N-Europe

Comic Costumes

Dan_Dare

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Batgirl has only ever stunned. She was a semi-useful ally, then got crippled and became the most important ally Batman's ever had.

The second Batgirl was a one of the world's best fighters, with quite unique twist. She was nicely distanced from just being a female counterpart to Batman, and having something of an individual bag.

Batwoman I can't remember why she chose a bat, other than it's an established motif that scares criminals in Gotham. In gotham, why wouldn't you choose a bat? I read the 52 novelisation with her life story but I can't remember it.

The new Batgirl was formerly Spoiler, a shite crime fighter whose claim to fame was causing a gang war by accident and being tortured to death. She's back now, and I've heard the series is good. She actually makes the most sense as Batgirl..an ally no one wanted, but who kinda proved herself, and was really determined, and now finally has a chance to actually be part of the Bat Family (though she did have a failed stint as Robin once..).

---

On the subject of Batman, some Batman-related costumes I like:

azrael5.gif

Azrael. The fire and spikes are very 90's, the newer Azrael is a cool design too, but I love the kinda religious iconography and elements to most of his costumes. A very unique Batman ally. I've not read much of his own series, but enjoyed him in Batman otherwise.

batgirl6.jpg

Batgirl (Cassandra Cain). The stitched over face is brilliant, and ties into the fact she couldn't speak/was mute when she first appeared, and is a living weapon. It feels like a ghost of Batgirl or something, with the hollowed out bat-symbol.

Why? Batgirl has only ever stunned. She was a semi-useful ally, then got crippled and became the most important ally Batman's ever had.

The second Batgirl was a one of the world's best fighters, with quite unique twist. She was nicely distanced from just being a female counterpart to Batman, and having something of an individual bag.

Batwoman I can't remember why she chose a bat, other than it's an established motif that scares criminals in Gotham. In gotham, why wouldn't you choose a bat? I read the 52 novelisation with her life story but I can't remember it.

The new Batgirl was formerly Spoiler, a shite crime fighter whose claim to fame was causing a gang war by accident and being tortured to death. She's back now, and I've heard the series is good. She actually makes the most sense as Batgirl..an ally no one wanted, but who kinda proved herself, and was really determined, and now finally has a chance to actually be part of the Bat Family (though she did have a failed stint as Robin once..).

Oracle only kicks ass as the Oracle. Not literally, of course...being a cripple and all.

I think it's just the whole 'Bat' thing. Really? You can't come up with something new? If I was Batman I'd be like, "You're totally cramping my style."

Yeah there's too much text there. If you could just break it down how she came back from being tortured to death. DC version of Dr. Strange do some shit?

Even I read it and I have little interest in it (or comics in general).

Faked death to prevent general ne'er do wells from using her to get to Batman.

Yeah the various bat-people are kinda lame. They don't feel necessary; at least Nightwing got a new alias when he got too tall for the green speedos.

He has a really cool look actually

Batman-Nightwing.jpg

It carries across the right kind of imagery across from Batman and Robin costumes, but it looks different enough to be its own thing. Very cool. Shame about the mullet though...

But if we're talking Robin graduates, Red Robin looks cooler

red_robin_6_cover.jpg

It's very sleek but also practical- the belts and tunic make it look more like body armour while the cape ties him to the Batman legacy. I really like this one.

---- It occurred to me while I was reading X-Men back issues that they never *really* sorted Jean Grey out with a really good costume.

to start with you have this:

1-3.jpg?w=350&h=500

boooooooring! and You're called Marvel Girl. Fuck off, no wonder you nearly got cancelled, you dumb slut.

Then this

70th_MarvelGirl_VAR.jpg

Things improve here but, well, the 70s wasn't the kindest decade. Just out of shot there's a fondue pot and a bowl of car keys.

Then...

3647-1.jpg

Lets be honest, Jean, we're still not impressed. You're also too hard to find behind Simon Cowell's shit life on Google, you daft bint. Get a real code name.

But wait! What's this? Surely not a good costume!?

phoenix.jpeg

comic_wall_dark_phoenix.jpg

Oh my gracious! Not only is this Jean Grey in a super fucking cool costume- This is, in my mind, the single best female super hero costume design ever. It's even better than Silk Spectre's camel toe in the Watchmen movie. Respect, Marvel!

Hell, it even comes with a good code name! I sure hope Marvel can keep this up!

Jean-Grey-Card.jpg

holy-facepalm.jpg

She is alot different in the Detective Comics than 52 and her reason was that she was getting mugged but she used her army skills to beat up the mugger. As she was leaving the scene, she falls over as Batman appears from the shadows and he helps her up.

21lvr05.jpg

2vmuern.jpg

2qlr6mr.jpg

2w6v5w8.jpg

Cyclone (Maxine Hunkel)

395px-Maxinehunkel2.jpg

Edited by Dante

The Phoenix costumes are brilliant. But Greg Land can fuck off.

Also, you know I love the 90's costumes! Eff you! :p

Yeah, they're shite, but I appreciated the fact it was her first "aggressive" costume. Even if the cartoon imortalised it with the shitest version of Jean Grey ever. You forgot her best non-omnipotent costumes:

jean-bigcostume13.jpg

I always really liked this one. From when she lead the X-Men around 2000, when Cyclops was presumed dead.

And of course...

New_X-Men_Cover_120.jpg

I know, but it feels like the best costume she's ever had, just cause she was written so well during the time, and having her in costumes feels silly after seeing her be so great in just the normal clothes. She's never felt as super-heroy as the other main X-Men, and i felt the leathers fit her character.