Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Might be moving, need help working out costs

CoolFunkMan

My girlfriend and I have been planning to move out for sometime, and we've finally found a place. However, before we deffinitely decide on it, we're trying to work out costs.

We've found a 1 bedroom flat (that's classed as a studio apartment to the estate agents) for £300 pcm. According to the estate agent who showed us the flat, council tax will be £62 each month with water at a fixed rate of £15.

He reckoned that with all the above added to the cost of other utilities would come up to a total of £450 pcm maximum. However, we're not so sure.

So, for anyone living in a rented flat, how much on average do you reckon we'd have to pay for electric and gas. Bear in mind I have a PC, XBox 360 and PS3 that I tend to use a lot, as well as owning a Wii.

We're also planning on getting the internet when we can afford it, and we've claculated all other costs.

Thanks if anyone can help.

well I live in a 2 bedroom bungalow on my own and pay £40 a month combined for gas and electricity.

You've done well if that all comes to 450pcm to be honest. My rent is £650! Dumb thing is looked at 1 bedroom flats where I lived and they were tiny and poxy and still £600 so yeah this worked out well.

£450pcm between the two of you, yeah? That's very good.

The worst electric/gas bill(s) I had in my house (with 5 other dudes) was £620 for the three winteriest months sheffield had to offer. That's around £107 each for three months, less than £35 a month. And that was in a house where the twats left the heating on all the fucking time. The rest of the year was cheaper than that.

By my shoddy calculations that still leaves you with £30 a month, which gets you a standard internet/phone/tv deal if you want it (plus installation, etc).

What's the location, mind you? In brighton a studio flat is upwards of £450 all by itself :P

Well my bills over the past few years have averaged about the following:

TV License - £36.89 a quarter

Virgin (TV, net, phone) - £50 a month

Electric - £35 a month

Gas - £16 a month

I'd say you'd be pushed to get it all within £450 a month, but £500 should be just about doable. It's nothing at all if it's between 2 of you!

Currently I live in a two bedroom two level flat (it's complicated but bare with me), with one other guy.

Our bills stand as follows:

-The water bill is about £10-£15 a month so it's about £7 for each of us.

-Internet we get unlimited with sky and the phone is with bt for £15 each a month

-The gas electric came through (it's every 3 months) for £50, it's just £25 each for three months when the pair of us are game design students and regularly leave computers running and consoles.

- Gas we've not had through yet (every 6 months), but I doubt it'll be that high, I hope it gives you a rough idea. I seriously think £150 is him over-estimating just in-case. But £450 between you is dirt cheap.

I currently pay £320 and my housemate pays the same, but even still for a large (very large) two bedroom flat as it's stated £640 between the pair of us is very cheap.

A wee bit of advice, try to be as tight as possible with using electricity and heating.. We've made changes in our house.. like not using the tumble dryer. And we use a thermos flask instead of reboiling the kettle over and over for tea. (£30 saved over a quarter!) And try to preserve as much money as you can for emergencies.

Good luck!

I did try to consider moving out a year or so ago, but it was working out wayyy too expensive. Now I earn a bit more, I'm in the process of considering a mortgage, which involves saving my ass off for a deposit.. It's a lot harder and more expensive to live somewhere by yourself :(

Thanks again for the help everyone! ^^

Also, I've just found out something very interesting.

I just called the letting agency to ask them more about the flat details, such as gas and electric costs. The person on the phone is 99% sure that everything in the flat is electric and there's no gas at all.

I was worried about the costs of the heating, as electric heating is expensive, but my parents are giving me an electric heater that costs about 50p a month to run and is really good quality.

Oh yes, this is awesome!