N-Europe

Sign Language

Ashley

I randomly began learning BSL a few years ago and intended to do a course in it until I found out it was £200-odd. In my new course there is someone who is deaf and can't lip read too well as his mother tongue is Afrikaans so I want to try and improve myself and be able to communicate with him, even if its the basics (and we can use pens and paper for more complicated discussions like we did at the pub yesterday).

Anyone know of any good (free!) resources or such. I found a few good videos on YouTube but they're quite limited and basics greetings and such.

And of course, do any of y'all know sign language? If so what inspired you to learn?

I done after school sign language classes when I was in year 5, I don't particularly know why I wanted to do it I just remember the opportunity arose. But then it clashed with football practice so I had to give it up, I can remember the basics and alphabet.

There are no good free resources for BSL that I've found sadly, but there might be a few for the linguistically unrelated ASL. The best thing you can get for a starting point is the official BSL dictionary, which is only £30ish and very big, with additional sections on grammar and so on. Anyway, I know some BSL, mostly from the perspective of linguistics, and am interested in learning more - I intend to write a little on it in my thesis.

Interesting topic, I got inspired for like a day to learn, but then never got round to it. Basically bumped into a kid from primary school(whose brother I later in life met through my brother, with no idea for years he was his brother) but yeah, this guy is like proper on the deaf side, he was with a friend of his, and we managed to converse to an extent, but it was of course difficult, what with me not knowing ANY sign language at all. Still though, managed some conversations and actually a bit of a giggle. I randomly bump into his sometimes too, and always feel bad that I can't communicate to him too well, though it's somewhat refreshing that I somehow manage to, but I think that's also because this guy is pretty good at lip-reading.

Anyway yeah, long story short, I want to but have no idea where to start. I meant to try and teach myself the alphabet, so I could continue as I have done before, then just spell out the tricky words. It's obviously a long way to go about stuff, but better than nothing?