NEurope
Dante

New Wii Remote

NintendoLife =

We played FlingSmash in February of this year and quite enjoyed it, as our First Impressions show, but its projected release date of Summer 2010 has been and gone without the game hitting shelves. Now retailer Gamestop has released boxart of the game showing the game is set to be bundled with a Remote, seemingly containing MotionPlus built-in.

Titled "Wii Remote Plus", the controller itself looks only slightly different, with a slight curve below the four lights the only alteration visible at this resolution. As FlingSmash requires MotionPlus this is obviously a new controller containing the add-on, but could the game's delay have been caused by the newly developed Remote?

We'll bring you new information on FlingSmash and the Wii Remote Plus as it emerges.

medium.jpg

Looks like the same size as the normal one.

Obviously both long awaited and much needed for the system, but I do have to say this seems a bit too late. There's surprisingly low developer support for Motion-plus, so this seems like basically preparation for Zelda.

What's wrong with it?
Just getting a bit fed up with there constant 'upgrades'. Why wasn't this motion plus in the first place?!

Just getting a bit fed up with there constant 'upgrades'. Why wasn't this motion plus in the first place?!
Because then you would have complained that you had to buy a whole new controller rather than a cheap upgrade?

Plus, the reason why it wasn't done in 2006 is that although the technology existed, it wasn't affordable enough or small enough to be properly used.

Because then you would have complained that you had to buy a whole new controller rather than a cheap upgrade?

Plus, the reason why it wasn't done in 2006 is that although the technology existed, it wasn't affordable enough or small enough to be properly used.

And to be fair, the Wii was a totally new experience, Nintendo could never have known how successful it would be or just how much it would influence the whole industry. At the time they were probably relying on it to be cost effective as well as it being a new experience so they didn't make losses.

Glad I didn't bother buying a Motion Plus upgrade :) I will get this in time for Zelda, none of the other Motion Plus games have been worth the price tag so far.

Glad I didn't bother buying a Motion Plus upgrade :) I will get this in time for Zelda, none of the other Motion Plus games have been worth the price tag so far.
There have been plenty of bargains where you've practically got Motion plus for free... or as is the case with Red Steel 2 atm... the game and motion plus for around £17. Which is way cheaper than buying a new Wiimote and you can sell the game!

makes sense I guess to bring this and get more motionplus' out there and then hopefully increase the number of titles available that use it. I'll perhaps pick one up if the bundle with a game is reasonably priced.

Maybe this is a pretty negligable comment, but if the Wii Remote tech is now housed in the same sized remote, isn't there an issue with the the remote thinking it is two inches higher than it is?

Negligable, I know.

Happy days, I'll have to get a white one. I've only got two remotes and one motion plus as it is, so something like this will be a welcome addition to my stash of Wii tech. It'll be a momentous occasion when I retire my current "main" player one remote for one of these.

I'm surprised it's taken them this long to be honest. Though i've got 2 MP+ for both my controllers anyway, so not in a rush for this.

Well there probably isn't really as much as there should be, there's much more than 4 out there :heh:

I'm a bit annoyed that there aren't more MotionPlus+ games out there. Why would anyone pick up a MotionPlus+ if there was a lack of games to use them with? I've picked one up for Red Steel 2, which I love. Zelda will use it, which is cool. But, we need more of these bigger games that will use it.

It's weird that MotionPlus has turned out like the N64's expansion pack.

I don't think it's that weird - after all, it's following the trend set by just about every other peripheral Nintendo has released this gen..

I don't think it's that weird - after all, it's following the trend set by just about every other peripheral Nintendo has released this gen..

Touché.

In other news, I keep thinking FlingSmash is a WiiWare game.

I kind of meant because it was a big deal when they announced it and it gave the impression that games would now all be MotionPlus'ed.

But instead it turned out like their other peripheral.

I kind of meant because it was a big deal when they announced it and it gave the impression that games would now all be MotionPlus'ed.

But instead it turned out like their other peripheral.

The problem with that is with games that need peripherals, it alienates the ones who don't have these. Of course, it does mean that the majority of them then go out to buy this stuff, sometimes.

Hmm, it is there, so I'm assuming that most developers have the option to use this. Maybe it's because their waiting for Zelda first, where they'll know that a large sector of gamers will then have MotionPlus+...but then a lot of people already have one for WiiSportsResort.

Hmm.

Didn't Nintendo talk about this like when the WM+ was announced?

And Nintendo are probably going to still be manufacturing Wiis in 5+ years, so it feels strange to have these little dongles compulsory to play many games.

I think that six months from now, the Wiimote+ will be the default controller that'll be sold with all new Wiis.

I just remembered that Nyko beat Nintendo to it. They sell the Nyko Wii Wand + since at least 31st of August according to amazon.com so it was probably high time for Nintendo to counter that with an official Wiimote.

Edited by Konfucius