N-Europe

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Zechs Merquise

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two new vids.

Mate, your vids are like an advert for this game, they look great. You should contact Ashley and get them up on the main site, they are the best COD:BO vids I've seen anywhere on the web.

Now comes the bad news. A whole ago my Wii started freezing up. When I got Goldeneye it started getting a lot worse, freezing up every other time I was looking for a game online. Things have now got worse and it is just locking up all the time. I'll have to send it back to Nintendo, who will no doubt charge me a lot.

I played all yesterday aft though with Kav and we owned, a lot. then last night my Wii was running so bad I could barely hit anything. Then it began freezing. After being so hyped for Black Ops and Goldeneye, for my Wii to give up now is gutting!

MAJOR EDIT:

It's not my Wii it's a problem with the Lan Adaptor, it's been found to cause problems with both this and Goldeneye. I've switched to Wireless and it's working fine! Phew, hope they sort this though. I love my fast wired connection!

MAJOR EDIT 2:

I can play Zombies with a wired connection and get full green bars, it works without any issues. On the other hand I can't play multiplayer. This is a pretty big mistake on Activision's part and there seem to be plenty of people having this problem.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

We all know there have been first week teething issues with the online multiplayer (Zombies, single player and combat training are fine). I am pleased to see this morning that Josh Olin from Treyarch has addressed the Wii community through the offical COD boards, he had this to say:

Wii community. We are listening and have been working on updates. Stay tuned here.

If you have been experiencing connectivity issues, you can help us diagnose them by contacting Activision’s Customer Support Group at:

Web/Email: http://www.activision.com/support

Phone: (800) 225-6588 (7am-7pm PST, 7 days a week – US and Canada or check your manual).

You can help us out by providing these details if you're having a problem connecting to a game:

• nature of the problem

• connection type: wired or wireless (Static IP or Dynamic)

• LAN adapter brand if applicable

• network switch or router model

• any other details you think are relevant

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

-JD

This is extremely heartening, as usually the Wii community are left behind, but Treyarch clearly do care. Not only have they fashioned an utterly tremendous and HUGE game with the best online friend system on the Wii, but they are also very quick off the mark to try and sort out issues that the community is having.

I suggest everyone contacts Treyarch listing the problems, which are poor connections at times and the freezing issue when using LAN Adaptors! I'm writing to them now, you can see the official COD forum and Josh's post here:

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=313460&sid=73fo77vkbmn2pvfsv9gf435ic7

Nice, glad to see the devs active on this matter...

Btw, been thinking of UK shops if no copies arrive here this week. Any online game stores you would recommend? I think Gameplay is the only UK one I've ever ordered from...(No Mercy, Conker's BFD :D)

They gimped some levels in the Wii version :angry:

X-Ray 360/Wii Comparison

India Boat 360/Wii Comparison

I have another one that I'm working on. Don't understand why they neuterd the Wii version since it doesn't look like anything that couldn't have been pulled off.

Edited by Mokong

Two new reviews in for the Wii version:

IGN 7.5

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/113/1133688p2.html

GAMESPOT 9.0

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/callofduty7workingtitle/review.html

Getting some solid reviews for the Wii version, Gamespot was particularly good:

Though it has no split-screen play and some of the online elements are slightly scaled back, Call of Duty: Black Ops on the Wii is almost every bit as excellent as its HD console counterparts.

They gimped some levels in the Wii version :angry:

I have another one that I'm working on. Don't understand why they neuterd the Wii version since it doesn't look like anything that couldn't have been pulled off.

I fixed your videos for you, press edit on your post and check how to post YT vids properly, you don't use the full embed code on the forums here

Nice, glad to see the devs active on this matter...

Btw, been thinking of UK shops if no copies arrive here this week. Any online game stores you would recommend? I think Gameplay is the only UK one I've ever ordered from...(No Mercy, Conker's BFD :D)

Websites to look into ordering from would be Shopto, Amazon, Play, HMV, Game, Gameplay, Gamestation, Blahdvd, Zavvi.

I often use Shopto, Play and Amazon, with occasional purchases from the rest.

Edited by Retro_Link

I usually order from Play.com or from Gameplay.com, both of which have been great. I've also ordered from Shopto which is good. I ordered my headset from Gamesbasement and they were great, it was delivered by courier on day of release just as they promised!

More single player impressions:

I am loving the single player, in fact it's the one of the most enjoyable single player COD I've played. I didn't like a lot of the MW2 campaign, I thought the sections with the US marines were a little boring and I felt no connection to them, I battled through them just waiting to be back with Ghost, Soap, Roach and Price - that was where the real fun was. This seems more tightly focused on the main protaganist and his personal journey and is told in a really interesting way as you're being interrogated by shadowy figures who still haven't revealed themselves.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Some of those stores were totally new to me...

Well, Gamestop didn't have it either as I suspected, seems the Finnish launch is on Friday the 19th next week. Only a week, so preordered from GS today, got rid of a few old games by trading them in for the campaign...

Btw, how's the headset working? What kind of sound quality, how much echo? Been thinking about that as well...

...Btw, how's the headset working? What kind of sound quality, how much echo? Been thinking about that as well...

It's a fantastic piece of equipment! It works very well and the sound quality is crystal clear. It feels well built and yet it's not too heavy or too light when it sits on your ear.

It really is a MUST-HAVE for this game!

More single player impressions:

I am loving the single player, in fact it's the one of the most enjoyable single player COD I've played. I didn't like a lot of the MW2 campaign, I thought the sections with the US marines were a little boring and I felt no connection to them, I battled through them just waiting to be back with Ghost, Soap, Roach and Price - that was where the real fun was. This seems more tightly focused on the main protaganist and his personal journey and is told in a really interesting way as you're being interrogated by shadowy figures who still haven't revealed themselves.

Yeah I'm loving the single player too. Only COD I played in full was MWR, single player was good there too but I'm liking this one more as there is more attention on the main character and found a better contection with secondary characters. Just up to the level on Rebirth Island, few secondary characters bit the dust last level which really upset me, haha, went off guns blazing looking for revenge. Haha.

I'm pretty sure when you find out how the interegators are there's gonna be some kind of twist and I think I may have worked it out...

I have a feeling Reznov isn't real, or at least after a certain point he's no longer real. That he's just in Masons head as part of some brainwashing he's been through. Reznov just seems to be there but I don't think I've seen any other characters interact with him.

And Mason is probably a brainwashed sleeper agent. Or maybe Reznov is really the big bad buy, brianwashed Mason into killing Dragovic and co so they were out of his way.

Just my thoughts at this point. If you finished the game remember to spoiler tag stuff ;)

Well darn, forgot to check the most important thing:

does the game support HDTV/EDTV (i.e. 480p)?

If not, can't play it...

It's a fantastic piece of equipment! It works very well and the sound quality is crystal clear. It feels well built and yet it's not too heavy or too light when it sits on your ear.

It really is a MUST-HAVE for this game!

Ok, good to hear. Have to consider this from the Gamesbasement, should I be able to play the game in the first place...

Well darn, forgot to check the most important thing:

does the game support HDTV/EDTV (i.e. 480p)?

If not, can't play it...

Ok, good to hear. Have to consider this from the Gamesbasement, should I be able to play the game in the first place...

Yeah it does, I've seen it discussed on other forums.

Yeah I'm loving the single player too. Only COD I played in full was MWR, single player was good there too but I'm liking this one more as there is more attention on the main character and found a better contection with secondary characters. Just up to the level on Rebirth Island, few secondary characters bit the dust last level which really upset me, haha, went off guns blazing looking for revenge. Haha.

I'm pretty sure when you find out how the interegators are there's gonna be some kind of twist and I think I may have worked it out...

I have a feeling Reznov isn't real, or at least after a certain point he's no longer real. That he's just in Masons head as part of some brainwashing he's been through. Reznov just seems to be there but I don't think I've seen any other characters interact with him.

And Mason is probably a brainwashed sleeper agent. Or maybe Reznov is really the big bad buy, brianwashed Mason into killing Dragovic and co so they were out of his way.

Just my thoughts at this point. If you finished the game remember to spoiler tag stuff ;)

MAJOR SPOLIERS:

You're right, Reznov is in his head. Reznov did exist, but helped reprogramme him, but alter the programming for his own ends.

I though the story was excellent.

Some people are reading it that Mason killed JFK afterwards, I didn't see that though, I thought after the death of JFK he realised what the numbers meant, and after all he'd be de-preogrammed by then. Anyway, great game and great story!

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Finished the single player last night, really enjoyed it, as I said thought the story was better than MWR, liked the better focus on the main character and the set up of the interigation with the levels being "memories" as told by Mason to his captors worked well to gell the levels together.

Although I think the very end was a slight anti climax though.... but I thought the same about MWR too anyway.

I think the problem with these kind of games is there's no real "bosses" as such for you to go toe to toe with atthe end of levels/the game. (Is Goldeneyes single player similar "boss-wise"?)

Finished it on Regular difficulty, only found something like 5 intels overall too... though I didn't really look for them ones I did find were by accident. Started again on Hardened to see how far I get, not doing too bad. Up to the end of Vorkuta... died a fair few times but still doing better than I expected.

Does nothing unlock for completing the game though?

Some people are reading it that Mason killed JFK afterwards, I didn't see that though, I thought after the death of JFK he realised what the numbers meant, and after all he'd be de-preogrammed by then. Anyway, great game and great story!

I get what your saying but I think it is implying that Mason killed JFK.

Mainly the part at the end when he is drowning Dragovich and says "You tried to make me kill the President" and Dragovich replies "Tired?"

Kinda sounds like he knows it's not exactly "over" for Mason.

Was weird though when the JFK stuff came up and I started to think "OMG Mason killed JFK" I was thinking there might be the one more level where you get to play as Mason "taking the shot" from the grassy knowl :heh:

Luckily the devs weren't that stupid to include that. Pretending to kill a dictator who is still alive is one thing... killing someone who died and doing it in the historical/conspriracy way would have been a step too far.

Wonder if anyone told the Cuban media who were upset over the 1st level what the end of the game implies the main character does... how would they feel then?

Edited by Mokong

Well I've finished the campaign now and did enjoy it more as I went through it... but I'd say it's got nothing on the campaign from Modern Warfare (CoD4). I preferred Modern Warfare's campaign in every single way!

Still, online is where it's at and I'm loving it... although they still need to improve the matchmaking and host selection.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!