NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
raven_blade2006

"Hollywood" Graphics Chip Info!

Wouldn't surprise me if the graphics were next-gen, Iwata himself said there will be no comparison between the consoles. Perhaps people will stop hanging themselves over the previous rumours.

Oh of course they will be Next Gen, its a Next Gen console. There is always the difference in power with each generation, but the difference is NOT that different.

The super beef that 350 has and PS3 has is mostly for HD gaming. People don't seem to realise what a massive pool of resources the console requires to Churn out the GFX... ALl 3 will look great, some better, some worse... Revo will be the ONLY one with Nintendo games and THAT controller ;) GOod enough for me... and for my final fantasy and metal gear I will get the PS3 eventually. Simple As.

The fact that the Gamecube was a SMALL, Underpowered console but STILL managed to get numerous praises for its optimisation should hint at what the Revo will be able to do.

Underpowered it may be, its not going to look half as bad as these 'Numbers' might lead you to believe. Wait and SEEEEEE!!! ^^

This doesn't sound too bad, I would have liked the card to have 256mb of RAM though. Still this should suffice to deliver some very nice visuals.

But assuming that this source is true, they are still working with beta dev kits and the card could get even more optimized until release.

Edit: and if you looks at this post by pedrocasilva it proves that high specs aren't everything, but clever architecture, good technology and things like compression can do wonders - at least it prove it to me.

there's been mumblings before that ninty have cracked it thru software... taking the gamecube as an example, it may have looked underpowered on paper (and some stupid press "journalists" are STILL stating it as such without looking into it!) but it was more powerful than the ps2... so i have faith in ninty, it's never stopped actually :D

Well, since the Broadway info and the Metroid Prime screens news were fake I think this site is just posting BS. Also, there's not much use in putting the Radeon X1600XT chip in if they only use an 1 GHz CPU and if they only have so limited space. I don't think it's really suited either, the X1600 is not really a gaming chip and has fairly few texture units and low bandwidth to be a perfect choice for a game console. I'm thinking we're getting a GPU heavily based on the GameCube Flipper rather than a pure Radeon.

The Gamecube NEVER looked underpowered on paper, I don't know what anyone is talking about, the specs on paper are all over double the PS2's, the only people who thought the system was underpowered were those who knew nothing about it. When the developers have said they think they can twice the power of Gamecube out of Revolution, they're taking into consideration just how much the Gamecube can do.

Please, regardless of how unlikely it seems, IGN aren't lying and Matt is not exaggerating anything when he says the Revolution is aiming for an entirely different market. Metroid Prime 3's video is very likely extremely close to what we'll be seeing on Revolution.

The GPU is going to have the same situation as the CPU, it'll be a highly upgraded and optimized version of the Gamecube one. This is probably how Nintendo will work in the Gamecube backwards compatibility too, as the system wont have enough power to emulate the GC (emulation takes a good 5 times the original system's power to turn out well).

I friggin hate specs, they're so inaccurate. The Gamecube's specs didn't do it justice, but it's obvious that it has graphics to rival the Xbox. I suggest that everyone just waits for screenshots instead. They're the only true indication of graphics.

I friggin hate specs, they're so inaccurate. The Gamecube's specs didn't do it justice, but it's obvious that it has graphics to rival the Xbox. I suggest that everyone just waits for screenshots instead. They're the only true indication of graphics.

Have you even seen the Gamecube's specs? Like I said, on paper it looks MUCH BETTER than the PS2 and isn't that much behind the Xbox specs wise. In what way does that not do it justice?

As if there was any doubt. nintendo know what they are doing and that is enough for me. Blind faith will win the day.

by the way i think the new zelada tp screens look just as good as those of any xbox 360 game and resi games use pre rendering to produce those high graphic values so there

Have you even seen the Gamecube's specs? Like I said, on paper it looks MUCH BETTER than the PS2 and isn't that much behind the Xbox specs wise. In what way does that not do it justice?

Actually GC specs seem quite behind the Xbox ones and we see that GC does what XBOX does. It's not that IGN is lying, it's more that they're probably talking about early dev-kits. I don't expect a powerful console, but that doesn't mean that the specs IGN put out are 100% true. And that Metroid demo was made on GC hardware.

According to IGN it is not gonna happen.

Nintendo may opt to change a couple of bits here and there, but developers have solid information about this console's power and you're not going to see a drastic transformation -- that is, unless it's delayed from 2006 to 2007 or 2008. IBM and ATI have been working on the CPU and GPU respectively and Nintendo has already briefed dozens of studios on what to expect.

It's always possible that Nintendo may at the eleventh hour decide to alter something -- maybe add some more RAM, for example. Microsoft did it, right? 360 was originally set to include 256MBs of RAM and it wasn't until late in the game that Microsoft decided to go with 512MBs. A developer buddy of mine tells me that their group went out that very night and got plastered in celebration of the news.

I think the revolution will do just fine with these specs, have to remember the more power it has available when outputing in standard definition.

So it seems that every1 is finally carming down thank god! I cant believe that so many people thought that nintendo could release a console which didnt compete with the other 2 GFX wise. It may not be up to the standards of the PS3, but i have alot of confidence that it will easily match the 360 graphics even though it doesnt look like it on paper. after all they wanna keep there production costs down and the profit high, and if any1 can do that it is nintendo

Btw why does everyone keep talking about Metroid Prime 3? I thought that it was clearly stated that that clip was running on GCN hardware?

Btw why does everyone keep talking about Metroid Prime 3? I thought that it was clearly stated that that clip was running on GCN hardware?

Why do you say that as if it is a negative?? The clip looked good and if you dont think so then look closer. And if they managed to do that with gamecube then its not a stretch to think it will look better on Rev

I don;t expect a console woth high specs and medium visuals. Personally, i'm entirely convinced that Nintendo has created a method ot programming amazing visuals at a fraction of the hardware cost. But thats by the by, anyway.

We've seen the revolution and it looks like a tv remote and will change video gaming forever.

The metroid Prime 3 clip was done with modified GC dev kits and that is what dev were/are using when they talked to IGN.

That's the thing, the Metroid Prime 3 video may have been done with "modified Gamecube kits" but the thing is, that's pretty much all Revolution seems to be as well, a modified and upgraded Gamecube. Chances are retro made that video with an idea of what the final specs would be in mind. If you look closely there are improvements over Prime 2 as well, not huge but they're there.

The biggest thing that makes me think this is a near accurate representation though is simply this: Why would they have shown it as a Revolution game if it was way off? I don't think with the way Nintendo is that they would've. To me either they showed it because it was accurate, or this is going to be slightly below the Revolution's level, so people who saw the video will be a bit more impressed when the "real" games are shown at next E3. I don't expect anything much more improved over this though, slightly increased polycount, slightly better lightning, slightly better textures, but no massive leaps in anything.

Actually chances are, the video was made in a couple of days just to show "next gen" but not to actually be any indication of the graphics. If the REV is 2-3X the GC, then the graphics should be around that of a little better than current PC games (according to devs).

And the MP video could be done on the GC...Look at the original Zelda tech demo and tell me it didn't look as good as this MP video

im really not arsed about graphics, i mean if they look nice then thats fine but if the games play really well then im gonna get it.

anyone think this is a stupid question:

How hard is it to input Artificial stupidity?

i dont think there is such a thing, alou have to do is make the AI less which would make it 'stupider', so is there such a thing called artificial stupidity?

That's the thing, the Metroid Prime 3 video may have been done with "modified Gamecube kits" but the thing is, that's pretty much all Revolution seems to be as well, a modified and upgraded Gamecube. Chances are retro made that video with an idea of what the final specs would be in mind. If you look closely there are improvements over Prime 2 as well, not huge but they're there.

The biggest thing that makes me think this is a near accurate representation though is simply this: Why would they have shown it as a Revolution game if it was way off? I don't think with the way Nintendo is that they would've. To me either they showed it because it was accurate, or this is going to be slightly below the Revolution's level, so people who saw the video will be a bit more impressed when the "real" games are shown at next E3. I don't expect anything much more improved over this though, slightly increased polycount, slightly better lightning, slightly better textures, but no massive leaps in anything.

Meh, I don't think the Metroid Prime demo was much of an indication. Retro kept on complaining about the ever changing specs much through the entire summer (another indication that these specs are in fact the modified devkits) so the final hardware should have been far from finished in May. If the specs are like this I can't imagine they complained because these specs are exactly the same as an overclocked GameCube with debug memory.

Matt Cassamina said this in September:

Last I heard, Retro was still waiting for appropriate Revolution development hardware. The team is allegedly plugging away on it based on preliminary specs.

He couldn't have been talking about the specs we have now.

The metroid prime 3 video was made in 1 week. Isn't the Xbox 360 just a souped up Xbox?

No...

And why is everyone sayign the PS3 has better GFX than the 360?!

they have like identical specs, its just the people who are making games are taking time and using it properly, the 360 developers had to rush so basically in 1 or 2 years time, we'll see the full power of the 360.

No...

And why is everyone sayign the PS3 has better GFX than the 360?!

they have like identical specs, its just the people who are making games are taking time and using it properly, the 360 developers had to rush so basically in 1 or 2 years time, we'll see the full power of the 360.

The PS3's Cell chip makes it a beast - it could run Unreal Engine 3 on the Cell alone when the graphics chip wasn't finished (yes it ran on only the CPU, no GPU involved) - so it has tremendous graphical power. The Killzone footage isn't far from what we're going to see.

Sign in to follow this