NEurope
Goafer

Forum User Photos

I find your need to pigeonhole her into a gender role offensive. It's obvious that society has conditioned you to need to know gender so that you can make assumptions.

It's not easy being this angry at the world all the time. I hope you people appreciate what I'm doing for you. Martyrdom FTW.

I could also ask if they feel they are transgendered, whether that is pre-op or not. Or whether they feel they is something else they define themselves by.

Then we can also get into their sexuality - hetrosexual, homosexual, asexual, pansexual...I could go on.

<3

pansexual? What's that?

*gets visions of scenes from Pan's Labyrinth*

pansexual? What's that?

*gets visions of scenes from Pan's Labyrinth*

Bisexuality for hipsters.

(It basically means bisexuality but also including attraction to transgendered people, which I find kind of stupid because it gives the assumption that bisexual people have a dislike for transgendered.)

(It basically means bisexuality but also including attraction to transgendered people, which I find kind of stupid because it gives the assumption that bisexual people have a dislike for transgendered.)

Surely it also implies that trans are different, whereas I assume that someone who is attracted to trans is pro-trans and would therefore class them as the gender they choose and not see them as a separate gender.

Surely it also implies that trans are different, whereas I assume that someone who is attracted to trans is pro-trans and would therefore class them as the gender they choose and not see them as a separate gender.

Exactly. I understand some of the reasoning, as "bisexual" suggests that there are only 2 types of gender, but really I think we need to stop the constant stream of new labels. It seems to be a bit of a contradiction.

Bisexuality for hipsters.

Why stop there, why have heterosexual and homosexual at all?

Pansexuality refers to being 'gender blind'. It encompasses a sexuality that goes beyond just physical attraction, too. To be completely honest, it's probably a better term than bisexual since, as you said, that reinforces gender binaries.

If people want to self identify as pansexual, then why not? You can't just accept some labels and think others are stupid because they are all socially constructed.

Calling it 'bisexuality for hipsters' just undermines the identity and is actually quote offensive.

Pansexuality refers to being 'gender blind'. It encompasses a sexuality that goes beyond just physical attraction, too. To be completely honest, it's probably a better term than bisexual since, as you said, that reinforces gender binaries.

If people want to self identify as pansexual, then why not? You can't just accept some labels and think others are stupid because they are all socially constructed.

Calling it 'bisexuality for hipsters' just undermines the identity and is actually quote offensive.

Thank U, India.

jg1mae.gif

Well that "bisexuality for hipsters" thing was quite clearly me just being stupidly offensive for the sake of it, hence why I explained it better underneath. I find the distinction between Bi and Pan kind of offensive myself as I've stated above, as it suggests things about Bisexuals and Transgendered people that they probably don't want.

(And I won't even go into the whole debate about "offense" and what the fuck it actually means. Whose offense is more legitimate? Who fucking cares?)

I really, really understand the idea of Pansexuality and do think technically it is a better word than Bisexual, but I find the contradiction in the Queer community interesting where half the time everyones "we don't need labels for love, our love is no different to yours" while also bringing out a new label for ourselves every couple of weeks.

I don't have a problem with people identifying however they like, just find it an interesting "digging ourselves a hole" scenario. Thingy. Yeah...

Edited by Hamishmash

At the end of the day, within a group of people you're always going to have contradictions.

Just deal, and strive to be the most fierce/fabulous / the best.

@Mad monkey: Have you died your hair? I'm sure it was darker in the last photo.

...whoops.

Anyway, I should have gone into descriptions, but I assumed people might have googled them.

@Mad monkey: Have you died your hair? I'm sure it was darker in the last photo.

No, must be the lighting, not dyed my hair in a while.

Ah ok, never heard that term before. Even tho i fit into that category, i'll still just call myself bi ;)

Well that "bisexuality for hipsters" thing was quite clearly me just being stupidly offensive for the sake of it, hence why I explained it better underneath. I find the distinction between Bi and Pan kind of offensive myself as I've stated above, as it suggests things about Bisexuals and Transgendered people that they probably don't want.

(And I won't even go into the whole debate about "offense" and what the fuck it actually means. Whose offense is more legitimate? Who fucking cares?)

I really, really understand the idea of Pansexuality and do think technically it is a better word than Bisexual, but I find the contradiction in the Queer community interesting where half the time everyones "we don't need labels for love, our love is no different to yours" while also bringing out a new label for ourselves every couple of weeks.

I don't have a problem with people identifying however they like, just find it an interesting "digging ourselves a hole" scenario. Thingy. Yeah...

It's definitely a good view on it, there's also gender queer and all sorts to think about when getting into this type of discussion, it's an interesting one and it's always difficult to find out what people actually define themselves as even when they come out with a label, because so many don't understand the terms themselves.

I'd be impressed if you could get it done well, wonder who would be able to do it in this country..hmm.

You could try at the Tattoo Convention in September (there is probably several around the country, but I know there's one in London in Sept).

2ihnua0.jpg

"That's not just some guy I picked up in a dog bar. Paul and I are in a committed relationship."

"Is he a cross dresser?"

"Goodness no. Paul is a gender dysmorphic bigenetalian pansexuaaaal."

2u7vjbp.jpg

(the 'pansexual' is obviously spelt phonetically there because Jenna always speaks naahhshuralee)

Labels. Fun for all the family.

Or something.

It's slightly related.

Masquerade party last night for a friend's 21st

230394_10150259225168689_513473688_8825222_2973023_n.jpg

That's so cool. Did you make that yourself?

Na, bought it. If I made it myself, it'd be a square bit of cardboard

Holding the Scott Pilgrim DVD in the shop it was filmed in:

227630_10150573362460092_825510091_18557677_1549379_n.jpg

Outside the Second Cup from Scott Pilgrim:

224612_10150576040750092_825510091_18597463_816698_n.jpg

And hanging around in cloudy Toronto:

229322_10150569293285092_825510091_18518654_7791086_n.jpg