Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I <3 THE 90s

Daft

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am already notorious for having "bad taste" on these forums, I might just as well admit that I like the Spice Girls, Aqua, Cartoons and the like.

Everybody likes them, the question is do you "like" like them?

We had the best of TV and movies. You can argue games but unfortunetly the 80's and 70's win the music round.

I miss the 90's.

TV? What? The 90's mostly sucked, TV-wise.

Also, as far as movies are concerned, it's quite an awesome decade, but not in the top 5 decades.

You're mostly right about games, though.

Since I am already notorious for having "bad taste" on these forums, I might just as well admit that I like the Spice Girls, Aqua, Cartoons and the like.

Its cool. Cultural effluence needs its connoisseurs too... :heh:

The nineties were like the last breath of a society that consited of ten year pop culture shifts, or at least thats what the narrative looks like in retrospect, before the internet bubble exploded and the world at large became a homogenous melting pot of mediocrity. In some ways, I think the unpredictability of cultural precedents in the present could be to blame for our economic state, since economics is largely predicated on being able to predict the returns on investment. In the last ten years we've had so many financial bubbles, like the dot com bubble which imploded upon itself when people realised that they'd invested in shares that had absolutely no liquidity whatsoever, to Las Vegas property shares which whiffed before the properties had even been completed. Everything is so unbelievable anomalous; I mean look at last years Christmas No.1; Rage Against The Machine, a subversion that would have been impossible without the coordination of a fairly substantial group of people; a coordination that must be disturbing to the bourgeoisie (lol) since the world market is so dependant on directorial control.

TV? What? The 90's mostly sucked, TV-wise.

Also, as far as movies are concerned, it's quite an awesome decade, but not in the top 5 decades.

You're mostly right about games, though.

With tv we had the best of cartoons. I can't really speak too much for the 70's but the 80's was generally tranformers rip-offs or... well my little pony or Jem.

In the 90's we had the batman animated series, spiderman, x-men

For those who didn't like action there was comedy classics such as

animaniacs, freakazoid

and I challenge you to find me a a cartoon that made such an impact as pokemon or the simpsons( which was great in that decade)

For live-action shows.

The best star trek series Deep space nine aired in this time.

the x-files scared the shit outta people without having to go the cinema.

Fraiser

Red dwarf( I know it got it's start in the very late 80's but season 3 it REALLY took off)

Father Ted

I know you're not from the uk region but the uk game shows were awesome too. Not that this X factor and Big brother crap these days.

Seriously It's hard to argue against 90's been some of the best tv for all time.

I can't help but feel most of these comments are blinded with nostalgia.

Nearly everything looks/sounds great when we view the past. I love the 90's but...come on :p

It was very flawed.

Sometimes yes. A lot of things are better than now though and I believe that's from a non-nostalgic point of view.

IN saying that we will slap our heads when people our age in ten years say

" omg the 00's were awesome remember the crazy frog!"

animaniacs, freakazoid

and I challenge you to find me a a cartoon that made such an impact as pokemon or the simpsons( which was great in that decade)

For live-action shows.

Fraiser

Red dwarf( I know it got it's start in the very late 80's but season 3 it REALLY took off)

Father Ted

I know you're not from the uk region but the uk game shows were awesome too. Not that this X factor and Big brother crap these days.

Seriously It's hard to argue against 90's been some of the best tv for all time

Off the top of my head, television this decade:

Family Guy

American Dad (Much better than FG, imo)

South Park (Started in 1997 but it only really became genius in around 2002/3. Absolute genius.)

Battlestar Galactica (This wins the discussion but I'll carry on.)

The Wire

House

The Office (Both UK and US)

Extras

Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dr Who

Mad Men

The West Wing

Scrubs

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

And FYI, Voyger rapes DS9. Also, Pokemon having a big impact as a cartoon? Hardly. It's a massive franchise, the anime was certainly only a bit part of the colossus.

It's very easy to argue that TV this decade came into its own.

Edit: Also,

Dexter

Lost

Six Feet Under

Angel (Seasons 2-5)

Veronica Mars

Spartacus (Honestly one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.)

Rome

Misfits

Skins

And some morons like Firefly. God know why.

Edited by Daft

And FYI, Voyger rapes DS9. Also, Pokemon having a big impact as a cartoon? Hardly. It's a massive franchise, the anime was certainly only a bit part of the colossus.

.[/color]

I'll just answer this part first...

1: lol at voyager being better than ds9. Ds9 had a continuing plot. You really had to watch it from the beginning.

Roland D Moore even joined the Voyager staff and left after a number of weeks because he didn't like where things were going... and yes this guy would be the creator of the battlestar galactica remake which you claim wins the argument.

2: Slag the pokemon anime all you want but it paved the way for digimon and many others to come afterwards. It basically popularized the whole "anime trend" single handidly.

1: lol at voyager being better than ds9. Ds9 had a continuing plot. You really had to watch it from the beginning.

Roland D Moore even joined the Voyager staff and left after a number of weeks because he didn't like where things were going... and yes this guy would be the creator of the battlestar galactica remake which you claim wins the argument.

Ronald Moore can suck my balls. Voyager was amazing.

DS9 had Quark and Odo. Nuff said.

And I wasn't even slagging Pokemon off.

Ronald Moore can suck my balls. Voyager was amazing.

DS9 had Quark and Odo. Nuff said.

And I wasn't even slagging Pokemon off.

haha ok that's your opinion, you're in a vast minority there though. Wow i've heard arguments between Star trek original series, Next generation and DS9 but never had voyager been lumped in there before. Meh Next i'll be hearing Enterprise. I'm not actually trying to be mean here so you know :)

Just so you know i'm not responding to the rest because you just listed random shows....I can do that too.

and don't get your pants in a twist over pokemon.. Was just saying is all..

The last point of your argument seems to be, somewhat ridiculously, positioned as a positive factor.

How did you sustain such extensive brain damage?

There are a lot of anime fans on this forum and I think we have a lot to thank Pokemon as an anime for. It may not have been very good overall but we all liked it as kids and it made us thirst for more...

There is no reason to get offensive. I never do, and if you get offended by one of my posts then you are taking it too personally.

I've been here like 7 years and you still can't tell I'm joking? Cmaaaan fella =).

Sorry guess it's been a long shitty day for me. I'm not seeing humor anywhere :)

You're the only person I know who rates DS9 anywhere near TNG or Voyager.

You're bizarrely passive aggressive.

Ha in my experience it's the opposite. Wouldn't call myself a massive star trek fan either though.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

With tv we had the best of cartoons. I can't really speak too much for the 70's but the 80's was generally tranformers rip-offs or... well my little pony or Jem.

animaniacs, freakazoid

I agree with you 'til here. Cartoon wise, it was indeed the richest decade ever... maybe because we grew up during them we're biased, but I still think it's got the best cartoons ever.

For live-action shows.

Fraiser

Father Ted

Seriously It's hard to argue against 90's been some of the best tv for all time."

Daft already argued this one better than me (although he included stuff like skins as good tv, but whatever :santa: ), but I shall insist further... how do you not mention Seinfeld, which is 3 times the show Frasier was (and that's saying a lot, since Frasier is awesome)? And you actually like Father Ted? Cheap laughs, is all that ever gave us.

That's one of your worst exports, comedy-wise... How can you name the 90's as good when you had gems like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder in the past? And then in the 2000's I won't even bother, coz like Daft said, it really was the decade TV came into it's own.

Red Dwarf is cool, but it's hardly the phenomenal piece of brilliance you brits believe it to be.

And Star Trek? The whole franchise is pretty much a joke that's been taking itself too serious for almost 50 years now (excluding the reboot). It's amazing to me that it's such a benchmark in fiction, when any single given episode of Battlestar Galactica completely obliterates it's archaic narratives.

Game shows? Yeah... right. :blank:

Slag the pokemon anime all you want but it paved the way for digimon and many others to come afterwards. It basically popularized the whole "anime trend" single handidly.

No it didn't. Dragon Ball did. Learn your facts.

[/harsh reality]

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!