Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

Managed to catch the lunar eclipse yesterday morning. :) I believe the total eclipse began at 8:35 CET.

Jealous. I couldn't because there was TOO MUCH CLOUD

God damn winter. You fuck me over on the first day. I shall have my vengence on you, you damned evil season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11988466

Don't think this has been posted yet.

Voyager (the space probe, not the star trek series) is soon going to be so far away that it will be in inter-stellar space. The gap between stars. No more solar winds. Just hardcore emptiness in space.

This is the craft that has a naked man and woman etched onto the side. Imagine what the aliens'll do when they come down and see a bunch of bipeds with multicoloured fur roaming about. They'll think we killed those naked humans!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching Stargazing live on BBC 2 at the moment? Seems pretty interesting so far, making me want to try and get myself a telescope again.

EDIT: Although now my nerdiness has taken over because they criticised Star Trek for them being able to breath on alien planets, fair enough but dont use Spock as an example when hes standing on his home planet! *Pushes nerd glasses up*

Edited by Happenstance

Anyone watching Stargazing live on BBC 2 at the moment? Seems pretty interesting so far, making me want to try and get myself a telescope again.

EDIT: Although now my nerdiness has taken over because they criticised Star Trek for them being able to breath on alien planets, fair enough but dont use Spock as an example when hes standing on his home planet! *Pushes nerd glasses up*

They criticise that? Good god, have they never actually heard of terraforming? God

Anyway, the Quadrantids meteor shower is tonight. Estimated 120 meteors an hour

Actually the question posed was "breating in space without a helmet?" and the fact provided was that of over 500 planets found and examined, none so far have the atmosphere needed for us to breathe unaided. It wasn't a serious criticism, just a montage of moments from the movie where someone has no helmet on.

The star wars 'red baron' style flying was interesting to hear debunked.

Actually the question posed was "breating in space without a helmet?" and the fact provided was that of over 500 planets found and examined, none so far have the atmosphere needed for us to breathe unaided. It wasn't a serious criticism, just a montage of moments from the movie where someone has no helmet on.

The star wars 'red baron' style flying was interesting to hear debunked.

Oh sure, the atmospheres of 500 planets are indicative of the whole galaxy. Fools lol

Terraforming planets is a feasible way of fixing that, especially if the planet is in the sweetspot. If not, then you just need to create a biodome and have M-Class atmosphere in that dome.

Edited by Serebii

Serebii; shh.

Dannyboy; the spaceship firefights, where the millenium falcon is pursued by tie fighters and is darting about -- with no air resistence the banking that the falcon does is not actually possible. There are certainly theories for that style of movement in space (look at how star trek's impulse engines, which work with spherical movement unlike typical engines which propel in one direction.

I'm no good at describing this properly I'm afraid!

I was suprised about the warp drive complaint, im sure ive read various articles which have praised warp drive as being technically possible if we had the right technology as it doesnt take you to light speed but creates the bubble around the ship and does something or other.

Warp Drive is the most feasible method of interstellar travel. HyperSpace, the other common sci-fi staple for it is also feasible but brings a whole bunch of other issues if you follow our "laws" of physics as doctrine

I dont remember them saying that, just that its impossible to reach light speed and then Brian Cox complaining that you wouldnt actually have to get to light speed, just very close.

They said that about the sound barrier once...

The show didn't say that it wasn't possible, just that you'd occupy every point of space between a and b when you use it, didn't they?

They actually touched upon that theory within Star Trek. Their theory was Transwarp (Warp 10 in Star Trek...in one of the worst episodes I might add) and the statement that at that speed you will occupy every point in the universe simultaneously.

I think Hyperspace is based around subspace theories isnt it?

Yeah, that's essentially it, the shifting of travel to subspace and other dimensions in order to create quicker travel.

They actually touched upon that theory within Star Trek. Their theory was Transwarp (Warp 10 in Star Trek...in one of the worst episodes I might add) and the statement that at that speed you will occupy every point in the universe simultaneously.

Gotta love them evolving into giant salamandas lol

See, this is what I like about Sci-Fi such as Star Trek and Stargate. They actually regularly consulted with top scientists to make sure their theories were scientifically viable. Lots of shows these days don't do that and just make shit up. However, Voyager seemed to miss those scientists :P