NEurope
ReZourceman

The Wire

I've only ever seen up to season 3, but it is amazing. I need to finish watching it but each season tends to destroy my life for a few days as I waste in bed doing nothing but watching The Wire. Too many favourite characters, Freamon is a badass though. A real police.

Well, up until Christmas I'd only seen season 1, but I got the complete boxset, and have since seen almost everything - just a few episodes of season 5 to go. Brilliant stuff, of course.

To be honest, 1=3, the 4th is only a tiny bit better, and the only reason I didn't like season 5 as much is because of the whole
serial killer

stuff, which seemed a bit too farfetched, to me. But the rest of the aspects of the season (which are 95% of it) were still as brilliant as ever, especially that "full circle" feel you mentioned. Also, you should use spoiler tags, he just finished season 4.

What, and you didn't think Hamsterdam was farfetched? Wigga please :heh:

It wasn't that farfetched....it was only a block or two across wasn't it?

Hamsterdam actually posed some interesting questions, and was pretty easy to accept as a device to advance the plot. The SK thing didn't serve any purpose except create manpower.

I actually really like the parallels of two very different men, both in different positions of power but doing something controversial for the greater good.

Just finished season 4. Highly depressing tone throughout.

And whilst it must be an exaggerated representation of Baltimore, it does provide for a hell of a lot of interesting thoughts, about culture and the differences between here and there. It's like I've been living in a rosy haven my whole life.

Fantastic show.

Just finished season 4. Highly depressing tone throughout.

And whilst it must be an exaggerated representation of Baltimore, it does provide for a hell of a lot of interesting thoughts, about culture and the differences between here and there. It's like I've been living in a rosy haven my whole life.

Fantastic show.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's true.

Season 4 is my favourite. It sums up everything great about The Wire and it has the best B-cast of the lot. on top of it all, the finale reduced me to a blubbering emo wreck so there's that.

That film is so far up my alley that I can taste the vomit of a pre-teen alcoholic on a Friday night.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's true.

Season 4 is my favourite. It sums up everything great about The Wire and it has the best B-cast of the lot. on top of it all, the finale reduced me to a blubbering emo wreck so there's that.

A body in every vacant? Really? I mean, really?

I know a lot of it must be true but it's definitely exaggerated.

I pray.

It wasn't every vacant, was it? It didn't seem far fetched to me- the bodies they find are from a long time ago and it's the work of a particularly vicious gang over that time period. These are just the ones homicide expect to find as part of their daily routine, remember. They've just been well hidden.

True, but I'd be horrified if those bodies (22+ iirc) weren't discovered after all that time. Bad record management yo'. And I wouldn't call those bodies 'well hidden' either.

But yeah I do agree, it is just an extreme gang case. Still, the amount of corner shootings is obscene.

Just watched the first two episodes of this (I'm always late to watch stuff!) - seems really good so far.

Not a massive deal, but can anyone tell me why it's not in widescreen?

It's old school. I don't think any series is in wide screen, at least 1,2,3 and 4 aren't.

Yeah when they started the series nothing was widescreen then when it became an option they stuck with what they had for consistency.

Yeah this has started on FX recently from season 1, I've set it to record the season,

watched the first episode and seems pretty decent, Will be watching next episode this weekend at some point.

How old is it exactly? Typewriters in Police offices?? seem's very old.

2001 I think?

You'll soon realise that the typewriters are symptoms of the entire BCPD being a cash strapped cluster-fuck. They're very, very out of date...

I've always been annoyed that because this isn't widescreen, and that it uses some kind of double line tech-crap, it probably won't ever be released on Blu-Ray.

But I'm too scared to buy the boxset in case it is somehow released.

Same with Sopranos, why no Blu-Ray release?

2001 I think?

You'll soon realise that the typewriters are symptoms of the entire BCPD being a cash strapped cluster-fuck. They're very, very out of date...

Ah fair enough, there was a scene where they see some super computers (for the time anyway) at another place and were in awe of it,

so that makes sense now yeah.