N-Europe

Registering a domain name

Eenuh

So I want to get my own domain name, so that someday I can have my own site on it. At the moment I don't have the time to design/set up my own site, but I was thinking about getting the name already and to get it to link to one of my other sites for now.

Thing is I find all this stuff confusing. I went to tsohost.co.uk, and they ask if I want ID protection. No idea what this is and if I need it?

They also mention nameservers, but again I have no clue about it. This is what they say about it:

If you want to use custom nameservers then enter them below. By default, new domains will use our nameservers for hosting on our network.

Any idea what I'm supposed to do here?

Like I said, I don't have a site yet or hosting, just my galleries online (etsy, redbubble, deviantart, my blog). Right now I just want to get the domain name to refer people to one of those sites, if that is possible?

Basically I'm a big noob when it comes to this sort of stuff, so if anyone can help me out that would be great! =)

Shorty suggested godaddy.com for me both when I asked on behalf of a friend and when I was sorted out ownership transference of this place. I'm sure he had a myriad of reasons as to why but I just kind of went along with it but this is me essentially beating Shorty to the punch but without all the info :p

Although I do know you can have domain forwarding so they type in weloveeenuh.com (or whatever) and it goes to your redbubble which is what you want, yes?

Probably best to wait for someone who actually knows what they're talking about but I got here first :p

So I want to get my own domain name, so that someday I can have my own site on it. At the moment I don't have the time to design/set up my own site, but I was thinking about getting the name already and to get it to link to one of my other sites for now.

Thing is I find all this stuff confusing. I went to tsohost.co.uk, and they ask if I want ID protection. No idea what this is and if I need it?

Your personal information (name and address) that you registered with your domain is viewable if someone looks up your domain. You can choose to hide the information which is what ID protection is.

They also mention nameservers, but again I have no clue about it. This is what they say about it:

Any idea what I'm supposed to do here?

Like I said, I don't have a site yet or hosting, just my galleries online (etsy, redbubble, deviantart, my blog). Right now I just want to get the domain name to refer people to one of those sites, if that is possible?

Basically I'm a big noob when it comes to this sort of stuff, so if anyone can help me out that would be great! =)

Nameservers points the domain name to your website host, since you don't have one you don't need to worry about this atm, just use theirs.

Sorry! Although, don't take my word for it, make sure you check with them first by raising a support ticket.

Have you signed up for a year, or is there any grace period in which you could cancel?

With their £14.99/year hosting package, you could host a complete website and a wordpress blog, or you could set up a 301 redirect to wherever you like. In fact their Lite hosting package is not bad at all, Php 5 support.... comes with 3 databases (need one for wordpress) and 10 mailboxes. Missing SSH access but you're not likely to need that.

Also, what is the domain name? (out of curiosity :))

Shorty: I have no idea what any of that means or what I would need haha.

If I do start a site, I may want to keep open the option to have a shop on there someday. Though I have no idea what I need for that. =P

And Cube got the domain right heh. Need to get myself ready for when I finally/hopefully start as an illustrator. =)

Shorty: I have no idea what any of that means or what I would need haha.

If I do start a site, I may want to keep open the option to have a shop on there someday. Though I have no idea what I need for that. =P

Sorry, I was basically saying their cheapest hosting package should be good enough for you to run a site, in its infancy at least. As for a shop, if you're just going to sell through paypal you don't need anything special. If you want a payment processor it gets expensive.

Hmm, I'm not sure how the shop thing would work best. I want something that's easy for people to use of course, but I might need a more advanced system for that.

Anyway, I may just go and sign up for some hosting and then set up a simple page to redirect people to my galleries or something. Until I have time to set up a proper site heh.

Thanks Ten10. I think zen-cart and OScommerce are supported by tsohost (as in, I can select them from a list), so I'll check those out at some point. =)

For now it's just gonna be a placeholder page I'm afraid. Hope I can design a website soon enough heh.

Thanks Ten10. I think zen-cart and OScommerce are supported by tsohost (as in, I can select them from a list), so I'll check those out at some point. =)

For now it's just gonna be a placeholder page I'm afraid. Hope I can design a website soon enough heh.

Yeah I think they're supported under one click install which means you just click a button and all the management and configuration is done for you. I think at the most from what I remember all you have to do is select a directory and database name.

Regardless even under the lite hosting package from tsohost you could if you wanted to run a main wordpress site and then use another service to handle the shop side of things. Or you can just run a wordpress site with a shop plugin.

Finally you can just run one of those e-commerce CMS platforms which also have site functions included.

I would recommend taking some for a test drive from here: http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=3&category=eCommerce

Personally I would go for wordpress site while using another service for a shop, but you might find the all in one solution easier to manage.

Link to some info on wordpress e-commerce plugins:

http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2010/05/20-plugins-that-extend-the-standard-wordpress-feature-set.html

Edited by Ten10