NEurope
chairdriver

DISNEY MAFIA GAME

So that lynch list of Nintendohnut was basically mafia members and neutrals plus a couple of townies who got led along...

Every single mafia member, every single neutral, Diageo (who was being accused by Nintendohnut) and Dazz, who was new to mafia games.

Damn, that's the shadiest lynch ever :heh:

And no-one paid attention to it afterwards? Awesome :D

Are we actually counting this as a mafia win? Or is this going to be similar to the game that never was that happened waaaaaay in the past? I suspect, as Rez is both the mafia leaderboard thread-starter and a member of the winning team in this game, that it will be counted :p

And no-one paid attention to it afterwards? Awesome :D

Are we actually counting this as a mafia win? Or is this going to be similar to the game that never was that happened waaaaaay in the past? I suspect, as Rez is both the mafia leaderboard thread-starter and a member of the winning team in this game, that it will be counted :p

Hey, I'm not biased...I'll go with whatever Chairdriver says.

Then disregard what he says if its different to "The Mafia Win" ;)

Wow, the roles are great, I'm sorry to see it end like this. I'll admit that, as a killer, the Love thing really annoyed me but it was a good mechanism :) I hate you all for figuring out how to lynch me and carrying through with it, I was having so much fun :p

Just looked back through the last 10 pages. Damn, it ended stupidly.

After Nintendohnut's lynch we had EddieColeslaw's, which was a good thing. But after that the mafia jumped onto a suspicion of Aqui1a and that went through ignoring many of our's suspicion of ReZ and Tales. The game went on hiatus, I was dead, and no-one actually had the time or was bothered enough to read back a bit to see even who they thought were suspicious.

Of course it's up to Chairdriver, but I don't really think it is totally fair to give the mafia the win under these conditions.

If the town still knew about these suspicions, us mafia members would've directed the attention towards ReZ anyway (our plans for the "hiatus night" weren't sent by PM, thus the mafia wasted a night due to the hiatus).

The plan was, of course, gaining a day, but if we had lynched ReZ, we would've won, no doubt.

Yeah but you guys would say that, wouldn't you? :p

I don't really care either way - I was dead anyway :)

We would have won if we didn't forget everything about the game, including all you suspicious people.

We would have won if we didn't forget everything about the game, including all you suspicious people.

No you wouldn't have. A death was technically actually a death in this game, regardless of whether you were resurrected. To win, the town had to kill all the mafia, and when they killed Hades, anyone he had resurrected would have died with him. So when he died, 3 townies would have died instantly (including the free kill the Villains would get for losing one of their own).

The town thought they were winning, because randoms kept getting resurrected. Really, every time a random townie was lynched the town got closer to losing (which happened a lot). Each day the mafia survived without anyone questioning them, they closer they got to a win.

One thing that seemed to throw a spanner in the works was the sidekick mechanic. Few seemed to realise that mr-paul was Belle, and Beast was his sidekick. No one seemed to make any connection between Yzma and Kuzco either (my favourite thing in the whole game). I love joke mechanics like sidekick/love though. Mixes things up. No one seemed to be actively interested though -- I mean, I assumed Eenuh would be voting for anything that moved, considering her sidekick power.

Edited by chairdriver

I think people are easily put off by intricate game mechanics. It would seem that a good deal of us (myself included), while admiring the new and clever ideas, actually prefer it when things are more simple. Few seem to have the drive to put enough effort into figuring out new mechanics.

One thing that seemed to throw a spanner in the works was the sidekick mechanic. Few seemed to realise that mr-paul was Belle, and Beast was his sidekick. No one seemed to make any connection between Yzma and Kuzco either (my favourite thing in the whole game). I love joke mechanics like sidekick/love though. Mixes things up. No one seemed to be actively interested though -- I mean, I assumed Eenuh would be voting for anything that moved, considering her sidekick power.

Because I'd be safe from a nightkill? It would mean voting for people who would likely be townies. I'm always a hesitant voter, and a sidekick power isn't going to change that I'm afraid. Maybe if I felt I was going to be killed at some point, but I never felt that way during the game.

I found the game a bit confusing. Didn't really know what was going on half of the time, who people were, what questions I could ask etc. Kept forgetting about the sidekick power too actually.

Like has been said, the game was good, but the pause just made people forget everything. Too bad.

[The upside of the abrupt ending is that the majority of the characters are still alive to use and abuse if I do a sequel].

I think the intricacies were only made more... intricate due to the short write-ups. I know you like shorter write-ups chair and say that's how mafia games should be played etc etc, but in a game where there are new game mechanics to be confused about, the write-ups were also confusing in their own way. I certainly didn't know what was going on for most of the game, I was trying to muddle through with my power, which was useless. Still, I'm sure this was what you were going for, it just made the game a little difficult from a townie perspective (in my opinion - I'm sure others will disagree)

I think maybe with the nature of the game the mafia were too overpowered. They weren't killing which made trackers hard to catch them doing anything suspect, there were hardly any ways of discovering their names apart from my power where I could banish people and learn their name, which I needed to stay pretty quiet about. Every time one of them died, one of us would've died, and with the nature of the write-ups being so sparse, the town found it hard and had distractions like people without voices.

I love all the ideas you implemented chair, I just feel there were slight balancing issues.

Funny. I thought it was a bit inconvenient, not being able to act as we pleased (we couldn't kill or silence consistently, disguising our own was made mostly based on instinct, a few plans of ours didn't work out, and the only reliable thing we had was the Hades-Jafar exploit we later found).

Looking at these roles, there were tons of things that could've gone wrong, but didn't. For example, mr-paul "banished" Peeps on the first night...and we just so happened to have disguised him as Pinocchio's fairy. He appeared in the write-up as such, and was cleared of suspicion for the rest of the game. If we hadn't disguised him...Peeps would've been easily lynched.

Though I do think the mafia had perhaps a very easy access to intel (not to mention awesome players :heh:).

Still, excellent game. I don't mind intricacy at all, so it was just excellent, despite the ending.

Edited by Jonnas

Yeah I was lucky at the start. It pretty much gave me real evidence of being good and I think I was trusted (or at least not suspected) for the game. We had a really strong mafia, Jonnas, Tales, ReZ, HeroicJanitor and myself - all very active players and fairly experienced. I would've been surprised if we hadn't won.

It didn't seem like we were that far from a victory anyway. Cube was going to die the next night because he'd declined my offer and we could force him to target me (which would kill him) and I don't think anyone would've accepted any offers at this point in the game, which effectively gave us night kills as I could make an offer each night and the next we'd just force that person to target me and get killed.

ReZ couldn't be lynched while the rest of us were alive and swaying the votes to him wouldn't have been hard - especially if Rez himself were to play up to it. So that would've bought us an extra night anyway. At this point in the game I think our only worry was mr-paul because he could banish but with that knowledge we could've probably put a fair bit of suspicion on him...

Anyway, enough rambling. I enjoyed this game very much and I do think everyone played well with their roles. I can see why paranoid cops are used, I think it's good for a game but obviously frustrating for that player to find out they're useless... but they are contributing to the game and even though they are effectively useless, that's the point of them. It creates confusion and more importantly, discussion.

All in all, good game. Enjoyed. Win. :yay:

It didn't seem like we were that far from a victory anyway. Cube was going to die the next night because he'd declined my offer and we could force him to target me (which would kill him)

So one we'd gotten rid of Eddie, protectors were utterly pointless?

So one we'd gotten rid of Eddie, protectors were utterly pointless?

There were no protectors. Apart from Pacha, who would become Kuzco's sidekick when someone voted for Ellmeister -- he'd automatically prevent one death every night. [it was my favourite thing how Kuzco was technically a stunning role, but seemed really "..." when reading the PM.]

Closest thing otherwise were roleblockers (Tinker Bell and Esmeralda) and self-protectors (Princess Kida, Terk, Merlin (who was a revenge-killer)).

Of course, loving any townie would have amped up their powers.

Edited by chairdriver

There were no protectors.

You sure about that?

Tarzan and Jane - Cube

The meeting of two worlds has brought out the best in both. Now Jane may do the talking (you can now post in the game thread as a normal player would) and Tarzan may do the action. Every night, you may target another player or target yourself. That player will be protected from nightkills.

You now have two sidekicks, the gorilla Terk, and Professor Porter. On nights your sidekicks come into play, you may choose one of the two. If you choose Terk, you will roleblock anyone that targets you. If you choose Professor Porter, you will learn the character name of anyone that targets you.