NEurope

Every year or so, the Ministry of Defence declassifies its UFO files, such as these reports here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3082230/Airports-giant-UFO.html

Apparently, even Winston Churchill ordered a cover-up.

So, what do you think about UFOs? Are they human, alien or something even stranger? Personally, I'd say all the evidence over the years suggests they do exist and they are something non-human. For me, there are too many reports and statements from policemen and military personnel for them to all be lies or misidentifications.

Can I just say that UFO stands for unidentified flying object. Therefore a UFO could be anything.

Id love to believe that aliens are visiting the Earth, unfortunately I dont. I think people just see experimental craft etc from the government or simply make things up.

Well, many of them seem unnatural or inexplicable, but then again, we also have something like this ...

... which is generally accepted to have been a failed Russian rocket launch attempt. So yeah, it's hard to say.

I've seen some strange things in my time in the night sky. I've also seen strange things in NASA videos that they've released, such as what would have been considered "space debris" suddenly changing direction and speeding off.

Aliens exist...this is a matter if scientific likelihood. However, whether or not they've visited us? People state that it would be impossible, but that's just narrow mindedness on their part. We used to say that breaking the speed of sound was impossible, or that flying was impossible, but those have since been proven wrong so who says there isn't a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Yes, many human-made things could be mistaken for alien spacecraft. Here in Bournemouth, just a few years ago, people went on thinking they saw some, just for it to be chinese lanterns. However, the footage from NASA of things from orbit and eyewitness accounts by so many people, many of which match eachother's descriptions (before the Internet), it's hard to ignore.

Id love to believe that aliens are visiting the Earth, unfortunately I dont.
I dunno, did you not see this documentary... they're just real good at hiding!

Would be a neat thought though, if they were here amongst us.

Would certainly explain Rez! ;)

I've seen some strange things in my time in the night sky. I've also seen strange things in NASA videos that they've released, such as what would have been considered "space debris" suddenly changing direction and speeding off.

Aliens exist...this is a matter if scientific likelihood. However, whether or not they've visited us? People state that it would be impossible, but that's just narrow mindedness on their part. We used to say that breaking the speed of sound was impossible, or that flying was impossible, but those have since been proven wrong so who says there isn't a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Yes, many human-made things could be mistaken for alien spacecraft. Here in Bournemouth, just a few years ago, people went on thinking they saw some, just for it to be chinese lanterns. However, the footage from NASA of things from orbit and eyewitness accounts by so many people, many of which match eachother's descriptions (before the Internet), it's hard to ignore.

Aye, I hear you. I'm not one to believe in theories without proof or substance, but I also know that we certainly don't know everything about the universe and its workings yet. I like to refer to myself as a sceptic with an open mind.

Would certainly explain Rez! ;)

I'm convinced ReZ is the reason they only ever study us from a distance and never establish actual contact.

Not UFO related persay, but I did have a weird experience once, a few years ago.

It was late at night and I was trying to get to sleep, but I couldn't for some reason. This is not uncommon. However, I was laying there, facing the wall and suddenly I was hearing a loud piercing screech and my whole back went numb, and then I just couldn't move whatsoever.

Next thing I know, it's one hour later and I just could not sleep that night.

It freaked the fuck out of me and now I can't even sleep facing the wall anymore.

Now, you all think I'm crazy.

Edited by Serebii

It was late at night and I was trying to get to sleep, but I couldn't for some reason. This is not uncommon. However, I was laying there, facing the wall and suddenly I was hearing a loud piercing screech and my whole back went numb, and then I just couldn't move whatsoever.

How about...

HYPNAGOGIA

Transition to and from sleep may be attended by a wide variety of sensory experiences. These can occur in any modality, individually or combined, and range from the vague and barely perceptible to vivid hallucinations.

Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome).

Unability to move sounds like sleep paralysis as well...

How about...

HYPNAGOGIA

Unability to move sounds like sleep paralysis as well...

It's possible, by aren't most cases of hypnagogia a common and repeated occurance and not a one off?

I'd love it to be that though lol

It's possible, by aren't most cases of hypnagogia a common and repeated occurance and not a one off?

I'd love it to be that though lol

This is one of the cases where, even though it's tempting to fit it into classic alien encounter lore, it's a lot more rational to assume it is something à la what Ville posted about. When we're sleeping, falling asleep or waking up - this is probably when our brains and senses are most impressionable.

That is terrifying

This is one of the cases where, even though it's tempting to fit it into classic alien encounter lore, it's a lot more rational to assume it is something à la what Ville posted about. When we're sleeping, falling asleep or waking up - this is probably when our brains and senses are most impressionable.

Rational solutions are always dull :P I would love it to be an extra terrestrial encounter though, but I don't want to try and remember.

That is terrifying

Rational solutions are always dull :P I would love it to be an extra terrestrial encounter though, but I don't want to try and remember.

Well, it sounded like you wanted it to be something rational, explainable and non-frightening. :heh: I'm of the same mind as you: It would be sooo exciting if it was something "supernatural", but it would also be terrifying.

Well, it sounded like you wanted it to be something rational, explainable and non-frightening. :heh: I'm of the same mind as you: It would be sooo exciting if it was something "supernatural", but it would also be terrifying.

I just don't wish to remember the possibility of anal probing

I just don't wish to remember the possibility of anal probing

Haha! :laughing: That is one part of alien lore I've never understood. Why on Earth (pun intended) would they anal probe us? (Well, I get the psychological reason for the existence of anal probes in alien lore, but it makes no sense. :heh:)

Thing is, most people base their decisions on whether alien life is visiting us on current physical laws, which state that it's not possible to go faster than the speed of light (because as you gain momentum, you also gain mass exponentially to the point where no matter how much power you put into accelerating, the mass offsets any attempts to get to and beyond the speed of light. It can't even be reached in colliders) which I find a bit narrowminded (that and people thinking that there isn't other life away from our planet).

Anyway, I have seen some strange things in the sky before, darting around at night. Problem is, RAF Leuchars is like 25 miles or something away so it pretty much explains most of it, as they are frequently out doing manoeuvres. I'm sure most of the UFOs can be explained as military equipment and stuff being tested. I'd like to believe that aliens had been visiting but given the size of the universe, it seems about as plausible as finding a needle in a haystack.

Thing is, most people base their decisions on whether alien life is visiting us on current physical laws, which state that it's not possible to go faster than the speed of light (because as you gain momentum, you also gain mass exponentially to the point where no matter how much power you put into accelerating, the mass offsets any attempts to get to and beyond the speed of light. It can't even be reached in colliders) which I find a bit narrowminded (that and people thinking that there isn't other life away from our planet).

Anyway, I have seen some strange things in the sky before, darting around at night. Problem is, RAF Leuchars is like 25 miles or something away so it pretty much explains most of it, as they are frequently out doing manoeuvres. I'm sure most of the UFOs can be explained as military equipment and stuff being tested. I'd like to believe that aliens had been visiting but given the size of the universe, it seems about as plausible as finding a needle in a haystack.

I hate how people take our science to be complete fact. Almost all theories are discredited within 50 years and they're all based on observation. Outside Earth & Luna, we aren't even able to test things, just look at them and guess. That is all science is. Who's to say that the "laws" of physics here are a universal constant

I hate how people take our science to be complete fact. Almost all theories are discredited within 50 years and they're all based on observation. Outside Earth & Luna, we aren't even able to test things, just look at them and guess. That is all science is. Who's to say that the "laws" of physics here are a universal constant

Well science is about accepting what we know. Yes it's possible that everything we know may be false, but until we have evidence to suggest it is, we'll have to accept what we currently "know".

Well science is about accepting what we know. Yes it's possible that everything we know may be false, but until we have evidence to suggest it is, we'll have to accept what we currently "know".

Not quite.

Science by definition is attempting to understand but not necessarily having absolution. However, most think of it as 100% true and that is what I have issues with.

Science by definition is attempting to understand but not necessarily having absolution. However, most think of it as 100% true and that is what I have issues with.

Well scientists don't, and they're the ones that matter on this subject.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all.

Well scientists don't, and they're the ones that matter on this subject.

That's the thing, a lot of scientists do actually believe it all as fact. It really irks me :/

Science is not fact, it's just the most logical reasoning based on what we know from using today's instruments. Just like religion was thousands of years ago.

Well based on my personal experience, not at all. Like the lucidity and clarity of my dreams, hypnagogia also seems to go hand in hand with my level of awareness...i.e. heightened awareness resulting in both. Neither are very common experiences for me normally, but seem to become rather frequent if I have been meditating a lot or am meditating lying down in bed. Might be sounds, might be sensations...also, I remember a few times when my mind fell asleep while I was still fully conscious. Note that this was not at night, but in the morning or day...I think I had just meditated lying down on my back, and then turned to my right side. After a few minutes only, everything started to spin and then...I was inside a dream. Now that was interesting...

You said that you could not sleep and were lying in bed...However, the body will start getting ready to sleep even if your mind might seem to be awake...So sounds perfectly plausible to me that you experienced just that. Especially if you were still and letting your mind just be...

That's the thing, a lot of scientists do actually believe it all as fact. It really irks me :/

Yep. In my mind, a scientific mindset should also have room for uncertainty...and not label everything that cannot be 100% verified with current methods as impossible.

C-C-C-COMBO BREEEAKER.

The most interesting UFO/Sighting story to me is the Barney and Betty Hill case from the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_and_Barney_Hill_abduction

Its fascinating. Just the little details, how they both claim to have lost time but didn't realise this at the time. The star map that Betty draws. The description of the craft.

I really love this sort of stuff. Even if it's a sighting that gets proven to be something else, like a weather balloon or something. It's interesting just to read up on this stuff. :)

I wonder how long we'll all be talking about Roswell for, and I wonder if the "truth" will ever come out. Could be the greatest cover-up ever, or the biggest myth/hoax.