharted 3 wasn't perfect and I put it about on par with 2 (multiplayer maybe pushes it over) but its easily the best thing I've played this year.

I wouldn't have a problem if something else good cleaned up on GOTY (Skyrim, Zelda) but it'll piss me off if something bland and shit wins (Batman, Assassins Shit etc)

You said the aiming issue wasn't a bad thing... just different. I thought I was reading a Choze post, is how biased it felt!!

Either way, I haven't played Arkham City or the new Assassin's Creed, but I doubt either of them will win GOTY. And if Uncharted 3 wins, it just goes to show how loose the criteria are. I mean, Portal 2, Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Xenoblade and Shogun 2 are all better than Uncharted 3, in my book! And I still haven't dabbled in Super Mario 3D Land, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Old Republic or Human Revolution. And... if you count in re-releases, the list grows bigger!!

Uncharted 3 is a very good game,no doubt. But if you ask me it's at the Dead Space 2 level, not the Portal 2 level.

Portal 2 is just as good as the first, no doubt in my mind. Funnier, even!

Not a chance. Portal came out of nowhere for starters. Crucially though, it's shorter, and as we all know brevity is the soul of wit (and generally quality).

Like I've said, all these games suffer from more is not necessarily better (although this effects U3 way less because it's linear and thrives on being bombastic. Uncharted 3's problem is that it wasn't play tested and balanced enough. The thing needs more polish).

Edited by Daft

Arkham is a letdown?

I still haven't finished uncharted 3 but I am absolutely loving it. its haping up to be my favourite in the series. I dont do the goty thing much , its hard to really select a single game. I am not the biggest fan of Uncharted's multiplayer as an exmaple. I cant tell how i will feel next year. I still play some of last years or older stuff.

There are alot of great games this gen anyhow.

Edited by Choze

Not a chance. Portal came out of nowhere for starters. Crucially though, it's shorter, and as we all know brevity is the soul of wit (and generally quality).

Like I've said, all these games suffer from more is not necessarily better (although this effects U3 way less because it's linear and thrives on being bombastic. Uncharted 3's problem is that it wasn't play tested and balanced enough. The thing needs more polish).

Come come, let's not get pretentious here, just because the first Portal came out of nowhere, doesn't make it any better for that. The first one was perfect. So was the second one. Both have fantastic puzzles, and the second one managed to create and introduce great new characters, a fitting backstory, whilst avoiding any milking of the original's lore (loved that there were no cake references)... it was the perfect sequel, equally great in a completely different way. And definitely even funnier, which was a monumental achievement considering the first's brilliance. Cave and Wheatly are fantastic, and so are Atlas and P-Body... It pretty much delivered on every single level and went above and beyond the original not only in length, but also in narrative, humour and gameplay. How can you not love it???

Anyway, the real question is: do you consider Uncharted 3 to be better than Portal 2? Because that one's ludicrous, in my opinion...

Don't level that bullshit accusation of "pretension" at me.

I felt Portal 2's length was unnecessary. The form Portal arrived in was perfect, as part of a bundle of other games. It didn't need to be long and it benefited from that endlessly. Portal 2 had to be longer because it was a stand alone product and I felt that killed some of its momentum. There's no point in arguing one way or the other because that's what I think and you think its fantastic. That's cool, I respect your opinion. I'm not bothered we don't agree. I don't need to insist on anything. Hell, I'm happy you loved it so much. I don't really feel strongly enough either way to be really honest (My GOTY goes to Infamous 2 because I've never played a game that flowed so beautifully).

As for which is the better game? That's just a stupid question. That's like asking 'Which is the better fruit, mangoes or pineapples?' (I'm leaning towards pineapples). What do you even mean by 'better'.

If you really want me to answer it I'll say I thought Uncharted 3 clearly had more faults (I've listed a whole load on the past few pages). Having said that, I enjoyed it more. It's utterly bombastic, I didn't care about its flaws because I was just having too much goddamn fun. Portal 2 is the 'better' game, I guess, but as I got closer and closer to the end I became less enthused by it. If Valve ever wanted to do a real episodic game, Portal 2 would have been the place to start (but that's a different discussion altogether). Portal 2 was more of Portal because it is essentially a puzzle game. Uncharted 3 in contrast was better precisely because it was another installment of the franchise, it didn't suffer because of the games before it because it's essentially a character driven action game.

After all that, both games were brilliant but both games had their faults. I think the theme this year with games is that they've all gotten bigger and they've all suffered because of it but this hasn't affected Uncharted anywhere near as much as Arkham Shitty, and to a lesser extent Portal 2 (the first felt much more claustrophobic and was, due to it coming out of nowhere, mysterious - Srly, who the hell would have expected a character like GLaDOS to have emerged out of it).

TL;DR - Stupid question doesn't get answered.

Oh, and then there's Uncharted's online which is awesome. So I guess Uncharted is the 'better' game. Or something.

Not sure why you're asking me how I didn't love it because at no point did I say I didn't.

What??? It was a pretentious remark daft-o!! No need to take it personal!

Anyway, you seem to be faulting Portal from deviating from the original's formula, which really was the point Valve insisted on... It is, imo a perfect sequel precisely because it doesn't try to do more of the same better, but instead goes in a completely different direction when it comes to ambience and mood. I thought that was great! You seem to be focusing on the things it didn't do (even if it was never supposed to) too much.

Like, what the hell does multiplayer have to do with anything?? Oo

As for the fruit thing, come on, you yourself said you have a goty, therefore you believe in the need for comparison, what's with the fruit thing?? Terrible analogy, D!

What??? It was a pretentious remark daft-o!! No need to take it personal!

It wasn't a pretentious remark. That annoys me. You don't agree with me and you don't like that. It should be patently obvious that it's an opinion.

Anyway, you seem to be faulting Portal from deviating from the original's formula, which really was the point Valve insisted on... It is, imo a perfect sequel precisely because it doesn't try to do more of the same better, but instead goes in a completely different direction when it comes to ambience and mood. I thought that was great! You seem to be focusing on the things it didn't do (even if it was never supposed to) too much.

Did you actually read my post?

"Portal 2 was more of Portal because it is essentially a puzzle game." U3 is a story with a game attached. This is blatantly inherent in how they are both designed. I never even mentioned the mood or the ambiance which I agree with you on. (Sadly not) Needless to say, "There's no point in arguing one way or the other because that's what I think and you think its fantastic. That's cool, I respect your opinion."

I understand why you like Portal. Just like I understand what makes it a brilliant game. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy it more than another game. Why is that so hard to understand? Yes, Lost in Translation in meant to be a beautiful piece of film, I think it's a load of wank. But I understand why it is critically acclaimed. I even agree with a lot of the praise. Do you get that there can be a legitimate disconnect between critical capital and personal capital? Because if you don't then you just wasting my time.

And please point to where I said Portal 2 didn't do one thing or another.

Like, what the hell does multiplayer have to do with anything?? Oo

You asked me which was better, U3 or P2. You can't pick and choose what is part of the game and what isn't. You cited Portal 2's coop. Uncharted 3 has fantastic online. Whatever comes on disk is the game.

As for the fruit thing, come on, you yourself said you have a goty, therefore you believe in the need for comparison, what's with the fruit thing?? Terrible analogy, D!

It's not a terrible analogy. You're comparing games against some mythical objective standard. Infamous 2 is my GOTY because I had a blast with it. I have a GOTY and so I must believe in comparisons? On a very basic level, yes. Do I believe it's the 'best' game this year? I don't know. I don't care. It was awesome. You question was bullshit.

I have no idea why you are trying to assert your opinion.

I like you but you ain't half full of shit sometimes.

Edit: Actually, I can't really be bothered with this. You're right. I'm wrong. Blah.

Now I think about it I totally did have an awesome time on Portal 2 and it's the best game ever.

Edited by Daft