NEurope
Daft

Film Club :: Current Film = Primer

Since Rate the Last Film is dead I thought I'd start a new thread. Basically, I will select a film every Tuesday (suggestions are welcome, PM me, and will probably go down to a vote but I'll moderate the thing or all Hell will break loose...maybe...anyways....) and we can have a banter about it. Shouldn't be too hard to rent, buy or...."acquire" the films in this day and age.

It would be nice to keep the films selected to ones that not everyone has seen, too.

Sound good? Stupid?

I might as well start...

primer.jpg

Primer is a 2004 American science fiction/drama film about the accidental discovery of a means of time travel. The film was written, directed, and produced by Shane Carruth, a mathematician and a former engineer, and was completed on a budget of $7,000.

Primer is of note for its extremely low budget, experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth chose not to simplify for the sake of his audience. One reviewer said that "anybody who claims [to] fully understand what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar." The film collected the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance in 2004 before securing a limited release in US cinemas, and has since gained a cult following.

I thought this sounded like a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Who's interested in doing this?

Edit:

This Weeks Film: Primer (2004)

Next weeks (August 3rd) Film: The Fountain (2006) - Because I'm predictable and I love it.

Edited by Daft

Sounds really interesting! I definitely want to see this film, though I don't know if I'll have anything interesting to participate with. :heh:

or...."acquire"

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

If someone could happily PM me an easy aquisition link method I'd happily take part.

A good idea indeed! I think we had one of these before thanks to jay, but I promptly fell off of it due to commitments at the time, but I like the idea and consider myself in!

I didn't say this ;) ...but stagevu.com ;) ...is useful for things. ;) Like watching stuff that is on there. ;)

Betty_Boop_wink2.gif

Edited by Daft

I didn't say this...but stagevu.com...is useful for things. Like watching stuff that is on there.

You needed a few nudges and winks in there.

Also, I put up next weeks film so people have time to get it. Hopefully that'll make things easier for everyone. I picked The Fountain (I know I yap on about it but I'd like to see what everyone thinks).

Also, I put up next weeks film so people have time to get it. Hopefully that'll make things easier for everyone. I picked The Fountain (I know I yap on about it but I'd like to see what everyone thinks).

I need to rewatch The Fountain again anyway, so this works for me.

I will.

My life revolves around tryng to find more interesting/challenging media to explore/read/watch.

Add Serenity to the list!

Actually, that's a rubbish idea (as you have to watch Firefly first). My real suggestion is Pan's Labyrinth.

My real suggestion is Pan's Labyrinth.

Seconded! Week three maybe? Or are you gonna choose Daft? It is your thread.

Hasn't everyone seen Pan's Labyrinth? A fairly famous one. I'd never even heard of Primer. And Fountain passed me by too (though I've heard of it because so many stunners are involved).

This is a great idea! I will defo join in if I have time and can get copies of the films.

Seconded! Week three maybe? Or are you gonna choose Daft? It is your thread.

I'll pick them just to avoid confusion - and moderation too in a sense - but suggestions are very much appreciated. I'll put Pan's Labyrinth on the list but as Paj said, it was a pretty massive film. So maybe instead of looking at Pan's Labrynth we could look at one of Del Toro's less well known films like his début 'Cronos'.

In fact I think Cronos (1993) should be week three's film now. :heh:

Edit: Just realised that's a bit dictatorial. :D If anyone has any objections, then just say. None of this is set in stone obviously.

BTW, just watched Primer. I am so so confused. Didn't help I'm Hellatired.

Edited by Daft

I'm fine with whatever. This way at least I get to see loads of different movies I wouldn't usually watch. I think I'll check out Primer tomorrow, since I need to go to sleep soon. Await impressions!

Sounds a good idea, i'll only be able to join in after the weekly XBL session i have (and if i already have the movie/seen it).

Just as long as this doesn't end up like the last one and people start suggesting Transformers as intellectual viewing for discerning film lovers.

Just as long as this doesn't end up like the last one and people start suggesting Transformers as intellectual viewing for discerning film lovers.

What's wrong with Transfo- oh yeah.

I suggest Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. I think it's a fantastic film, and I know at least one person in this thread will agree with me.

Autobots!

Since Rate the Last Film is dead...

NOOO! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT! :weep:

[/mourn]

This sounds like a great idea Daft and I, for one, will try my best to take part! :)

Fuck yes! Awesome idea. I think this thread can be a democracy to some extent, but ultimately requires a panel of jurors with the ability to sway the vote. People who don't like shite. Unless its Starship Troopers. That's gooooood shite.

Actually I've really wanted to see Mulholland Drive for a while now. Started watching it once, but something came up.

Edited by The Bard