NEurope
jayseven

National Pride

It may have been me. They do that everyday at SeaWorld Orlando when the park opens.

I have no national pride and dislike the concept entirely.

I was born in Brazil but am not proud of that. I don't like following teams in sports because when they win or lose, I don't get anything from it. I don't find enjoyment in it.

I have been living in Ireland for 10 years, but I'm not proud of Ireland either. The only things I am proud of are the things I have done.

Both Ireland and Brazil have their good and bad points, and looking at them from an non-patriotic perspective is what I prefer doing. I could move to any other country in the world and would not feel proud of that country either. There's enough things in Ireland to keep me occupied and it would be difficult to move to another country where I have no friends.

On the subject on National pride, I have no family pride either. I think of my family on the basis of individual people, and I don't treat my family better than others just because they are my family. There are some people in my family I like and some I don't. And I dislike the fact that I am expected to become friends and hang out with someone just because they are a relative. I also do't feel sad if a random relative dies of whom I rarely spoke to, or never saw.

I am not so sure about national pride.. We can all be thankful for what we have, but it is also good to go out there and learn from others. We are lucky in the UK to live in the country that we do, but there is sooooo much out there that we can learn from.

When I came back from Malaysia, I gave my sister some Cameronian tea, which is really good quality tea, but she rejected it because it was from a country other than Britain or the US in her mind. She likes tea, so I find people like her pretty funny! You can give somebody a Studio Ghibli film as a gift to watch on their Sony TV, but they wont watch it because it is made by Japanese people..

Northern Ireland is a bit of a disgrace when it comes to national pride...

We've got enough "national pride" that people feel the need to bomb whoever disagree with their narrowminded views.

Nationalism and Patriotism is an exercise in ignorance.

Americans yesterday celebrated Columbus Day. Referring to the Italian Stallion Christopher Columbus. Who "Discovered" America. He was then responsible for the murder and rape of 3 million natives and effectively became the first slave trader of america. His son was also the first slave trader of african people.

I love how everybody seems to be assuming that people who exercise national pride are also xenophobic. You can take pride in something without hating everything else.

In terms of the people: I'm proud of what our country used to be, but a bit embarrassed by what it's become.

Or to look at it a different way: I'm proud of our country, but ashamed by some of the people. I take pride in our country much like a gardener takes pride in his garden. England and the UK are beautiful places if you're prepared to explore.

I think national pride can be a good thing, but most people seem to use it as an excuse for racism. To use the garden analogy again, a good gardener makes his garden beautiful then invites others in to appreciate and enjoy it, not seals it off to outsiders.

Isn't there a difference between patriotism and nationalism, though? As far as I've understood, patriotism is being proud of your country while nationalism is thinking your country's better than other countries. But I may be wrong about this?

Isn't there a difference between patriotism and nationalism, though? As far as I've understood, patriotism is being proud of your country while nationalism is thinking your country's better than other countries. But I may be wrong about this?

The La Li Lu Le Lo?

Nationalism is an ideal. Patriotism is acting upon that ideal. I think.

Either way, Nationalism does not encompass intolerance towards other countries, even if the word has been associated with it before.

Patriotism is a very similar concept, but it hasn't been used by the intolerants of the past.

Edited by Jonnas

To me I'm proud of the country I live in.

I am just not proud of the people who live here.

I was watching Mock The Week one time, when my digibox froze.

It took me 10 minutes to realise that it wasn't Andy Parsons in the middle of a joke.

I used to dislike Andy Parsons, but there have been a few times when he has been remarkably quick witted.

I really don't like the way he delivers his jokes, but I find him quite funny sometimes.

Good thread.

That English is predominantly the main spoken language in trade around the world bothers me little, it only annoys me more that we have a culture so determined not to be arsed learning a second language.

True, the Anglo-American language and culture are pretty overwhelming...tv, radio, internet, movies, games and so forth. You guys are in the spotlight all the time...

Finland is a great country, really lucky to have been born in here...peaceful place, good education, little corruption, pretty stable geographical area, good social security, government paying us for studying, very small uni fees etc etc. Still, like someone said, I feel more like a citizen of the world. Don't see a need to attach myself to some particular area...This also goes with the idea of military: even though this country is a great one, I would not go so far as to kill other people in its name, not even in self-defense...

In Finland, nationalism is somewhat tied into the Winter War (1939-40) and the Continuation War (1941-44), both of which were fought against the Soviet Union. Even though time has passed and the USSR is no more, some people still hold grudges against the Russians and the fear of future invasion has not totally disappeared. After all, we do have a long border with Russia, which still has its problems with human rights and democracy...However, since younger people have not experienced these wars or their aftermaths directly, they tend to be less keen on nationalism than the older ones...I'd also presume that the people of Eastern Finland might be more passionate about these issues, since they're the closest to Russia.

Our social closed-ness, for instance. In other countries, people are just more socially open - you can actually talk to strangers on the street. It's hard to do that in Denmark. Ironically, despite our acceptance of people being different, it can be difficult to stand out in the crowd in Denmark.

It's weird, we have the exact same problem of being unsocial...and also severe problems with alcohol usage, a connection perhaps? Also, the Finnish culture almost encourages self-deprecation: underestimating oneself is pretty common, as people tend to think that acknowledging any positive sides of themselves is automatically smug. No wonder we also have problems with depression...Not sure, how tied this is to the education system: the basic approach is more of a behavioristic kind, transferring information from teacher to student, instead of the student being an active learner evaluating the information and himself...The issue of self-esteem or the lack of it, just keeps coming up here and there: in classes, in books, in family / friends...

As for people not wanting "other people" in their land / neighbourhood / whatever, it just shows their own uncertainty and ignorance...failure to recognise that we are all humans, not "Finnish" or "Russians" etc. Those are just mind-made concepts and mental images, susceptible for distortion and inaccuracy...

As for the Finnish flag, it's pretty nice, white and blue, though it's pretty openly Christian due to the cross.

I'm proud of being Welsh, although I don't care about silly things like keeping the Welsh language. It's dead - stop wasting millions of pounds trying to keep it.

Although I can't really call it "national pride" because I'm English.

It's weird, we have the exact same problem of being unsocial...and also severe problems with alcohol usage, a connection perhaps? Also, the Finnish culture almost encourages self-deprecation: underestimating oneself is pretty common, as people tend to think that acknowledging any positive sides of themselves is automatically smug. No wonder we also have problems with depression...Not sure, how tied this is to the education system: the basic approach is more of a behavioristic kind, transferring information from teacher to student, instead of the student being an active learner evaluating the information and himself...The issue of self-esteem or the lack of it, just keeps coming up here and there: in classes, in books, in family / friends...

As for people not wanting "other people" in their land / neighbourhood / whatever, it just shows their own uncertainty and ignorance...failure to recognise that we are all humans, not "Finnish" or "Russians" etc. Those are just mind-made concepts and mental images, susceptible for distortion and inaccuracy...

As for the Finnish flag, it's pretty nice, white and blue, though it's pretty openly Christian due to the cross.

It sounds like Finland and Denmark are very alike in many aspects. We have the notorious Jante Law, "a pattern of group behaviour towards individuals within Scandinavian communities, which negatively portrays and criticizes success and achievement as unworthy and inappropriate."

1. Don't think you're anything special.

2. Don't think you're as much as us.

3. Don't think you're wiser than us.

4. Don't convince yourself that you're better than us.

5. Don't think you know more than us.

6. Don't think you are more than us.

7. Don't think you are good at anything.

8. Don't laugh at us.

9. Don't think anyone cares about you.

10. Don't think you can teach us anything.

While very few people actually live literally by this "code", it's obvious that the mentality is pretty prevalent in Denmark.

Oh, and I also love the Danish flag despite the obvious Christian symbol. It's just so pretty! :p

I'm proud of being Welsh, although I don't care about silly things like keeping the Welsh language. It's dead - stop wasting millions of pounds trying to keep it.

I know what you mean about that, whereas i was born in England, my mum in welsh and her whole side of the family are welsh and live in Cardiff, when i visit most of my relatives don't know much welsh (considering they have lived there all their lives) and i don't hear much welsh speaking in the streets!

Im actually proud of my country today for helping drill out the Chilean miners. Its by far the best world news ive heard in ages.

NASA developed the escape capsule, so im also thrilled that they finally used money wisely

I see you spelt "Behaviouristic" the American way and "neighbourhood, recognise" the English way. I would say pick your version of english, but it was probably just a typo.

I see you spelt "Behaviouristic" the American way and "neighbourhood, recognise" the English way. I would say pick your version of english, but it was probably just a typo.

Actually, recognise/recognize are both accepted in British English. -ise is often seen as British and -ize as American, but some people argue that since the ending derives from the Greek -ιζειν (-izein), -ize is more accurate in both British and American English. But it's a matter of personal preference, really.

Oh right, didn't notice that. I think the suffix "-istic" threw me off there, plain "behaviour" would have been easier to spot...Interesting issue you raised, consistency. I do use the British forms, like "colour" and "recognise", but when we're talking about synonyms that are totally different words, I do have to say that I prefer to use many American variants as well. Here's a list I found:

http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/british-american.htm

I'd pick from either side...just according to what sounds the best. I bet you natives don't stick to one side blindly either...?

More and more Brits seem to use amercanisms. These people should be purged.

I have no sympathy for people who complain about "color", considering that's what it was in Latin. The random unnecessary u's in english words are a blatant relic from the early days of the printing press, where they pretty much made up the spellings of things (the -ough words are a good example).

Shit-century Britain was shit. A time where we actually took steps backward from continental Europe, to bicker about how much we hate France etc. To me, "colour" pretty much sums up the fact that we were so illiterate as a country that there wasn't a dedicated/recognised spelling for most words.

Gah. Color all the way.

Well, I'm pretty proud to be Irish. I would never proclaim stupid things like "Ireland is better than_____" etc. if you know what I mean. I have some patriotism for my country but nothing more, nothing less.

I could just lie and say that I'm not proud and I'm into everyone being one, blah blah blah but I'll admit that whenever I go abroad to whatever country I'm always ecstatic to tell someone, if they ask that I'm Irish. I'm proud of our history etc.

However, we have some of the most horrible and extreme nationalism ever. Coincidentally, we(my school class) were watching a documentary on football teams (rangers and celtic) and the religion that they bring with them and symbolize. Some of the things they would chant was frankly disgusting and it is times like that when I don't feel quiet as proud.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of where your born but when it get's to the stage where discrimination sets in, there's obviously something wrong.

I have no sympathy for people who complain about "color", considering that's what it was in Latin. The random unnecessary u's in english words are a blatant relic from the early days of the printing press, where they pretty much made up the spellings of things (the -ough words are a good example).

Shit-century Britain was shit. A time where we actually took steps backward from continental Europe, to bicker about how much we hate France etc. To me, "colour" pretty much sums up the fact that we were so illiterate as a country that there wasn't a dedicated/recognised spelling for most words.

Gah. Color all the way.

tubfuh, "colour" visually looks closer to how we pronounce it to me ("Kulluh®").

The american spelling looks too short to my eyes. But then it would do. We use the "british" spelling.

It's the same when people over here use "mom" instead of "mum" - it annoys all my senses to read.

I understand what you're actually saying though. I'm not sure why the "u" needs to be removed, however.