Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2010

Retro_Link

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I haven't replied in here since the end of the season I just thought I'd mention I'm pretty upset about the result of the championship. There's always next year though. Vettel was definitely my least favourite for the title but I'm still pleased to see him have one, the end of that race was pure emotion and it's always nice to see that sort of thing from a driver.

Big issue this year was obviously consistency. I think if one driver can sort that out better than the others next year then they'll be well in the running to take the title.

• 3 weeks later...
The Renault car company has sold its remaining shares in the eponymous Formula 1 team, which will be renamed Lotus Renault in 2011.

Renault was left with a 25% shareholding in the team in 2010 after selling the remainder to private investment group Genii Capital.

Those shares have been sold to Genii and will be then taken by Lotus Cars, which is owned by Proton.

The move means there will be two F1 teams in 2011 with Lotus in their name.

The team that competed as Lotus Racing in 2010 will be renamed Team Lotus after buying the historic rights to the name under which Lotus raced from the 1960s until collapsing with financial difficulties in 1994.

Team Lotus boss Tony Fernandes, the owner of the Air Asia airline, is in dispute with Proton over the rights to use the Lotus name in F1.

The cars produced by Lotus Renault will still be called Renaults - changing that would need the permission of all the other F1 teams.

A Renault F1 statement said: "Lotus plc will become a major equity partner of Genii Capital in Lotus Renault GP, and the two parties have concluded a title sponsorship agreement that will run until the end of the 2017 season."

It appears as if both teams plan to run their cars with black and gold liveries, reflecting the historic John Player Special sponsorship of Lotus in the 1970s and 1980s.

Renault's statement said: "For 2011, the Lotus Renault GP cars will race in a new interpretation of the iconic black and gold colours that were last used when Lotus and Renault joined forces in the 1980s.

"This livery, which has been on the drawing board for over two months in order to reinterpret its iconic graphic signature to suit modern media requirements, is sure to strike a powerful chord with the sport's enthusiasts around the world."

Lotus Racing announced its plans to use a black and gold livery at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in November.

Renault's statement continued: "Renault will continue its strong support of the team with which it won the 2005 and 2006 world championships, as a supplier of engines and technological and engineering expertise.

"Reflecting this technological support, Lotus Renault GP will continue to compete with the Renault chassis name and Renault will enjoy pre-eminent brand exposure on the livery."

Proton's decision to buy into the Renault team and promote its Lotus brand is the latest development in ambitious plans for future expansion by Lotus.

At the recent Paris Motor Show, it announced plans to build a number of new road cars and it has also said it will compete at Le Mans and in IndyCar racing in the US.

The chief executive officer of Group Lotus, Dany Bahar, said: "I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing.

"We're well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I'm delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back."

Team Lotus boss Fernandes responded on his page on social network site Twitter : "Dany Bahr has done us a favour. Never felt better about our future and Team Lotus. He added: "Looks like [they're] trying to hijack our black and gold idea." Team Lotus technical officer Mike Gascoyne commented on his Twitter site: "Lotus, just like buses, you wait for ages and then two come along at once. Rest assured, we are Team Lotus and we are here to stay."

Renault's decision to sell its remaining shares in the team ends a 10-year involvement in F1 as a team owner.

The French car company has been a competitor since buying Benetton Formula in 2000 and renaming it Renault for the 2002 season.

_50343967_lotus466.jpg

Source - BBC Sport

Don't like the red at all!

What a mess this whole thing has gotten into!

A Lotus car, with the majority of it's car covered in the Renault name. The Renault name, emblazened all over a team car with which they no longer hold any ownership, only as an engine supplier.

Two Lotus teams in dispute and intending to run the same livery!! that'll be confusing!!

Maybe Team Lotus will revert back to Green and Yellow.

Don't like the red at all!

What a mess this whole thing has gotten into!

A Lotus car, with the majority of it's car covered in the Renault name. The Renault name, emblazened all over a team car with which they no longer hold any ownership, only as an engine supplier.

Two Lotus teams in dispute and intending to run the same livery!! that'll be confusing!!

Maybe Team Lotus will revert back to Green and Yellow.

there's a great blog on BBC about the Lotus Vs Lotus scenario, helps to explain it a little easier too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/12/lotus_v_lotus.html

Still dont get it, So Renault are now going be lotus renault owned by Lotus cars? and Lotus are going to be Lotus owned by Proton?
No, Renault are going to be Lotus Renault, owned by Lotus Racing, who are owned by/part of the Proton group.

Renault now have zero involvement in the team other than as an engine supplier.

Team Lotus (the Lotus that raced in 2010) are Lotus by name only... in that they bought the rights to be able to race with the name Lotus used to race under in F1.

I think! :p

That's pretty much it.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess but I have no doubt it will be sorted out by the start of the new season. Bernie will make them come to some sort of agreement over the naming issues before too long.

Too... many... tracks!...

$150m F1 track proposed for Vietnam

Vietnam could be the next country vying to join the ever-growing Formula One calendar.

Hans Geist, linked in the past with F1 forays in Russia, Austria and Bahrain, has proposed a $150 million project to Vietnam's ministry of planning and investment. The proposal is for a Formula One circuit to be located near Nha Trang Bay in central Khanh Hoa province, according to vietnamvet.vn.

Does... not... want!

Surely not until at least.... what 2016??
Yeah I'd imagine it wouldn't be for quite some time, it would take 2 years to build the thing, let alone all the concepts/planning that goes before it.

As long as the right circuits are made to give way for all these new/proposed circuits I don't mind. But I just wish someone would look into helping out the classic circuits, securing them, as well as looking to bring some circuits back... the ones that actually have the character!

Yeah I'd imagine it wouldn't be for quite some time, it would take 2 years to build the thing, let alone all the concepts/planning that goes before it.

As long as the right circuits are made to give way for all these new/proposed circuits I don't mind. But I just wish someone would look into helping out the classic circuits, securing them, as well as looking to bring some circuits back... the ones that actually have the character!

After a quick look on Wikipedia,

circuits on their last year of use (apparently) in 2011 are Istanbul, Shanghai and Suzuka.

I'd assume that they'll renew the race for Istanbul & Shanghai as they are fairly new tracks.

Drop the Japanese GP when / if Vietnam is built, as they'll have a fair few far east tracks with Shanghai, Malaysia, South Korea. Maybe not renew a Japanese circuit at all after 2011??? Also with the Introduction of India 2011 and USA 2012.... Also... was there a Russian track meant to be brought in.

Fuck me the race Calendar will be huge?

Also, this season German GP was Hockenhimring, in 2011 it's the Nurburgring and then in 2012 going back to Hockenhimring... Random

again all according to Wikipedia.

Yeah the German GP tends to alternate between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring. At one time (probably at the height of Schumy's career, can't remember) there was a race at both, but now they take it in turns. The Nurburgring can throw up some great wet races so it's quite nice to go though, but neither track is what it was.

If Sazuka was ditched I'm sure there'd be quite an uproar from the fans, it's considered one of the best race tracks ever by fans and drivers, but who knows, especially at a time when Japans stake in F1 is at an all time low... thankfully though we have Kobayashi on hand to try and change this. I think F1 will stay in Japan.

China's ok, personally I've never been all that fussed about it, but it's better than many others. Istanbul is pretty great aswell, but both these GP's are majorly suffering from a lack of ticket sales and in the case of Istanbul, it's not even used outside of F1. I think it could be in danger.

I think Valencia's current deal runs out in 2012... and I seriously hope it isn't renewed! Unfortunately if Alonso keeps performing well at Ferrari, it could be set to stay!

Add to the growing list of proposed GP's, a Rome street circuit, a possible return to South Africa... yeah it's getting rediculous! But the calender won't go past 20 races, which is where you have to start worrying for the classics such as Japan/Canada/Australia/Brazil that seem to be in money trouble etc... almost every year!

I'd be pretty disappointed if Brazil & Australia went, really like these circuits. Especially Brazil.

Kobayashi, Will probably follow in Sato's footsteps.... first appearances are exciting, fresh.... but will just never get to the next step. I'd like to see Kobayashi in a more competitive team, He did well with Sauber this season, but a step up to Force India or Williams, could get a better point haulage.

As long as the FIA doesn't go all FIFA on us and start hosting GP's in countries that flash the cash and sticks to tried and tested tracks it'll be okay,

Just money makes the world go around...

Yeah the German GP tends to alternate between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring. At one time (probably at the height of Schumy's career, can't remember) there was a race at both, but now they take it in turns. The Nurburgring can throw up some great wet races so it's quite nice to go though, but neither track is what it was.

If Sazuka was ditched I'm sure there'd be quite an uproar from the fans, it's considered one of the best race tracks ever by fans and drivers, but who knows, especially at a time when Japans stake in F1 is at an all time low... thankfully though we have Kobayashi on hand to try and change this. I think F1 will stay in Japan.

China's ok, personally I've never been all that fussed about it, but it's better than many others. Istanbul is pretty great aswell, but both these GP's are majorly suffering from a lack of ticket sales and in the case of Istanbul, it's not even used outside of F1. I think it could be in danger.

I think Valencia's current deal runs out in 2012... and I seriously hope it isn't renewed! Unfortunately if Alonso keeps performing well at Ferrari, it could be set to stay!

Add to the growing list of proposed GP's, a Rome street circuit, a possible return to South Africa... yeah it's getting rediculous! But the calender won't go past 20 races, which is where you have to start worrying for the classics such as Japan/Canada/Australia/Brazil that seem to be in money trouble etc... almost every year!

They ran the nurburgring as the 'Luxenberg GP' in 1998 (and probs the seasons before and after) to avoid the whole 'cant have 2 GP's in the same place rule), and then it returned as the european venue for a few seasons until we got Valencia.

F1 must stay in Japan imo; their is such a F1 heritage there and the fans love it. I watched a clip of schumacher winning the title their in 2000 and you can tell they really do love their motorsport. On top of that, the track is incredible and probably the racing track in the world. Apparently Honda are looking to get back into F1 as an engine supplier in 2013 with the engine regulations so I can't see us leaving there. Even if Bernie threatens it I'm sure Luca, Martin and the rest of FOTA will have words.

I've got a feeling Turkey will dropped :( It's an incredible race track, probably the best Tilke has designed but it's in the middle of NOWHERE in a country with no F1 heritage. Bin it. China will go too no doubt, they have no interest in F1. I've got a Malaysia might go because a lot of the eastern business guys used to treat it as their Monaco but they've all flocked the Singapore now. That said with Lotus on the grid and Tony Fernades' power i think we'll stay there.

India will make it on the grid. USA and Russia will be given places at the risk of Turkey, China and Valencia (the owners want to sell the race!!). Another one to consider is the old A1 ring in austria; Red Bull now own the track and have brought it up to standards, wouldn't be surprised if we saw a race there.

Ah yes of course, the Nurburgring was the previous 'European GP', how'd I forget!

Yeah I think Turkey and China will probably be the ones to go. Valencia news... RESULT! :D

I think I've said it before but the A1 ring really should make it back, what with Red Bull being world champions now! I'd LOVE it!!

It's understood that Valencia is actually trying to pay Bernie & co to go away, so that's a little more wiggle room there if we assume a 20-race calender is the maximum. Turkey is likely to go in the near future too. China could conceivably slip away any given year but Bernie's so desperate to get in the market there he's paying out of pocket to keep the GP there. Hungary's safe until 2016, while Spa is under constant pressure, irritatingly.

Apparently a 25-race calender after 2012 might be on the table, but that would frankly be goddamn insane.

Edited by gaggle64

25 races a year? Hell no. I think 20 is too much already, it gets to a point where consistancy is the most important thing.

Bring it back to 18 races. It's perfect considering even then you have the occasional shitty race. Gotta say though I'm pleased Hungary is on the calander; i know it's dire for racing BUT it's a great drivers tracks with a decent history. That said i can imagine it being dropped after this contract ends as Russia will get a race...

Oh. Get rid of Monaco. I'm sorry but it's terrible.

Edit. So apparently, Legard has been axed by the Beeb and will be replaced by............

David Coulthard. What the hell, 2 pundits and no lead commentator?! I'm happy Legard is out but hmm..

Edited by Goron_3

The competition winning Team Lotus design that would have been...

LotusT128_EF.png

It looks better than the Lotus Renault, largely due to the lack of Red, but it's no where close to the greatness of the originals (though that's a lot to do with the shape of the modern cars)... I don't really like the Red Bull esque thin stripes.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!