N-Europe

DudeDazz's Movie Reviews

Beast

Just, please, don't have "dudedazz" because it sounds like a child is doing it.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. New Angle, Guys! What about if you reviewed films as if they were being reviewed by 6 year olds. Think of it as "Axe Cop Meets Empire." It would be brilliant.

I second Jay's idea. Deesquared sounds nice.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made other points! Bah. You wanted an outside opinion.

I'm actually torn between DC and Deesquared, haha. The only problem that I have with Deesquared is that it's just as long as DudeDazz and I wanted to cut it down a bit...unless you meant www. deesquared. com?

Actually, that's not a bad idea. New Angle, Guys! What about if you reviewed films as if they were being reviewed by 6 year olds. Think of it as "Axe Cop Meets Empire." It would be brilliant.

I second Jay's idea. Deesquared sounds nice.

Hmm, I don't know. I like it but I want it to feel personal if you catch my drift. See, I like Deesquared but I'd love it better if it was shorter. Also, I think somebody else already has that name. Does nobody like www. dcmoviereviews .com or www. dcreviews .com?

By the way, thank you all for being honest with me! I'm definitely not going to have DudeDazz in my website but I'll always be DudeDazz here. :)

Edited by Animal

I kind of am as a profession, it's always been my dream but I think I get what you mean. I just can't think of another name no matter how hard I try. My friends and family have tried helping me but it just doesn't fit, if that makes sense. I just have no idea what to call it...

What I was getting at is it sounds like someone who is trying to be professional, rather than someone who is. I know you are not technically but outward appearance is everything (or at least something :heh:) and if you don't believe you're professional nobody will.

Okay, my friend has come up with one for me. Technically it's not changing my name but it is changing the domain.

www. ddmoviereviews .com

What do you think? I like it but I need an outsider opinion.

I did consider suggesting that and its fine but keep in mind you may get the occasional snigger.

If I were to use my real name's initials, it would be www. dcmoviereviews .com. I know I probably wouldn't venture anywhere else since my passion and love is for movies. I could just change my site's name to DC's Movie Reviews, no?

Likewise, people could presume its a site reviewing movies based on DC comics. Or Dick Chaney...

I do mean just deesquared.com.

Flink; axe cop meets empire would be totally winner! We can be the next forum project that lasts for two weeks? (I'm serious)

Okay I've slept on it and I decided that I didn't want any nicknames anymore regarding my movie review website because I want to be taken seriously if I were to succeed in this and my nickname doesn't really sound professional so I'm going to go for dcmoviereviews.com. However, I've been trying to think of a name for a personal blog that separates me from my movie review ties and so, if you don't mind, I want to call my personal blog deesquared.

Just slowly phase out DudeDazz. We were all against it when you changed it on here too. :p

I just might do that and change my name on here to Deesquared since I do actually like that :p I never realised how many people actually hate my name! LMAO!

And when you used that font.

And when you used colours.

Really, we just hate you.

Aww, thanks Ash, I love you too! :hug:

Edited by Animal

What I was getting at is it sounds like someone who is trying to be professional, rather than someone who is. I know you are not technically but outward appearance is everything (or at least something :heh:) and if you don't believe you're professional nobody will.

True. I just hate of thinking up names and everybody's thought up of some cool names but I just thought DC's Movie Reviews is simple, straight-to-the-point, easy to remember and short.

I did consider suggesting that and its fine but keep in mind you may get the occasional snigger.

I already did, haha. By the way, nice picture! :wink:

Likewise, people could presume its a site reviewing movies based on DC comics. Or Dick Chaney...

Do you think that could be a real problem though?

I do mean just deesquared.com.

Flink; axe cop meets empire would be totally winner! We can be the next forum project that lasts for two weeks? (I'm serious)

Haha, I'd love to make a proper go of it. But, unfortunately, I'm shit at writing funny stuff.

I can talk like a six year old if that helps. Maybe you can dictate!

Good luck with this, DudeDazz. DEESQUARED.

Thanks FLink and thanks everybody for helping me, it really means a lot. I've decided to go with http://www.dcmoviereviews.com because it's not necessarily about the name, it's about the content and the quality of it. It's kind of a personal hobby of mine anyway and I enjoy doing it very much and if anything else happens (such as interviews and hopefully getting a job out of it), then that would be a plus for me.

Thank you guys very much for helping me! You really have helped me a lot. :)

...also I think Jayseven and FLink should do that site, it would be cool!

Are you studying anything atm Dazz? Or if not, could you study journalism or something? I get the impression that would be a good thing to do if you want to actually work as a reviewer. (Maybe not journalism, there's probably a better course if you want to be a reviewer, but yeah)

Are you studying anything atm Dazz? Or if not, could you study journalism or something? I get the impression that would be a good thing to do if you want to actually work as a reviewer. (Maybe not journalism, there's probably a better course if you want to be a reviewer, but yeah)

I had already looked and unfortunately colleges near me doesn't have journalism and the other colleges that do are just too far away and even then, I tried but they were always full. It seems journalism is quite popular, haha. I don't know whether reviewing movies WOULD be under journalism...I always thought it would be under film studies or something...(and that's not by me either)

I had already looked and unfortunately colleges near me doesn't have journalism and the other colleges that do are just too far away and even then, I tried but they were always full. It seems journalism is quite popular, haha. I don't know whether reviewing movies WOULD be under journalism...I always thought it would be under film studies or something...(and that's not by me either)

Why do they have to be by you? The fun of going to college/uni is you get to go somewhere new. If it's what you want to be in life then you really should try absolutely everything to make it a reality

College does have to be nearby really, for practical reasons. But yeah, for uni bugger off! :p

And I did a film reviewing class as part of my Film Studies pathway. Was quite interesting/different/we had a lesson on the grass.

College does have to be nearby really, for practical reasons. But yeah, for uni bugger off! :p

And I did a film reviewing class as part of my Film Studies pathway. Was quite interesting/different/we had a lesson on the grass.

What kind of things did you learn? Was it different ways of writing and things like that?

Not really.

It was with the most relaxed lecturer we ever had. It was the last semester of the last year so he took it for granted we knew how to write anyway, and in terms of stylistically our 2nd assignment (our first being 4 reviews done over the course of the semester) was to analyse one particular reviewer so we were supposed to start that right away to get a notion of writing reviews.

But to be fair, there's not much that can be said in terms of how to write a review. And I think he did go over the main points at the start anyway from what I recall.

It was mostly some light-hearted relief during our dissertation time (except when he shoehorned some theories we hadn't done into the 2nd assignment two weeks before it was due).

To be frank you can only say so much about how to review a film, what you need to do is spend time practicing and finding your voice/style. Mine was snark (re: Coraline "Teri Hatcher does a great job as Mother/Other Mother and proves that she can do more than just fumble around annoyingly" or something similar), a friend's was humourous despair/wit (like Charlie Brooker mixed with Stephen Fry but that was his personality anyway) and one of the girl's was unashamed enthusiasm for pretty much everything.

In fact the biggest benefit of it wasn't the writing practice but the group feedback. And as such you should always ask for feedback on your reviews from lots of people.

I typed more than I thought I would...

Not really.

It was with the most relaxed lecturer we ever had. It was the last semester of the last year so he took it for granted we knew how to write anyway, and in terms of stylistically our 2nd assignment (our first being 4 reviews done over the course of the semester) was to analyse one particular reviewer so we were supposed to start that right away to get a notion of writing reviews.

But to be fair, there's not much that can be said in terms of how to write a review. And I think he did go over the main points at the start anyway from what I recall.

It was mostly some light-hearted relief during our dissertation time (except when he shoehorned some theories we hadn't done into the 2nd assignment two weeks before it was due).

To be frank you can only say so much about how to review a film, what you need to do is spend time practicing and finding your voice/style. Mine was snark (re: Coraline "Teri Hatcher does a great job as Mother/Other Mother and proves that she can do more than just fumble around annoyingly" or something similar), a friend's was humourous despair/wit (like Charlie Brooker mixed with Stephen Fry but that was his personality anyway) and one of the girl's was unashamed enthusiasm for pretty much everything.

In fact the biggest benefit of it wasn't the writing practice but the group feedback. And as such you should always ask for feedback on your reviews from lots of people.

I typed more than I thought I would...

Yeah, I don't even know if I have a 'voice' yet and if I did, I've no idea what it is, haha.

Also, I've asked my friends but they say "Yeah it's cool" and I'm like "No improvements?" and they say there's none and I just KNOW there is somewhere. I tried asking my family, practically the same thing. I think the best are people who you don't know...

I think you lack a distinctive "voice" at the moment, personally.

I don't know what else. For me, something is missing, and it's probably that. As Ashley mentioned, the fact that the act of studying how to review films involves looking at and analysing existing reviews and reviewers, is important. It seems to indicate that a big part of a successful film review will come from the style/how it's written/what viewpoint it comes from. That's just my assumption though.

I also want you to review films I want to read reviews of! :p You liked Let The Right One In, and you can't be buying/renting ALL these films, so I wonder why you don't watch more (what I would probably call "interesting" or "thought-provoking") films like that. But then that desire comes from my personal taste. Like, I'm so interested in what you or anybody thinks about Inland Empire or Dancer in The Dark. Even Alien, a famous stunner, and when people are like "Em...it's boring..." I scream and relish in the knowledge I know better than them. :D

Ask Dan Dare for more specifics on journalism, but I do believe reviewing would fall under that. Dan's reviewed games/gay bars for a while now :P

Question is, are you actually any good at reviewing?

If you did a film course you'd have a better knowledge of what goes into making a movies, the history of movies, thus a firmer place to stand and make your informed judgement.

I think you lack a distinctive "voice" at the moment, personally.

I don't know what else. For me, something is missing, and it's probably that. As Ashley mentioned, the fact that the act of studying how to review films involves looking at and analysing existing reviews and reviewers, is important. It seems to indicate that a big part of a successful film review will come from the style/how it's written/what viewpoint it comes from. That's just my assumption though.

I also want you to review films I want to read reviews of! :p You liked Let The Right One In, and you can't be buying/renting ALL these films, so I wonder why you don't watch more (what I would probably call "interesting" or "thought-provoking") films like that. But then that desire comes from my personal taste. Like, I'm so interested in what you or anybody thinks about Inland Empire or Dancer in The Dark. Even Alien, a famous stunner, and when people are like "Em...it's boring..." I scream and relish in the knowledge I know better than them. :D

I read reviews from critics on Rotten Tomatoes everyday and I check Roger Eberts page every couple of days and I try to kind of include a little more in my reviews yet have my own voice...if that makes sense.

Also, I borrow movies from my family and friends, I watch them on television or I look into my pile of VHS and DVD movies. One of my mates works in Blockbusters and gets like ten free rentals so sometimes I nab a movie from him, haha. I go to the cinemas and see movies every fortnight or something, sometimes once a week depending...

Ask Dan Dare for more specifics on journalism, but I do believe reviewing would fall under that. Dan's reviewed games/gay bars for a while now :P

Question is, are you actually any good at reviewing?

If you did a film course you'd have a better knowledge of what goes into making a movies, the history of movies, thus a firmer place to stand and make your informed judgement.

I actually don't know this. I mean, I've read books and interviews and studied what goes on in making movies and things like that but I'm not entirely sure on the quality of my reviews. I don't want my reviews to be long-winded but at the same time I don't want them to be short either. I want people to just read it straightforward and simple to understand (if that makes sense).

Thank you for the tips, I shall message Dan Dare sometime. Also, please don't be scared to let rip on my reviews as I think criticism is always good so I can see areas to improve. :)

Also, I'm always looking for movie suggestions so don't be scared to tell me them either! :D

Edited by Animal

Mhm film knowledge/historical knowledge would be useful. Its only about 100-140ish years (depending on what form you want to begin at) so its not too hard :heh: But to use an old example if you had the knowledge you could discuss whether Precious has parallels to blackspolitation cinema, which would be interesting because its not something your average joe-on-the-street would talk about but may still be interested in hearing about (although I haven't read many reviews on the film so don't know if it was discussed).

But in terms of 'voice' and other general feedback don't forget this thread has a first page :p

Edited by Ashley

Mhm film knowledge/historical knowledge would be useful. Its only about 100-140ish years (depending on what form you want to begin at) so its not too hard :heh: But to use an old example if you had the knowledge you could discuss whether Precious has parallels to blackspolitation cinema, which would be interesting because its not something your average joe-on-the-street would talk about but may still be interested in hearing about (although I haven't read many reviews on the film so don't know if it was discussed).

But in terms of 'voice' and other general feedback don't forget this thread has a first page :p

Aah, I thought it might have been improved or something...ah never mind. :laughing:

And yeah, Precious did have race brought into it but that was mainly because of White's review about it, saying it was racist and stereotypical (such as Precious stealing and eating a bucket of chicken) which I think is just silly. I think sometimes people genuinely look for the racism in movies, if that makes sense.