NEurope
ipaul

Marketing and adverts etc

We all know marketing is the worst thing since the Nazis. But which marketing campaigns do people particularly hate? Or which ones do you like?

I hate the Go Compare adverts. But strangely I like the 118-24/7 adverts, they bypass a certain part of my brain and are liked by me for a reason I don't quite know. :p

I love adverts that cover up their evil with cute messages and creativity.

That mobile phone advert for Orange (I think) with the little characters running around making awesome noises comes to mind.

I'm struggling to think of ones I like really...

Ones I hate?

Most of them.

Especially ones for dance music.

Most things that use sex to sell actually.

Oh shiiii, perfume adverts; how could I forget them.

I want to poison anyone who's appeared in one of those ads with the perfume.

I want them to drown in it while screaming to be saved.

...Who cares?...

Advertisers!

...Who cares?...

Oh come on, most of N-E is one big time distraction. I don't care about the day everyone had and i still read it :heh:But to answer properly, me and Wes XD

I like your other threads. Just...this one...adverts....*yawn* :heh:

Abercrombie and Fitch and stuff. Rubs me the wrong way, and only adds to the shitness of their existence. Their overpriced clothing is just adverts for people to wear.

Similar with Jack Wills, but they're nowhere near as bad.

The annual advert thread huh...bit early in the year isn't it?

It's not the classic adverts that blow variety. Give it time.

Worst trend of 2009 (in adverts) was the one for folksy indie pop records set to charming World Of Invention scenarios in which sexy motherfuckers look fantastic and dream up madcap japery, enriching The Lives Of Everyone as they go. The advert is, naturally, about credit cards or something.

Less of that, please.

I HATE HIM WITH A PASSION! The ending makes me cringe! That advert makes me want to punch him. Smug git!

We all know marketing is the worst thing since the Nazis.

That's news to me. I think advertising is fantastic. Most advertising campaigns are extremely clever and well thought out. The best ones have subliminal messages trying to get across the product they're marketing which make you associated with that product.

Using taglines about products too is incredible too... Let's play a game, I'll say the tagline. You say the product:

The Best a man can get.

I'm Lovin' It.

Connecting People

Just Do It

Because I'm Worth It

Have It Your Way

Just think how many of them you know and will associate with the product once you hear it. That's the power of marketing.

Other campaigns which are great which you'll all know are the Cadbury's gorilla one. Everything about it is perfect; the background is purple. Purple = Cadbury's. Makes you wonder what the whole thing is about; gets your attention.

And I feel I just have to mention the best marketing campaign of the decade. The iPod. Just absolutely fantastic in every single way.

Edited by Charlie

The Best a man can get.

I'm Lovin' It.

Connecting People

Just Do It

Because I'm Worth It

Have It Your Way

ReZ's Mum fits nearly all of those ;)

...Who cares?...

Eevilmurray. He seems to LOVE adverts.

Personally I think the advertising industry is a fascinating one. Its full of crap, but fascinating crap nonetheless.

I don't usually watch TV, but very recently I witnessed the aforementioned Go compare commercial, and it was reach for the mute button as if your life depended on it bad.

Vaguely related - Whenever I use a browser without adblock, I always realise how fucking /noisy/ the internet has become, an ad here, a popup there, all kinds of shit.. The newest annoyance now is those stupid popups INSIDE flash applets, like on youtube. Damn them!

That's news to me. I think advertising is fantastic. Most advertising campaigns are extremely clever and well thought out. The best ones have subliminal messages trying to get across the product they're marketing which make you associated with that product.

Using taglines about products too is incredible too... Let's play a game, I'll say the tagline. You say the product:

The Best a man can get.

I'm Lovin' It.

Connecting People

Just Do It

Because I'm Worth It

Have It Your Way

Just think how many of them you know and will associate with the product once you hear it. That's the power of marketing.

Other campaigns which are great which you'll all know are the Cadbury's gorilla one. Everything about it is perfect; the background is purple. Purple = Cadbury's. Makes you wonder what the whole thing is about; gets your attention.

And I feel I just have to mention the best marketing campaign of the decade. The iPod. Just absolutely fantastic in every single way.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I mean I was exaggerating before, but this is why advertising is so frightening; the sheer power of it. I hate the concept of making people feel inferior because they aren't consuming a product. Yet I realise that I am influenced by advertising every day. It's all incredibly clever.

I hate it. But I know it's necessary.

Worst trend of 2009 (in adverts) was the one for folksy indie pop records set to charming World Of Invention scenarios in which sexy motherfuckers look fantastic and dream up madcap japery, enriching The Lives Of Everyone as they go. The advert is, naturally, about credit cards or something.

Less of that, please.

The thing is, Dan, nobody knows what you're talking about.

^ I do.

It's exactly like the current camera (dunno waht brand) one that I see in cinemas all the time. 20-somethings in indie-quirkified clothing galavant around a forest taking photos of each other for no reason, to the tune of a nice folktronica ditty about blackbirds.

^ I do.

It's exactly like the current camera (dunno waht brand) one that I see in cinemas all the time. 20-somethings in indie-quirkified clothing galavant around a forest taking photos of each other for no reason, to the tune of a nice folktronica ditty about blackbirds.

It's obvious in that they're playing a game where you have to take photos of people's faces, and they have to run away. Kinda like a hidenrun type game. Looks pretty fun.

Oh, is it the We know you dont like waiting one where theres lots of cool beautiful people tramping around having fun, being ''who we all want to be''.

It's obvious in that they're playing a game where you have to take photos of people's faces, and they have to run away. Kinda like a hidenrun type game. Looks pretty fun.

Really shite game. You just want a camera/attractive friends, John.

Commercials rarely ever make me go out and buy the product but if i have to sit through one, i at least want to get a laugh out of it

Commercials rarely ever make me go out and buy the product but if i have to sit through one, i at least want to get a laugh out of it

That's a good point; I like funny ones too. The one I like at the moment is that yoghurt one where the guy says at the end "that's MY favourite flavour" and all the girls go "ooooh".