NEurope
Cube

70s/80s Cheap & Easy Costume

My uncle's 40th party will be a 70s/80s themed costume party in two week's time. I'm utterly useless at making things so I pretty much need to buy something.

I was thinking of something form BttF, but those seem to had to make. Does anyone have ideas?

As a back-up, I think I can get a Luigi costume together fairly easily.

Some hardcore wax with slickbacked hair, some aviator glasses, a gaudy shirt and skinny jeans (charity shops should be able to help). 70's ahoy.

http://worldoffancydress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15&products_id=67

Top Gun shizzle for you there.

Do browse for other decade alternatives.

A little more expensive, but always a classic:

16529xl.jpg

The only problem is that you're going to need a toilet roll or something to bulk up the gun.

I'm working on finding a cheap gi (with potential dye) for a Ken costume.

EDIT: Got the gi, can anyone recommend any clothes dye?

Something more permanent. The food colouring I used for the Duffman hat is starting to fade. Plus it'd take a shitload of those mini bottles.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Several years ago (early 2000's) I decided to go out for Halloween dressed as Michael Knight, and this was the result!:

17965_108032045877048_100000107587984_201460_1711115_n.jpg

A very much exaggerated wig was the only thing I actually bought, far too big for Knight's perm but I thought it added something :D

The rest is a red shirt of my brother-in-law's, open half way down obviously, a big cowboy belt thing and big chunky boots (which you can't really make out) courtesy of my other bro-in-law, my sister's jeans(!!) because they had to be skin-tight (that bloomin' zipper confused the hell out of me after a few pints though - why does it have to be the other way around for women?!), a pair of old 80's sunglasses belonging to my mum that she still had lying around, and the leather jacket belonged to a mate's younger brother - he was about to give it to a charity shop so I borrowed it first, rolled up the sleeves and the back to make it look a bit too small (was the fashion of Michael Knight!) and stuck it inside with masking tape.

Was actually very successful, although I did get a bit tired of the amount of people trying to talk into my watch and spilling my pints :laughing:

http://worldoffancydress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15&products_id=67

Top Gun shizzle for you there.

Do browse for other decade alternatives.

A little more expensive, but always a classic:

The only problem is that you're going to need a toilet roll or something to bulk up the gun.

I'm working on finding a cheap gi (with potential dye) for a Ken costume.

EDIT: Got the gi, can anyone recommend any clothes dye?

Something more permanent. The food colouring I used for the Duffman hat is starting to fade. Plus it'd take a shitload of those mini bottles.

you used...food dye...to dye clothes? o___O

Go to a dressmakers!!

I've always thought David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust or Jareth the Goblin Lord would be an interesting costume for this sort of thing (complete with The Bulgeâ„¢, maybe). It's just a little bit difficult to find the right supplies.

Go as this guy

the-fonz.jpg

Problem solved. All you need is a tub of hair-wax, leather jacket, jeans and a white t-shirt.

Go as this guy

the-fonz.jpg

Problem solved. All you need is a tub of hair-wax, leather jacket, jeans and a white t-shirt.

Except that it's 50's style ;)

I was a student at the time.

Dye for clothing isn't too expensive, although it's a bit late to tell you now! :awesome:

Dye for clothing isn't too expensive, although it's a bit late to tell you now! :awesome:

You are too late for the hat and pants yeah. But the Gi you can still save! Any recommendations?

This is a bit anti-climatic. As someone else is going as Mario, I've been told that I should go as Luigi.

The really worrying thing about this party is that my boss has also been invited (as he's married to my uncle's cousin). Hopefully he won't turn up.