N-Europe

inFAMOUS 2

Daft

Fantastic game and even though I enjoy the Sly games I wish Sucker Punch were making another Infamous before Sly 4 arrives.

Technically they are. I believe Festival of Blood is a standalone product, although naturally it'll reuse parts of New Marais.

Also, Sly 4 is being made by Sanzaru Games. Other than the above I suspect Sucker Punch are working on a new IP.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished this earlier having borrowed from a friend.

I still have reservations about the black and white karma system and the binary endings, but by sticking to its guns and improving the established formula without any real hitches or drawbacks, the sequel to Infamous has a lot of things going for it. The powers are more spectacular, Cole’s movement is hilariously more fluid and empowering, and gone are the intrusively mundane side missions from the first game. On the flip-side I do think the framework of the franchise needs to be rethought with a greater focus on refined cinematic missions; bosses and mini-bosses don’t really work in a sandbox setup, and add to that, Sucker Punch needs to stop drip-feeding the best abilities right til the close because it means the most liberating gameplay gets shafted.

I think this falls in line with popular opinion really. Also of note - the different ability types that you could change with the dpad were almost redundant. Some of them it was hard to tell whether they really had a place in the game as they were dreadful and it was hard to identify any plausible differences between a few of them. The ice launch ability when you're playing as a hero was awesome, but it was annoying that you couldn't use that, the kinetic pulse and the tether without stopping the game briefly. Seemed especially irritating as Launch/Tether shouldn't have disabled each other when in use seeing as the latter could only be used when aiming.

The game works best when your influence over Cole is seamless, but that was compromised a bit by strange design choices in some cases. Too few buttons on the controller, and if that's a problem, there's probably something wrong with the ability mapping.

Edited by dwarf

Finished this earlier having borrowed from a friend.

I think this falls in line with popular opinion really. Also of note - the different ability types that you could change with the dpad were almost redundant. Some of them it was hard to tell whether they really had a place in the game as they were dreadful and it was hard to identify any plausible differences between a few of them. The ice launch ability when you're playing as a hero was awesome, but it was annoying that you couldn't use that, the kinetic pulse and the tether without stopping the game briefly. Seemed especially irritating as Launch/Tether shouldn't have disabled each other when in use seeing as the latter could only be used when aiming.

The game works best when your influence over Cole is seamless, but that was compromised a bit by strange design choices in some cases. Too few buttons on the controller, and if that's a problem, there's probably something wrong with the ability mapping.

Wow thanks for the inciteful review and further comments! I've not started it yet but loved the first one. Loved how empowered you feel by the end. Even though yes the binary natural of good and evil is somewhat primitive and something that games are increasingly trying to move away from or make more meaningful! I guess in someways it does fit with heroes and villains of the superhero world.

As far as I'm concerned you can only be good.

Except you said you got the evil ending, which means you had to have played a majority of the game as a bad guy.

Unless you think killing civilians and wreaking havoc constitutes as 'good'. :heh:

Or unless you were just confused and when you said that you "suddenly turned evil" at the end, you actually got the good ending without realizing it.

But yeah, the moral choices were embarrassing.

Except you said you got the evil ending, which means you had to have played a majority of the game as a bad guy.

Unless you think killing civilians and wreaking havoc constitutes as 'good'. :heh:

Or unless you were just confused and when you said that you "suddenly turned evil" at the end, you actually got the good ending without realizing it.

But yeah, the moral choices were embarrassing.

Yeah, I got the good ending and then thought, lol, no. I want the bad ending because I think it's a legitimate choice and watched YouTube.

Chose to 'fulfil' karmic destiny in the game because I wanted that Western feel-good vibe.

IRL I would've saved myself. Probably an instinctual thing. It's the principle that if you're not alive, who gives a shite about those who are?

I will not die, it’s the world that will end

So I thought your game save from the 1st game was meant to carry over in some form? Just I played it evil and the game seems to have started with me being good (I assume as my lightening is blue!)

Here's what you get and how to do it.

So for those of us that played and completed the first inFamous game, the developers decided to reward players that completed the first game by offering starting bonuses for Cole McGrath's second adventure.

Finished the game on any difficulty: 1,000 starting XP

Have obtained a Good or Evil Trophy: Start with level 1 good or bad karma

Have found 25 percent of the blast shards: Energy core (health bar segment)

Have found 50 percent of the blast shards: Two energy cores

Certain unspecified "decisions" also result in changes in side missions, Dead Drops and dialogue

Note that this feature checks your local trophy data on your PS3, not your save file. Even if you have earned the inFamous trophies and have synced them to the servers but they're not saved locally on your system itself, this feature won't appear upon starting a new game.

To get around this, do the following:

Start up inFamous 1

Load your save(s), and then save again

Local trophy data should now be in your PS3

Start up a new game in inFamous 2

• 2 weeks later...

So finished this last night. 100% collected blast shards this morning got just 1 dead drop to find and I loved it.

@Daft I have to come out and say you were spot on in saying this is a game of the year contender. I didn't expect it to be because it doesn't look any different from the original from the press it's been getting. However it really is so much better due to the refinements that have been made to the game.

I chose the bad ending and despite at first feeling like I'd maybe made the wrong choice by the end I did feel it was a legitimate choice and was happy with my decision as such, for my Cole it was the best result and for the world at large going forward it may well be too. Although one thing I had to do was heart wrenching.

Infamous is the only game I've ever played evil in and am glad I continued this in 2. However I don't feel the heart strings are tugged enough to make you really think. The Kuo/Nix was interesting but it was somewhat telling that no matter who you chose the opposite would always come running back to you at some point.

I assumed you could change your karma at the end and went back to try it but it doesn't let you due to you being locked in. Early in the game when you pick who to combine powers with it will shift you completly round, I picked Kuo's because she could fly and thought that was cool but it shifted me straight to good and that's not what I wanted so without even trying the powers out I reloaded an old save. I assumed you could do the same at the end opening up the RFI.

One final bizarre thing I still have two areas that are under enemy control but no more side missions to do? Do you have to be good to unlock all the missions or is it a case of killing enemies and hoping one of the mission pop up where you find a radio talking about a convoy that needs destroying or summit.

Glad you enjoyed it. This game really did not get enough love.

I'm waiting for the Move controls before playing through it again. Really looking forward to the DLC.

Yeah coming out week of E3 didn't help. Also didn't know they were adding Move controls, looks like will hold out for them before doing a second playthrough on hard as a good guy after all!

• 1 month later...

I bought and played through the DLC yesterday. I found it quite enjoyable, even though it only lasts a few hours. I loved the bat flying move, it made getting around so much quicker and easier. I also liked the fact that they made this a standalone package, so you don't need to keep a hold of the retail game.

As I said, it's a short experience but well worth it, especially at the cut price for PS+ owners.

I bought and played through the DLC yesterday. I found it quite enjoyable, even though it only lasts a few hours. I loved the bat flying move, it made getting around so much quicker and easier. I also liked the fact that they made this a standalone package, so you don't need to keep a hold of the retail game.

As I said, it's a short experience but well worth it, especially at the cut price for PS+ owners.

Yeah I plan on picking it up at some point. I love how Zeke's little made up stories basically mean that anything can happen in these side stories. I hope we see more of them as time goes on. It's an easy fun way of reusuing the games assests and giving cheaper affordable bite sized chunks of Infamous!

• 1 month later...