N-Europe

The Amazing Spider-Man

Retro_Link

It's a double edged sword, you wouldn't want to see too much action or little to no character involvement either, would you? To be fair I think Spiderman is one of the more complex heroes characterwise, and I think the film should reflect that too, it's all about finding a balance though. The problem with films though is they can't/don't show a characters thoughts, part of the big attraction of Spiderman, in my opinion anyway, is that even when he's in the middle of some epic battle he's still stressing himself out about everyday problems.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't no, and character drama is of course an important part of any superhero, but comics and films are different media. Comics can have longer and more elaborate storylines with a lot of character development, but a superhero film shouldn't sacrifice the visual pleasure of seeing superpowers in action for too much character drama.

We don't know anything about the film's plot yet, though, so I'm merely describing my own personal worst case scenario based on the comment he made.

I disagree. Of course there should be SOME superpowers in action, otherwise it would be kind of a boring movie but it doesn't have to be the focus of the film. I loved The Incredibles (and still do) but that is mainly because of the plot: that superheroes are no longer allowed to use their powers so we see them struggling in every day life in stead. I think that kind of dilemma is interesting and I wish more directors would take that path.

It also made Spiderman 2 quite a bit more interesting that Peter Parker lost his powers.

It's a double edged sword, you wouldn't want to see too much action or little to no character involvement either, would you? To be fair I think Spiderman is one of the more complex heroes characterwise, and I think the film should reflect that too, it's all about finding a balance though. The problem with films though is they can't/don't show a characters thoughts, part of the big attraction of Spiderman, in my opinion anyway, is that even when he's in the middle of some epic battle he's still stressing himself out about everyday problems.

I agree completely. :)

I disagree. Of course there should be SOME superpowers in action, otherwise it would be kind of a boring movie but it doesn't have to be the focus of the film. I loved The Incredibles (and still do) but that is mainly because of the plot: that superheroes are no longer allowed to use their powers so we see them struggling in every day life in stead. I think that kind of dilemma is interesting and I wish more directors would take that path.

It also made Spiderman 2 quite a bit more interesting that Peter Parker lost his powers.

But The Incredibles is a perfect example of an excellent balance, so why bring it up as a counter-argument? I never said the character drama couldn't be the focus of the film, I was merely expressing fear that they would go overboard with it. The first Spider-Man trilogy (whatever your opinion on them in general) managed to strike a great balance between action and character development in my opinion.

Superman Returns is fine. I enjoy it frequently. I realy like the way it looks/is directed/whatever. It has a nice quality to it. I like the dialogue and a good chunk of the acting. It's not perfect, or even "great", but the absolute hatred of it is alien to me.

Superman Returns has the best moment in any Superman movie (the plane rescue) but thats about it. Bryan Singer was just too in love with the original movies and I think that really hurt his film. Plus he turned Superman into Super peeping tom.

I do feel sorry for Brandon Routh though, I thought he did a very good Clark Kent (Better than Reeve) and while his Superman was too emotionless I think that was more down to the writing and directing than him.

Superman Returns has the best moment in any Superman movie (the plane rescue) but thats about it. Bryan Singer was just too in love with the original movies and I think that really hurt his film. Plus he turned Superman into Super peeping tom.

I do feel sorry for Brandon Routh though, I thought he did a very good Clark Kent (Better than Reeve) and while his Superman was too emotionless I think that was more down to the writing and directing than him.

Yes.

So much is wrong with the film. I hate how Paj/Chair can't see its ridiculous flaws. Chemistry for the most part is missing, acting is terrible for the most part, dialogue is offensive, more plot holes than anything, ever. Pointless characters. Why is Lex doing everything he is...why all the cronies? Etc.

Leave. Now. Everyone.

I'm not even having this conversation again, It'll make me mad. If someone wants to continue it, make a thread.

I love the feel the film has. It's not one of those films like X3, where it's like "...I wish they'd just...done it well..." and it feels all kinda flimsy and cheap, Superman Returns is really satisfyingly crisp and you can tell there's intention behind it all. Even if bits are a bit questionable/I don't like parts.

I love the needless unexplored subplot of Lois' smoking habit.

• 1 month later...