NEurope
Frank

If you could see yourself...

So, I've been thinking about this quite a lot recently. Metaphorically speaking, if you could see yourself at whatever age in the future, would you?

The more interesting question, I think, is what do you think your younger self would think of you now?

Of course, I'm not talking about just physical appearances. If you could see what kind of person you would be and the same if your younger self could see what person you are now.

I'm not sure I would want to see myself in the future. If I develop some sort of chronic disease at some point, and I would have no way of stopping it, I'd rather not know in advance and enjoy the time that I don't have it, and I'd like there to be some sort of adventure in my life, which would be impossible if I knew how I was going to turn out. I wouldn't mind seeing myself in maybe a year or two though.

As for my younger self, I'm not sure we would get along. In fact, its possible that he would hate me. I've changed enough in the last few years in terms of values, ect. that we would be completely different people.

When I was younger I was a cunt, just looking at old posts on this forum confirms that, so I imagine my younger self would dislike me too. As for my older self, well, I can only get better with age.

That depends on whether I would be able to change the future I saw. If it was not set in stone, but was simply the "current" future, I might want to, seeing as I could then find out whether I should do something differently in life. If it was destined to be and unchangeable, I wouldn't want to see it. Then I would think too much about things to come instead of living in the now.

Yes, definitely. If I see that anything I'm doing now is definitely going to fuck up my life then I'd love to assuredly know.

I think my younger self would be impressed with my beard, but a bit sad that I'm nwo a wee bit BLIIIIND

Wouldn't look at my future self. Not interested.

My past self would think I was awesome. However, I'd probably punch my past self in the face - a lot. Probably kill him if it didn't have a knock on effect. "It's personal." - That would be my witty quip.

If I saw something in the future like a career in medicine, I would be confident that I would get it, and so probably would not work as hard towards it and ultimately not get it. For reasons like that, no I would not like to see me future self. But I would like to go through past memories like a film, of when I was younger.

If I were to give my past self one piece of advice, it'd be "Go out and be more social". I know how hard that was for me at the time with my autism and all, but I'd encourage myself to do it all the same. I believe it would have helped me evolve more at an earlier age.

Yes, definitely. If I see that anything I'm doing now is definitely going to fuck up my life then I'd love to assuredly know.

Since the consequences of normal/weed smoking are rarely documented.

However I am guilty of such a quality, although a different source.

Were I to see myself in the future, I wouldn't mind seeing myself as a Hugh Heffer/Jimmy Saville bloke. Bling that looks fashionable and slams the young ladies.

If I saw something in the future like a career in medicine, I would be confident that I would get it, and so probably would not work as hard towards it and ultimately not get it. For reasons like that, no I would not like to see me future self. But I would like to go through past memories like a film, of when I was younger.

0.jpg

Your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one.

Your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one.

If it is not written, then I can't see it :heh:

Part of me would want to see myself in 10-15 years, see if i actually find someone settle down, or be successful or something. But the other part of me doesn't want to know in case its a bad outcome!

I'd love to know how long I will live, that would be interesting, in a drive yourself crazy interesting :heh:

If it is not written, then I can't see it :heh:

HansGruber6.jpg

"That's amazing you figured this all out already"

I don't have any need to see myself in the future, so no thanks!

My past self would be quite happy to see where I've gotten, but personally I'd kick her ass for being a silly cow. I'd give her a reason to cheer up and move on, but alas it's too late now she's already been around!

I find this really interesting. It makes me think of the film Moon:

Sam Rockwell meets his clone. However, the version of the clone is from three years previous, so he gets to meet himself from the past. The differences between the two are really noticeable.

I'd like to meet myself from the past, but I think I know how it would be. Generally, most people look back and think "man, I was stupid" and that's probably the same here. Maybe it would be good for us all to meet ourselves from the past to see how we've matured and become who we are now.

I wouldnt want to meet my future self. That's a mystery, so should be kept as one.

I've been thinking about this, and it does depend on whether what you see is just one possibility based on the here and now, and subject to change. If it was fixed, definite, then it'd be hard to see it, because it'd sap all motivation. In either case, what happens if you see something you don't like? I'd maybe do it, but it's a very big thing, and I know I'd never let the future go and then waste my life!

Having said that, I'd like my past self to see me now. I don't think I've changed majorly much, just a slow and general maturation. I'd want to meet the old me to see if he'd like the new me, say...when I was 17/18. I probably would, and I think I'd be very nice to my face, but I reckon old me would take some gripes with new me.

I don't know if I'd like the past me to see the present me. Sure, I've come a long way since then, but there are things I'm still struggling with, and that might discourage the past me. But again, if the past me's future (i.e. the present) was then changeable, the past me could then start to improve at an earlier time, meaning I'd have gotten further by now.