N-Europe

Documentaries

Ashley

Watched any good ones recently?

I watched The Great Happiness Space last night (without realising it was a documentary before watching it). It was about a male host club in Osaka.

Fascinating gendered relationships in it (a lot of the women interviewed who attend had 'regular' jobs at first but turned to prostitution to pay for the clubs and then went there because they hated their jobs and wanted affection. However, all affection was false and they'd spend thousands trying to keep the guys' attention) and a nice insight into the business. I'd recommend it and I believe it can all be seen online.

So yeah, any you've watched recently?

Watched one on Mike Tyson recently, on More4 I think. I always knew he bit Evander Holyfield's ear(s) off but I was too young to watch it as it happened, and never really had a massive interest in boxing. It was Tyson presenting it, and he provided a really mature look at his own life - from being a petty thug on the streets to his relationship with his trainer, his nefarious burst into the top tier of boxing elite and his pompous, heartless downfall from it.

It kinda made his actions against Holyfield forgiveable. But it didn't explain his stupid face tattoo!

Watched American Movie recently, about some bum in small town America who has not a shred of talent in any department other than through sheer conviction being able to sell people on his batshit ideas for films. I don't know where he gets his artistic drive from, maybe its because nobody around him has the heart to tell him how god awful his shit is, but that's what makes it amazing and endearing. Him and his mentally retarded (literally) best friend, probably from doing too much PCP as a foetus, have an interesting dynamic... its just a great watch, although a bit depressing at points.

Got halfway through Trekkies as well...I'm watching this in increments, as I can't bear to watch too much at a stretch just because of the pure wahjah and embarrassment and awkwardness and ohmygodthatdentistisdressedascouncillortroyandhiswifeisdata kind of insanity.

I have a sort of itch that is only really scratched by watching socially imbecillic people form cliques and make fools of themselves completely sincerely and without any intended irony. Like that woman who went in full Star Trek costume to the Clinton trial. I'm really jealous of the way they just don't give a fuck.

I've been told that I'd really like Darkon as well, a documentary about LARPers.