N-Europe

Broadband woes (Rip)

Jimbob

And when i have moved house next week, my parents are getting a broadband deal from BT with a 10gb* monthly cap usage limit. I said to my Dad that i don't think this will be enough, he said it will be more than enough. Yeah, for anyone not going on XBL to play games. They know i play online, and now he is seeing to it that i don't play online. Which is just flipping great really, see to it that the one person who helps the most gets screwed the most. Nice.

(*unless 10gb is enough for XBL (i don't download much, just the occasional patch and maybe a piece of DLC once in a while)

If anyone could confirm 10gb is enough for XBL gaming, then i shall be happy and the above rant/paragraph will be void.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

10GB should be enough for online gaming; it doesn't actually use too much.

Online gaming normally uses 10-15Mb per hour but is dependent on the game. World of Warcraft can use from 4-10Mb per hour, while CSS can be up to 40Mb per hour.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

10GB should be enough for online gaming; it doesn't actually use too much.

Well, i hope it's enough anyway. Otherwise me won't be happy at all, and will ask for unlimited (which i already have enquired about). People say XBL doesn't use too much as 10gb is plenty (that will include usage for PC's as well (mainly mine and the downstairs one).

My parents sky has been bumped up twice just because I play WoW and xbl. Its somewhat ridiculous but they only pay 7.50 a month at unlimited anyway..

Bt are a rip off for internet so it's no wonder they don't want you bumping it up! I'd have avoided them like the plague, they can be worse with their prices than virgin and virgin are expensive enough (although they can be quite good..)

My parents sky has been bumped up twice just because I play WoW and xbl. Its somewhat ridiculous but they only pay 7.50 a month at unlimited anyway..

Bt are a rip off for internet so it's no wonder they don't want you bumping it up! I'd have avoided them like the plague, they can be worse with their prices than virgin and virgin are expensive enough (although they can be quite good..)

50mbps Virgin Media is pretty amazing. No limits, super fast (can download a gig in like 8 minutes if everything is good)

Our current provider (Orange) has unlimited download/uploads a month and 4 mg+ speeds., which was great. Only paid £15 a month for that as well. There was nothing wrong with this at all, so i didn't see them needing to change providers (seeing they had sincere problems with BT Broadband the last time they used it, idiots for going back i say). You know the old saying, don't fix what isn't broken.

BT ask for £15 a month for a faster speed (which is what they want) but a 10gb cap in exchange for the bigger speed. I heard XBL doesn't use too much (from what people have said anyway), i shall see how the cap usage goes and if it goes over they will have to increase the cap. And i shall repeat the words "told ya so" if this occurs.

Edited by Jimbob

Orange are complete bastards if something does go wrong, forget it, you won't get anything out of them if it does. We were down for weeks, no warning, no reasons why, in the end we switched to Sky because their customer service was that bad.

BT are just complete rip offs, they charge so much when sky and virgin compare so cheaply, sky more so than virgin, but sky do different packages. I love sky, I used to hate it, but then we got bumped up a package and it was much better (we went from 5quid to 7.50 for four people in the house using laptops and me on wow or xbl, so not exactly horrible), now its just my parents, but its nice when I come home to be able to do whatever and not go over their limit, I have practically the same package at uni now too.

XBL has never made a difference to sky, it's just me playing wow alot and xbl, using both on a day to day basis has caused it to go up, but then its not much again, so again it doesn't matter, I'd personally buy my own router and move theirs out the way haha.

Sounds good, i will have to have a word with the parents tonight and see what can be done to up the cap. Because i can see it going over consistantly, be it with my X360, mother constantly on FB, me on N-E and FB and my sister consistantly downloading Youtube stuff. It's only £3 more for 30gb more allowance, so i don't see why we can't go up 1 pack. Would keep us all happy, because i'll pay the £3 extra.

Log into your Orange account (assuming you have one) and check your previous months' usage. No point kicking up a fuss if you've never gone over 10GB.

As i said, i shall have a chat when i get home tonight. Wolfy is right, BT are scanks when it comes to Internet. The Orange deal we have is cheaper than the deal we are getting with BT, and is unlimited. I know it is up to my parents what to get, but they could consider all the needs and not just their own. Heck, i was told no more XBL as well on the phone.

The only advantages with BT are

- UK Call centres (which employs non-British people)

- You can call them 24/7 when a problem arises (then again broadband problems that need the ISP involved are very rare).

- That's about it.

We've just changed to Virgin and though it's working out a lot cheaper than Sky, the Broadband has went shit. It was meant to be a minor upgrade as well so I imagine we shall have to get on the phone to them. The TV is pretty good though, not as many channels but more on demand stuff and it's quite nice to use.

I had a chat with my Dad, he said if the cap isn't enough he will update it for a higher cap usage. But i have to cover the extra cost (be it £5).

After doing a search myself, i'm laughing. There are cheaper out there, but hey. They know best hehe

And in related news, i have sorted some "temporary" internet out for myself, borrowed a dongle off someone and payed £10 for 3gb access for 30 days. So, i may be on less but i will be around until the proper internet sorts itself out.

Edited by Jimbob

Awesome, some good news eh Jimbob? It's a shame they are going to go with BT, they were the worst deal I found, sky and virgin were definitely the best, but given my old house, virgin were awful and the customer service were a complete joke (we didn't have a phone number to the house, yet everytime it went down they wanted a phone number and our landlords had to speak to them which took a while, even if they rang immediately. Sigh.)

Awesome, some good news eh Jimbob? It's a shame they are going to go with BT, they were the worst deal I found, sky and virgin were definitely the best, but given my old house, virgin were awful and the customer service were a complete joke (we didn't have a phone number to the house, yet everytime it went down they wanted a phone number and our landlords had to speak to them which took a while, even if they rang immediately. Sigh.)

I was looking at Sky, but they don't seem to be able to provide Broadband around my area. Where-as most other companies do, including Virgin.

And i took a look at the deal we have with BT, it says for every extra gb over they will charge £1. I won't be cut off, just be charged more. Perhaps this may be an incentive to increase cappage.

I was looking at Sky, but they don't seem to be able to provide Broadband around my area. Where-as most other companies do, including Virgin.

And i took a look at the deal we have with BT, it says for every extra gb over they will charge £1. I won't be cut off, just be charged more. Perhaps this may be an incentive to increase cappage.

£1 for every gb? That's not massively over-priced. Yeah I found Sky tend to only populate certain areas, looking being in the middle of the city seems to work in my favour at uni.