NEurope
Happenstance

The Paranormal

We are not saying that there are no known phenomena. But there is still no proof that it is indeed ghosts. People just jump to conclusions. They could be many other things. More likely things. We have no reason to believe in ghosts over anything else unexplainable.

And if we were to believe in everything that could be, we would never get anything done.

How does that effect what I'm saying in anyway what so ever? What's to rule out you're mistaken, especially when everything else suggests that you are?

OK, I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking. You said:

Would you accept the possibility that you're not actually the first person every to have experienced a new phenomena and were just simply mistaken?

The answer is "Yes, I would accept that I was not the first person". Who said anything about being the first person? Ghosts have been seen for centuries.

My point is people who have seen them don't have to believe they're deluded just because science hasn't been able to prove it yet.

It is incredibly naive to think there are no phenomena we don't yet know about or understand. Maybe, just maybe, some people were closer to the truth than the sceptics, but you'd rather bury your head in the sand.

Yep...

And if we were to believe in everything that could be, we would never get anything done.

Heh, just keep an open mind, that's all :D

I recently had a paranormal experience. Shall I continue?

Was the table old? I....believe that wood expands and contracts in change of temperature. This would explain the creaking for no reason, and it would explain why it got louder when it was outside. Doesn't explain why it turned into a laugh/shriek though, but...yeah...animal/drunk seems likely.

I'm really interested in it. I love things like Most Haunted. :D (regardless of the tru fax)

Yeah I love Most Haunted. Dr Ciarán O'Keeffe is my hero.

fucking ghosts.

No, I don't believe in God.

I loll'd, but essentially true.

---------

I actually used to believe in ghosts until I realised how ignorant I was being.

Basically, 95% of all ghost sightings/reportings/etc happen at night. Now you could propose that yes, ghosts find energy from the light of the moon, or that the alternate dimensions that they are coming from only line up with ours in our night time. Or you could say that at night it is dark and people sleep, become tired and are able to identify things less clearly by tenfold, and people become less rational. The social engraving of "ghosts" into our lives would also skew this, and so many peoples first thoughts would be "Ahhh ghost" when in fact its "Ahhhh, white coat hung over a chair"

Honestly, with our current amount of technology if there were ghosts we would know about it. If you actually think about it...its a ridiculous concept.

Edited by ReZourceman

I'll start this by saying that no, I dont believe in ghosts.

Anyway, in reply to ReZ's last comment about it being a rediculous concept if you think about it. I dont think its rediculous at all if you really think about it, I mean if we are talking about people dieing and coming back form of ghosts then seeing as we are all just made up of energy and energy never disappears then that could be a possible explanation in the realms of science.

Also I never like the "current levels of technology" argument. We know that most things currently in use now will be obsolete in a few years with the way technology progresses but we still assume that the technology we have now is good enough to pick these things up.

I dont think its rediculous at all if you really think about it

An invisible form of someone that once lived that can phase through objects, freely appear and reappear, make noises and interact with things?

I mean if we are talking about people dieing and coming back form of ghosts then seeing as we are all just made up of energy and energy never disappears then that could be a possible explanation in the realms of science.

Actually, the fact that energy is never destroyed or created is a good argument against ghosts, as we know where all the energy from a dead person goes.

Actually, the fact that energy is never destroyed or created is a good argument against ghosts, as we know where all the energy from a dead person goes.

And where is that?

No, you don't think it was animals.

Actually, that said, an animal or a just a creaky old house is no where near as likely as evidence-free ghosts. How foolish of me.

As I previously stated, the house is surrounded by a high fence, thus making the entry of animals or humans extremely hard (tall mesh fence with deep cement foundations, and did I mention that on the other side of said fence that there's a huge drop?), and the house was only built a few years ago. It didn't sound like creaking, I can tell you that now without any hesitation. Again, it sounded like a howling sheiking laughter.

And where is that?

Energy in the form of its temperature, dissipates into the air, since there are no longer calories being burned to maintain the body's temperature. That dissipation does heat ever so slightly the surrounding air molecules.

But the energy of the cells, i.e., the calories, are used by bacteria. The bacteria that helped someone digest their food, now begins to digest the person, or dog or whatever has died. Those molecules are then reused, just as you are a set of used molecules. You have molecules in your body from Beethoven, and Mozart, and Alexander the Great's horse, but none from Elvis. He hasn't been dead long enough*.

So the energy (calories) of those molecules of proteins, fats, carbs, etc, is simply reused. This planet is a closed system as far as molecules and atoms is concerned. The generator of the circulation of those atoms is the sun. Turn it off, and all "circulation" stops.

Molecules and atoms are broken down, reassembled and returned to something living... at least for awhile. As my dad often said, "All of the water molecules in your body have passed thru the kidneys of whales."

Had to Google it because I had no idea about any of this energy-never-dies kind of stuff.

I was concentrating more on my science teachers cleavage than the actual science itself in school.

Edited by ReZourceman

See that actually perfectly fits into an argument for ghosts. If your energy, along with brain energy is passed onto bacteria when you die then who is to say that bacteria dont carry tiny little projectors on their backs, then when this energy is passed onto them the imprint of who you were could be fed into these projectors and thats what people see?

Heh, just keep an open mind, that's all :D

I have a very open mind toward things that matter. Not stupid theories that have no benefit for me or human kind whatsoever. Why not spend your time doing some volunteer work instead of worrying about how ghosts exist.

Gravity and relativity are theories that was an idea.

Hypothesis is the most you could get away with Happenstance.

If string theory and that 11/12 dimension theory are correct, then somewhere in the baltiguiltifaultimultiverse, shit like this exists. That's just about the most scientific yet fantastic thing you could possibly say as a compromise.

Is it ok to hate how science takes the fun out of everything?

Actually, fun is just when you experience a large build up of demophobia in the brain, which in turn is perceived by your consciousness as enjoyment.

Is it ok to hate how science takes the fun out of everything?

You obviously haven't studied enough science.

Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there.

I dont mean just ghosts and demons. Science sterilizes most everything conjured up by peoples imaginations

I dont mean just ghosts and demons. Science sterilizes most everything conjured up by peoples imaginations

And replaces it with things that are often more interesting. Dawkins make the case for this very well in Unweaving the Rainbow, before he got obsessed with trying to jump up and down on religion.

As I previously stated, the house is surrounded by a high fence, thus making the entry of animals or humans extremely hard (tall mesh fence with deep cement foundations, and did I mention that on the other side of said fence that there's a huge drop?), and the house was only built a few years ago. It didn't sound like creaking, I can tell you that now without any hesitation. Again, it sounded like a howling sheiking laughter.

Extremely hard, yes, but less likely than spirits from beyond the grave?