N-Europe

Donkey Kong 64

I actually don't remember a lot of the content of this game (only played it through once but did fully complete it) but I do remember enjoying it for the most part. I liked switching characters and all the worlds... the humour was pretty good too I think. I do remember getting a bit bored when I went back to collect everything but that was after the main game anyway so I had nothing to work for except 100% completion. I see this game gets a lot of hate from people but I always liked it. It is actually the only Donkey Kong game I've played though.

You REALLY need to play the Country series of games.

You know the thing I really, really hated? The fact it was more expensive because it included the expansion pack. Of course I already had one..

Yeah, although I do remember it being sold by itself, but whether this was well after launch, or perhaps second hand, escapes me.

All Kongs are present and accounted for now. After finishing the second world I went straight to Frantic Factory so that I could rescue Chunky. Man, I forgot how much I hate that world. There's so many doors and paths to take and if I remember correctly the boss is a nightmare as well.

With Chunky back in the crew I headed back to the first world and finished off completely. It took me longer than expected though as I was missing 10 green bananas somewhere. I looked all over the place and after much searching I found them on the roof of Funky Kongs shop.

I have to say, I love Chunkys animations. The way he walks/chugs along is great and then the way he does a long jump is hilarious.

Once I've watched the Liverpool match I'll be back on this and heading back to the second world to fully finish that off before heading to Gloomy Galleon...I really want to put off Frantic Factory as long as possible. :D

I must of been one of the few people who liked this game for what it was, seeing as it was only my 2nd Donkey Kong game. And i didn't like this costing close to (at the time) £70-£80 brand new because of the expansion pack (and we moan about todays prices, the N64 games were £50 if not more new).

Loved running around Kong Island unlocking all the different Kongs, can't remember the levels at all though.

I never liked this even back in the day! Never did it for me and never ever felt like Donkey Kong. And Returns shows that Donkey Kong is just a great 2D platformed and there's nothing wrong with that :) Happy to be proven wrong of course, a mad open world jungle swinging about vines and completing missions in some sort of Spiderman 2 -esque way would be pretty good fun... but with the power of Hulk from Utimate Destruction.... Actually, I've changed my mind, stuff 2D platformers I want this!

Current progress: 117 Golden Bananas, 56% complete, 13 hours 53 minutes.

After starting Gloomy Galleon yesterday I finished up this morning. The swimming in this game is so awkward and slow but then it was a bit fiddly in Banjo as well.

After that I headed over to Fungi Forest. I still haven't tackled Frantic Factory properly....yeah I leaving it till last. :D

I forgot just how padded with mini games the game is. There's even mini games on top on mini games! I beat the owl in Fungi Forest in a mini game race and then instead of getting a golden banana a mini game barrel appeared!!

The levels have started to get a lot bigger now and the Banjo Tooie syndrome is setting in where the levels are just too big for their own good. Some of the kong switching is nuts as well. I had to get Tiny to open some gates with her feather gun and as soon as I had done that and stepped through the newly opened gates, there was another set which required Chunky!

Still enjoying it though but that made be due to nostalgia more than anything else.

She walks out with and starts going on about melons and tells me to come closer and she will teach me to use my instrument.:laughing:

So, yeah, I'm really into this now. :)

Oh yeah eh? ;)

Glad to hear you kept on with it, because I remember feeling as a teen like this was one of the top games on the system. Sure, Mario and Banjo had done the whole 3D world platformer thing, but this mixed it up with the different characters and their different goals per level in addition to their abilities. Made for a bit of Metroid-esque backtracking too. If we could get another N64 remake on 3DS, I wouldn't mind it being this tbh. I recall 101%ing it back in the day, as well as having to get my mate's Nintendo coin for him(though he'll deny it now), and I felt rather accomplished at a number of points throughout.

I actually don't remember a lot of the content of this game (only played it through once but did fully complete it) but I do remember enjoying it for the most part. I liked switching characters and all the worlds... the humour was pretty good too I think. I do remember getting a bit bored when I went back to collect everything but that was after the main game anyway so I had nothing to work for except 100% completion. I see this game gets a lot of hate from people but I always liked it. It is actually the only Donkey Kong game I've played though.

Same for me too. The old 2D DKs are ok I guess, but for me I just never really got into them properly enough to be all that bothered. Not really sure why. Tried the Wii one on a loan but really I just felt a bit bored like it was all old hat. Must say though, one of my favourite pieces(or two, even) of VGM is Stickerbrush Symphony and its Brawl Remix(I discovered the former via the later).

Edited by Rummy

Oh yeah eh? ;)

Glad to hear you kept on with it, because I remember feeling as a teen like this was one of the top games on the system. Sure, Mario and Banjo had done the whole 3D world platformer thing, but this mixed it up with the different characters and their different goals per level in addition to their abilities. Made for a bit of Metroid-esque backtracking too. If we could get another N64 remake on 3DS, I wouldn't mind it being this tbh. I recall 101%ing it back in the day, as well as having to get my mate's Nintendo coin for him(though he'll deny it now), and I felt rather accomplished at a number of points throughout.

I'll will certainly see it through to the end again. I didn't get on it last night as I was knackered after work. Hopefully I will start Crystal Caves tonight though.

I forgot to mention the similarities between the worlds in this and the ones in Banjo Kazooie. I never really took much notice as a teenager. I mean Fungi Forest is essentially Click Clock Wood but instead of the season changes you have night and day. Creepy Castle is just Mad Monster Mansion, Angry Aztec is Gobi's Valley and certain things in Clankers Cavern remind me of Gloomy Galleon! :D

@Sméagol I got it for £60 back in the day with my Christmas money, but it was worth every penny and the some! I don't understand the hate, this is one of my favourite games ever. And at the time it just felt like the FUTURE. Those opening cut-scenes with the voice-acting, the wonderful music, the HUGE worlds, changing characters, it was the ultimate 3D platformer for me. Weirdly I always assumed the expansion pack was to help with how huge the game is but apparently there was a game breaking bug and the expansion pack was the only way to fix it before release![..]
No, you´re missing my point, I don't hate the game, far from it, you can read my opinion in an old post above. My last post referred to the fact that the game was more expensive than regular (Nintendo) games because it included the expansion pack, a thing I didn´t need because I already had one. So I was paying for something I didn´t need but had no other option, because there was no release available without it.

I had plenty of fun with the game itself. As I didn´t have a Super Nintendo at that time, Donkey Kong 64 was my first Rare Donkey Kong.

Maaan, I'm getting tempted to bust out that N64 and this sometime soon...

Also whilst we're posting videos surely we can't forget THE classic!

You're an evil man. I honestly hate this song with a passion. When I first got the game I didn't mind it but when my mate bought it he fell in love with it and would constantly sing it. He eventually stopped due to me giving him a thump every time he sang it.

I remember once we were out at the Metro Centre and he started singing it. I let him and the rest of the lads walk a little way in front of me and then took a run up and smacked him right in his shoulder. I'm surprised that I didn't pop his arm out. To this day he still remembers that one. :D

I finished Crystal Caves last night. Quality world that one. Everything wasn't too spaced out and the music keeps you chilled throughout.

I did get a little frustrated though whilst trying to nab a golden banana for Diddy. After playing his guitar, I entered a little shack where you had to kill all of the enemies. There was one on each corner and 4 barrel kremlings in the center. You have to fly up and take all of them out before the time runs out and the target appears on the screen and the guy says "GET OUT!" It took me ages to do this as the barrel guys kept knocking me off the platform and then by the time I got up and running again I would run out of time.

I had to nip back to Fungi Forest as Lanky. I needed to beat the rabbit in a running race with my newly found dash/run ability. After I nabbed that banana it was time to call it a day.

There's just Creepy Castle left before I head back to Frantic Factory. I can't put it off forever.....:p

Creepy Castle was amazing! And if I remember correctly, also quite a compact level to the others.

@Sméagol I meant I don't understand the general hate it gets, though reading it back I can see why it sounded directed at you :P I just meant I thought the £60 was fine considering the quality of the game.

But yeah it sucks if you already had an expansion! Seems almost bizarre they wouldn't sell the game separately. I've seen a few yellow cartridges around but mine was grey, so maybe they released a copy without the expansion later on (though it's still stupid they wouldn't have done that at launch :P)

I've seen a few yellow cartridges around but mine was grey, so maybe they released a copy without the expansion later on (though it's still stupid they wouldn't have done that at launch :P)

The US and AU got the yellow cartridge, while us Europeans just got the standard grey. I suppose you could easily get the AU one as they are also PAL compatible.

I pretty much finished Creepy Castle last night. All that's left is to take on the boss of the area but I was feeling a bit rough so called it a night.

I had a nightmare trying to finish the Beaver Bother mini game. The little things just couldn't be coaxed into dropping down the hole. It took me ages to finish it and then 10 minutes later I found another bonus stage barrel that had exactly the same mini game again!!! RAAAAAGGGGGE!!!

I guess all that's left to do now is to tackle Frantic Factory. Sigh... I will start that tomorrow morning and hopefully it will go quickly and smoothly.

And it's over.

image_zps0f39bb8e.jpg

Frantic Factory was easier than I remember it. I just took it section by section and worked my way through the areas slowly. I also took care of the original Donkey Kong game pretty fast as well. Once I figured out the best path for the 3rd section it was a breeze.

The final boss fight always cracks me up. It's completely wacky and totally different from anything else. Unfortunately I failed the first time through it. I got right to the end but got killed as Chunky Kong. I did manage to beat K. Rool on the second attempt though as I had his timings down.

It was great watching the GameCube auditions again.

image_zpsa7f87861.jpg

Such a shame it never happened. :(

Now excuse me because this arrived today.

image_zpse5d9bba0.jpg

From one classic to another.

And it's over.

image_zps0f39bb8e.jpg

Frantic Factory was easier than I remember it. I just took it section by section and worked my way through the areas slowly. I also took care of the original Donkey Kong game pretty fast as well. Once I figured out the best path for the 3rd section it was a breeze.

The final boss fight always cracks me up. It's completely wacky and totally different from anything else. Unfortunately I failed the first time through it. I got right to the end but got killed as Chunky Kong. I did manage to beat K. Rool on the second attempt though as I had his timings down.

It was great watching the GameCube auditions again.

image_zpsa7f87861.jpg

Such a shame it never happened. :(

Now excuse me because this arrived today.

image_zpse5d9bba0.jpg

From one classic to another.

Nice! You kept mentioning Frantic Factory and it's one of those weird things where you remember somethnig - I can just remember the beginning and going down the big shafty bit with Tiny kong(to the left). Like in my head I've got this kinda layout of the place and it's funny that that's stuck with me. Sort of. To me anyway.

Aaaaaaaanyway - good to see SM64! It's a shame it doesn't time counter like DK does(consider submitting to http://www.howlongtobeat.com/ btw); been interested for a while what sorta time it'd take me to complete these days. If I get myself sorted with a few bits in the next few weeks I'm hopefully gonna bust out DK64 methinks...

Edited by Rummy

Nice! You kept mentioning Frantic Factory and it's one of those weird things where you remember somethnig - I can just remember the beginning and going down the big shafty bit with Tiny kong(to the left). Like in my head I've got this kinda layout of the place and it's funny that that's stuck with me. Sort of. To me anyway.

Yeah, there's a giant shaft/piston area where you have to:

A) Get it moving by using DK and pulling a lever

B) Make your way to the top as it's rotating with various Kongs.

I just remember the place being like a giant maze when I was younger. Clearly my mind was playing tricks on me. :D

As for Mario, i'll be bumping a Mario 64 topic soon to put down my thoughts about it. Here's a taster....it's awesome. :D

I have quite fond memories of this game. Though I did play through this way before touching Banjo.

I have two things I remember from this game. The final boss battle was brilliant.

The Multiplayer while simple was a mode me and my brothers enjoyed playing at the time. Not many games beyond Pokemon we really played much multiplayer on the N64. Mario Kart 64 was not as good as Crash Team Racing, We didn't own Golden Eye. Most of our multiplayer gaming got done on the PS1.

I have quite fond memories of this game. Though I did play through this way before touching Banjo.

I have two things I remember from this game. The final boss battle was brilliant.

The Multiplayer while simple was a mode me and my brothers enjoyed playing at the time. Not many games beyond Pokemon we really played much multiplayer on the N64. Mario Kart 64 was not as good as Crash Team Racing, We didn't own Golden Eye. Most of our multiplayer gaming got done on the PS1.

Yeah, the final boss is simply amazing. It's like all the teams imagination went into this fight because the rest of the bosses are pretty poor. Saying that, it's the same for the Country series as well. Shoddy bosses thought out the game but awesome final fights.