N-Europe

Wii on HDTV

marcel

Hey guys,

Its 2010 and many people are considering to buy a HDTV. I think it would be a good thing to post pictures from HDTV's when playing wii games like mario galaxy, i think it would be a great thing to let the people see what wii on an HDTV look like.

So if you guys are willing to post pictures, it would help allot of people.

(size of HDTV doesnt matter, i can be anywhere from 26" all the way up to 50 or 55").

I doubt every house has HDTVs installed at the moment, but I guess most of us here will have seen Wii on a HD screen - or at least have some feedback from users. Maybe one or two will have little to no knowledge though.

If we're talking about Wii and HD - lets not forget that component cable, guys!

I'll perhaps share an image later, but this is my TV and it is phenomenal for Wii. Bagged it at a bargain price with a 5-year warranty.

wow, sounds good, but im afraid of image retention on plasma tv's. I sometimes play games for 5 hours and i dont want to get any scoring burned into my tv.

Also most wii games are not full widescreen but have little black bars, isnt that a dead sentince for your tv?

Also most wii games are not full widescreen but have little black bars, isnt that a dead sentince for your tv?
My HDTV's at least, has a 'Smart' mode that resizes the picture to widesceen.

When I played through Wario Land I completely forgot that it didn't support widescreen, because right from the get go it filled the screen.

I think it was only until I changed the screen mode once that I found the borders.

wow, sounds good, but im afraid of image retention on plasma tv's. I sometimes play games for 5 hours and i dont want to get any scoring burned into my tv.

Image retention is practically non-existent on modern plasmas. It's generally a scare story to get consumers into buying LCD screens.

While we're on the topic, Plasma is much, much better for displaying Wii games. Many large LCD screens will cause the image to suffer from huge amounts of 'jaggies' - component cable or not. So if you're not serious about HD, but want a big TV for your Wii, go plasma. They are generally cheaper than LCD as well as they are cheaper to manufacture when LCD screens hit 40 inches +

What the original poster would be looking for is a LCD television with a good upscaler !

exacly, but not only for me but for others as well. And im not someone to bring my wii or 360 to the store to test it out.

Im going to upgrade to a 46 or 50 inch hdtv and want to look how wii games stack up to such a big tv with 1080p. (its for my mediaplayer, wii and xbox360)

You should keep in mind that jaggies and such not only depend on the upscaling capabilities but also on the sharpness the TV is set to (which can be adjusted).

If you have a chance to test you might also want to get a component cable for that, because of superior picture quality and progressive scan. I guess some TVs also handle progressive better than interlaced.

You should keep in mind that jaggies and such not only depend on the upscaling capabilities but also on the sharpness the TV is set to (which can be adjusted).

If you have a chance to test you might also want to get a component cable for that, because of superior picture quality and progressive scan. I guess some TVs also handle progressive better than interlaced.

The problem with my current tv is that if i adjust the sharpness than the text becomes blurry but the jaggies are still there ( less pronounced but still jagged) thats in 480i and 480p mode (yes official nintendo branded cables)

Hope that the wii2 will atleast support 1080p for the people with a full hd tv (are they even selling 720p tv's in 2010::shrug:)

The Pansonic Viera Plasma range have excellent upscaling capabilities. Really impressive.

I am not sure photographs of Wii on these TVs will really show off the differences between different brands and the superior image plasma offers. Try some independent stores - my local is very happy to accommodate. Other than that, try looking at some reviews online.

Honestly, for the money, you won't do any better than the Panasonic Viera plasmas.

The Pansonic Viera Plasma range have excellent upscaling capabilities. Really impressive.

I am not sure photographs of Wii on these TVs will really show off the differences between different brands and the superior image plasma offers. Try some independent stores - my local is very happy to accommodate. Other than that, try looking at some reviews online.

Honestly, for the money, you won't do any better than the Panasonic Viera plasmas.

im still afraid of image retention on plasma tv, that why i have a lcd panel. I play about 3 to 5 hours in one sitting ( mostly on friday afternoon), i dont want to buy an expansive model to get image retention and burnins. Besides isnt lcd much sharper than plasma.

I've got a Samsung Plasma, no problems with image retention and I have played upwards of 4 - 6 hour sessions, usually on weekends, 2 - 3 hour sessions on weekdays. I do of course have the burn-in reduction turned on on both the Wii and the TV just incase, but as I said no problems and I've had it for about 2 years now I think (or almost)

I've found newer plasma models give better quality than LCD's especially with Wii (with component cable)... LCD's seem to have more jaggies, where I don't have a problem with them much on my 60 inch plasma (or is it 55.. can't remember.. must measure it sometime). Mainly only see them on Wii Sports/Resort, but nothing bad.

Of course if you really want the best quality then go for an LED ;)

Edited by Mokong

Nope. Plasma far exeeds LCD, in all areas but one - economy (plasma uses more electricity than LCD). Image retention and screen burn in are no longer issues for plasma screens, any suggestion of this is plain wrong.

For Wii, you can't beat plasma. Cut that, for gaming you can't beat plasma; constrast (blacks), smooth and sharp motion, higher refresh rates. Images are simply spectacular. Any reputable independent store will confirm this, and put to rest any unfounded fears of IR and screen burn.

If your in the market for a TV take a look at some online reviews, thats your best option.

Wii looks good on a 1080p LCD (I have a 37'' one) just as long as you make sure you have a component cable. With the stock cable (composite) it looks crap.

Anyway, have you seen a DVD playing on an HDTV? They look good too and they're 480p too. I don't have a Blu-ray player yet and I'm completely satisfied with DVDs.

Surely it can't beat a Sony Triniton CRT when it comes to Wii image quality ?

Having used a 36 inch Trinitron TV CRT for past few years, I absolutely believe theres been a huge jump in Wii image quality with the move to a 42 inch plasma. Yes, up close jaggies are noticable, but after 3-4 ft i struggle to see them. Brightness, darks, colour, smooth movement, all incredible on the Panasonic plasmas.

That said, we're comparing (presumably) 4+ year CRT with a brand new range of plasmas.