NEurope
danny

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

I think its over and done really. I was only trying to show Sheikah a different side and I presume he's said all that he wants to. If others want to weigh in then fine, but it took up less than a page so I don't think it really needs to be ripped providing it doesn't carry on.

Actually, when are results typically announced? I know you can vote til 10pm so is it the middle of the night some time?

Edited by Ashley

Actually, when are results typically announced? I know you can vote til 10pm so is it the middle of the night some time?

Yeah I think it's usually revealed shortly after midnight.

Hmph. Don't they know some of us have to be up at 6am?

My dad's taking the next day off work so he can stay up all night watching the results come out.

Yeah I think it's usually revealed shortly after midnight.

Probably going to be longer then that, if the results are as close as the polls suggest they will be.

I think its over and done really. I was only trying to show Sheikah a different side and I presume he's said all that he wants to. If others want to weigh in then fine, but it took up less than a page so I don't think it really needs to be ripped providing it doesn't carry on.

It's staggered

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/apr/29/election-2010-constituency-declaration-times

Hardly surprising news for anyone that's been near the Guardian website/iPhone App/paper for the last month or so :p

Anyone see Gordon Brown's Paxman interview? Damn. He really needs to learn to speak like that more often! Paxman didn't have a clue what to do :p It's the first time I've seen Brown be given the chance to explain the past 13 years of the UK's financial history. It's quite compelling really and it does bring in to focus just how much he's achieved. It also makes me worry about how much of that the Tories could be about to destroy. The IoD Conference was on afterwards on BBC Parliament and yet again I found myself worried about what George Osborne was saying...

I never thought I'd say this (and no offence intended to certain members around these parts), but I hope Sinn Féin and the DULP do well on Thursday.

Why, you ask?

Well the Unionist parties would almost definitely join the Tories if they needed them for a majority, and, judging by the newest projection from my beloved FiveThirtyEight, the Northern Irish parties might just be the clincher.

swing538_2.png

326 to win, a total of 18 available across the Irish Sea. Currently, 8 have Nationalist MPs, 10 Unionist MPs.

Oh, and, as always, vote Lib Dem!

Edited by The fish

I would hope the Conservatives do less well than that.

As do I - sadly, if the polling data reflects the vote on the day, this site will likely get it spot on. Nate Silver, the author, does however admit that it can't account for people either getting cold feet for Conservatives (evil history)/Lib Dems ("wasted vote") and not voting for them, people changing to a Tory vote to oust Brown, or, possibly, as in 1997, an en-masse "fuck it, vote for the party X" leading to a surprise result (hopefully in the Lib Dem's favour :heh:). This election, being the first in a long time to bring in the 3rd party as a major player, is uncharted territory.

Politics Home also have a rival projection (they've come to verbal blows with 538...), which has a rather handy interactive map, and is a little less in the Tories' favour. It can be found here.

Annoyingly their map is a case of "one seat, one square", so finding your own constituent can be tricky, and cities take up huge amounts of space. Find Luton (the double red on the right in the sea of blue that is south east England), and try and find Buckingham, which is separated from it only by the relatively small South West Bedfordshire. If and when you find it, you'll see why that kind of map is fucking confusing. Hint: remember the status of Buckingham's MP.

Edited by The fish

It's interesting though to think that about month a go the Tories were looking certain to walk it. Now they can't even be confident of an overall majority. I don't have work on Friday so I think I'll stay up for the preliminary results in the wee hours. The polls are so finely balanced anything could go anyway. Plus Charlie Brooker + David Mitchell on Channel 4 = Raw Sexiness. Satirical sexiness!

Edited by gaggle64

Gargghhh. I don't know who to vote for anymore. I was going to vote Lib Dem but upon doing some research of the candidate they have here, I've decided I don't really like him. He went on holiday halfway through April for a week and didn't turn up to the candidates debate at my college, when all the others did. Plus there's that whole tactical voting thing, the Lib Dems really really don't stand much of a chance here and it will be very close between Labour and the Tories - perhaps I should just keep them out at all costs?

Thoughts anyone?

Plus there's that whole tactical voting thing, the Lib Dems really really don't stand much of a chance here and it will be very close between Labour and the Tories - perhaps I should just keep them out at all costs?

Thoughts anyone?

There's talk of a Lib Dem surge in the North East - their swing there has been the highest of anywhere. They're all currently Labour seats in Newcastle, but, from what I've read, some of the seats looks set to swing - especially whichever one has the bulk of Uni accommodation in (I forget which).

Plus Charlie Brooker + David Mitchell on Channel 4 = Raw Sexiness. Satirical sexiness!

As soon as I heard that was happening, I knew I'd probably still be up at sunrise on the 7th. The fact that I'm playing a drinking game at a friend's as the results come in will be...interesting...

There's talk of a Lib Dem surge in the North East - their swing there has been the highest of anywhere. They're all currently Labour seats in Newcastle, but, from what I've read, some of the seats looks set to swing - especially whichever one has the bulk of Uni accommodation in (I forget which).

As soon as I heard that was happening, I knew I'd probably still be up at sunrise on the 7th. The fact that I'm playing a drinking game at a friend's as the results come in will be...interesting...

Oh if I was in a Newcastle seat it wouldn't be a problem but I live in Tynemouth, traditionally a safe Tory seat and now a Lab/Con marginal. So the Lib Dems really aren't that big here....maybe I'll vote for them anyway just to make a point. Or maybe I'll just pass out in the polling booth from indecision.

I just had a thought: I'm voting in this election for my home constituency, which I am going to then move away from 3 months later. For a full 5 years.

This seems somewhat silly.

I never thought I'd say this (and no offence intended to certain members around these parts), but I hope Sinn Féin and the DULP do well on Thursday.

"Sinn Féin is the largest group in the Republican wing of Irish nationalism and is closely associated with the IRA" (wikipedia)

I don't think I'll be voting for them.. (and i never will)

I'm sticking with the middle parties who want us all to live amicably.

Plus Charlie Brooker + David Mitchell on Channel 4 = Raw Sexiness. Satirical sexiness!

Jimmy Carr also being on the programme puts me off it massively.

"Sinn Féin is the largest group in the Republican wing of Irish nationalism and is closely associated with the IRA" (wikipedia)

Better than the Conservatives! :heh:

So interestingly, one of the more prolific writers at the Mail has urged his readers to vote for Anyone But Conservatives:

Yay surprises

So interestingly, one of the more prolific writers at the Mail has urged his readers to vote for Anyone But Conservatives:

Yay surprises

Apparently it's snowing in hell.

I double checked the URL and everything to make sure it wasn't a spoof, I'm shocked.

Apparently it's snowing in hell.

I double checked the URL and everything to make sure it wasn't a spoof, I'm shocked.

To be fair I think his basic message is: Don't vote Tory, they're not conservative enough in their current form.

Still is a bit of a shocker though.