NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

See, I don't understand why it just doesn't get released.

I understand that EA have the Star Wars license but... who cares about that, Disney can overrule it if they want and just see the game released surely?

Who actually owns the rights to it now? Factor 5? Disney? I mean, it can't be that difficult.

Ultimately it's money left on the table and we've had Rogue Squadron released again on the PC, although not an ideal port with that one.

Switch owners would buy a collection of all three Rogue Squadron games instantly, I'd pay £50 for a physical copy without even questioning it.

It just makes too much sense.

Presumably Disney would be the ones who own the rights to the game itself, but EA have the exclusive video game rights to the Star Wars IP right now; so their contract would stipulate that they have full control over the release (or re-release) of any Star Wars game... and lets be honest... they're the very last publisher who would ever allow a game to be released on Switch; let alone a game that people actually want, like Rogue Leaders!

They blocked its release on the Wii U eShop, they'll block it again on Switch :mad:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Presumably Disney would be the ones who own the rights to the game itself, but EA have the exclusive video game rights to the Star Wars IP right now; so their contract would stipulate that they have full control over the release (or re-release) of any Star Wars game... and lets be honest... they're the very last publisher who would ever allow a game to be released on Switch; let alone a game that people actually want, like Rogue Leaders!

They blocked its release on the Wii U eShop, they'll block it again on Switch :mad:

Did EA have anything to do with the re-release of the Super Star Wars, Bounty Hunter or Starfighter on PSN? I'm having a look now and there doesn't seem to be any mention of them having anything to do with these games being available on the PS4. Crazy that they released Super Star Wars on that platform but not on the Switch. It's kinda like the Disney Afternoon Collection fiasco all over again.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did EA have anything to do with the re-release of the Super Star Wars, Bounty Hunter or Starfighter on PSN? I'm having a look now and there doesn't seem to be any mention of them having anything to do with these games being available on the PS4. Crazy that they released Super Star Wars on that platform but not on the Switch. It's kinda like the Disney Afternoon Collection fiasco all over again.

They were indeed responsible for those re-releases; and reaped the revenue share from it.  Super Star Wars in particular was actually a port of the cancelled PC version of the original game and NOT the original SNES version; which EA would otherwise have no rights to.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

They were indeed responsible for those re-releases; and reaped the revenue share from it.  Super Star Wars in particular was actually a port of the cancelled PC version of the original game and NOT the original SNES version; which EA would otherwise have no rights to.

Interesting. I guess that explains why there is no PS4 version of the other 2 games in the trilogy.

US sales data from NPD/ResetEra

Hardware spending in January 2019 declined 28 percent when compared to a year ago, to $199 million. Total hardware dollar sales were the second highest total achieved since the $239 million reached in January 2014.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of January 2019 in both dollar and unit sales. Switch was the only Console platform to show year-on-year sales growth.

Total spending on Accessories and Game Cards fell 12 percent in January 2019 when compared to a year ago, to $267 million. Slight gains in Gamepad spending were offset by declines across other accessory segments and game cards.

The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller was January's best-selling accessory with dollar sales increasing 40 percent when compared to a year ago.

and software wise:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe entered the January charts as the third best-selling game of the month. Launch month dollar sales of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe were more than 30 percent higher than that of New Super Mario Bros. U, which launched on the Wii U in November 2012.

According to NateDrake over on ResetEra (from what I'm reading he's reliable), apparently Xbox Games Pass, xCloud, and at least one game which was due to be Microsoft exclusive (namely Pro), will be coming to the Switch. This follows from the announcement a few weeks ago that Xbox Live was coming to Switch, iOS, and Android, which will be explained further during a panel at GDC next month. 

@Dcubed, if this is true, I think your hopes and expectations for Scalebound being revived (perhaps at Nintendo's request? Could be a cross-platform game with the Xbox One -- now wouldn't that be neat?!) seem to be well-founded. Also, I read your response to me before, and genuinely didn't know much about Scalebound's development and Kamiya's investment in the project beforehand, so thanks for informing me about that :)

That'd be kind of amazing although I'm not really sure how Games Pass would work on the Switch. It would make sense if it was just a streaming client but I didn't think Games Pass had that sort of functionality on other platforms. If they're bringing both Ori games to the Switch though thats good enough for me, have always been interested in playing it but I don't have an Xbox or a very powerful computer so have never been able to play it.

That would be insane if true, but I just wonder, what's in it for Microsoft apart from extra software sales? Game Pass is amazing and you'd think they'd want to make it the (exclusive) reason to get an Xbox.

xCloud could help with some of the more demanding games, and then things like Cuphead and Ori could just run natively.

Would be huge news if it happened.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That would be insane if true, but I just wonder, what's in it for Microsoft apart from extra software sales? Game Pass is amazing and you'd think they'd want to make it the (exclusive) reason to get an Xbox.

Wild guessing here, but I would say that the Switch provides a better opportunity for breaking into the Japanese market.

Microsoft hasn't had much success selling games there. Put some stuff on a console that people actually own and it might be very beneficial.

Also, put a character in Smash, reveal it in a hype way and watch those sales go up.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Interesting rumour. If true it would be a game changer for the industry. 

Both companies would have something to gain from this. Microsoft would get a handheld without having to put in the leg work themselves and Nintendo would get a much stronger line up of games, specifically more mature and realistic titles that they generally don't make themselves.

I wonder if the rumoured Xbox game could be Goldeneye? Remember, that was being totally remade and the Xbox was getting the full remake and Nintendo were just getting the VC port. With Iwata no longer with us ( :( ) there's nobody putting the brakes on this kind of deal now and maybe the remake could be finished and released? Who even holds the rights to Bond games these days? Last I heard it was Activision but that was years ago.

This kind of partnership also bodes well for a N64 Classic. If Nintendo are getting chummy with Microsoft then getting Rare games on the theoretical Classic console should be much easier and would make it a much more appealing product.

Again, interesting rumour and one that probably has Sony a little worried.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Again, interesting rumour and one that probably has Sony a little worried.

Hopefully. 

Sony needs to get out of the little bubble they've created over the past 3-4 years. Yes, they've been hugely successful on their own but it's obvious that the industry and some of its big players are moving closer towards each other. And if Sony won't join in...well, they have a lot to lose.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

xCloud could help with some of the more demanding games, and then things like Cuphead and Ori could just run natively.

Would be huge news if it happened.

To add to @Glen-i's point about Xbox wanting a way to break into Japan, they seem like the only one of the Big Three ready to dive head first into an all-digital future. It drastically cuts costs across the board for Xbox if they transition from being a console maker to a service provider, and if what NateDrake says is true about streaming a game like Forza to a smartphone, then Xbox stand to both revolutionise the gaming market and lend a hand to a potentially atypical growth spurt for the gaming industry. As of last year, there were over two billion gamers worldwide, with over one billion of those playing games on PC, and a recent forecast predicted that the number of gamers would double by 2030; this turn of events -- Game Pass is likely not only coming to Switch, but iOS and Android devices too -- could easily accelerate that, as Game Pass would be able to reach audiences that it simply couldn't before, as modern gaming (up to this point) has still very much been a first world luxury. 

It goes well beyond extra software sales in that regard: like Netflix and other successful streaming platforms, Xbox wants you to buy into their ecosystem, whether that be by picking up an Xbox console, playing on your PC, and now supposedly your Switch and phone. I think that this is a natural progression of their Play Anywhere initiative, and I look forward to seeing if there any truth to this in their panel at GDC next month. 

This can only be a good thing for gamers: a rising tide lifts all boats, after all, so hopefully this lights a fire under the butts of those over at PlayStation :D

Game Informer's Imran Kahn seems to be backing this up, too. In an article he wrote for GI:

In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year.

More Microsoft rumours.

- Nintendo and Microsoft had several meetings in Redmond regarding their upcoming partnership

- They confirm Ori and the Blind Forest will come on the Switch, but Cuphead as well

- More than 100 Xbox games will be available on Switch via Gamepass and/or X Cloud ( before the end of the year )

- Rare games could also come to the Switch. No details, but jeuxvideo.com believes Rare Replay could be a good candidate.

- No mention of Scalebound during their investigation

- Their sources refuses to say if Nintendo games could end up on Microsoft platforms

- A high profile Microsoft franchise ( Halo, Forza or Gears ) could come on the Nintendo Switch. However, they don’t know in what capacity ( 360 port ? Xbox One game ? ). This is still under discussion between Microsoft and Nintendo.

• Thanks 2

Crazy stuff.

I wonder how all this stuff will be announced, if it'll be at a (Xbox?) press conference or just a slow trickle of news. If it's the former, the perfect time would be the one E3 where Sony is a no-show.

Edited by Ronnie

It seems like its all heavily in favour of Nintendo, I don't see what Microsoft get out of it beyond the potential for breaking into the Japanese market - there must be something else that Nintendo are bringing to the table for Microsoft. Ori, Rare Replay and Cuphead are basically the only reasons I want to get an Xbox so if all of them come to the Switch then Microsoft are giving me even less reason to invest in their console, but I suppose that means they'll be getting £100 more out of me by buying those games than they would have if they hadn't brought them over to the Switch. 

This is all very strange and exciting. Has the potential to completely change the industry.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Crazy stuff.

I wonder how all this stuff will be announced, if it'll be at a (Xbox?) press conference or just a slow trickle of news. If it's the former, the perfect time would be the one E3 where Sony is a no-show.

I mean, there was news going around earlier this month that Xbox will be present at GDC next month to announce Xbox Live integration for iOS and Android devices, as well as the Switch, bringing with it a slew of features, like cross-platform achievements, friends lists, etc. This is what the original GDC listing has Microsoft saying:

Xbox Live is expanding from 400 million gaming devices and a reach to over 68 million active players to over 2 billion devices with the release of our new cross-platform XDK.

Such an announcement next month would seem like the perfect one to cement this possibility in people's minds, foreshadowing a potential grand reveal of Xbox Game Pass coming to Switch at E3. I agree with you that E3 makes the most sense -- especially moreso now that PlayStation won't be there, but I think that, if this is true, this would have greatly overshadowed any and all E3 announcements, even if they were present.

Maybe Nintendo will do a Yamauchi again. Doug Bowser gets up on stage, Microsoft waiting behind the curtain for the big reveal, and at the last minute Nintendo announces.... they're partnering with Google!

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It seems like its all heavily in favour of Nintendo, I don't see what Microsoft get out of it beyond the potential for breaking into the Japanese market - there must be something else that Nintendo are bringing to the table for Microsoft. 

I mean, the gaming handheld market is non-existent outside of Nintendo, and the Switch is competent as both a handheld and home console device. Many gamers have a Switch as their primary console, if not as a supplementary one to their PS4 or Xbox One, and the Switch will very likely be the first console for a new generation of gamers in the same way that the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS and 3DS were, so it only makes sense for Xbox to go after the mindshare of the younger gaming demographic. 

I doubt Japan is even on their mind with a move like this -- it's probably a genuine afterthought. Could it help them break into Japan? Sure, but there's no way that's the goal with an initiative like this, especially seeing as the reports are saying that they're taking aim at the smartphone market, too. I think that a service like this, if done right, gives Xbox the edge as we look ahead to the future: it's a very, very aggressive way of putting themselves out there as the go-to for streaming games, in the same way that Netflix is seen as the go-to for streaming shows and movies, it secures them a piece of the market without having to focus on the hardware as much as PlayStation and Nintendo do now. It's a long-term payoff. 

I have my doubts that PlayStation and Nintendo are looking this far ahead. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think that a service like this, if done right, gives Xbox the edge as we look ahead to the future: it's a very, very aggressive way of putting themselves out there as the go-to for streaming games, in the same way that Netflix is seen as the go-to for streaming shows and movies, it secures them a piece of the market without having to focus on the hardware as much as PlayStation and Nintendo do now. It's a long-term payoff. 

Yup. Microsoft have been playing the long game for the best part of this generation. Things like Gamepass, backwards compatibility and buying up studios are all long term initiatives that could pay off handsomely further down the line.

Months ago on an episode of Sacred Symbols Colin said that something like this may be on the cards. A discussion came about on how Sony need to watch themselves going into the next generation and be very wary of Microsoft lining up all of their ducks in a row. He said that Microsoft and Nintendo seemed far too chummy at the time of the podcast ( can't remember when it was ) and that he thought that there was something more going on than simply having things like the crossplay Minecraft promotion. 

I'm really hoping a lot of this is true. It will certainly make things very interesting come the next generation.

41 minutes ago, Julius said:

I agree.

I know Furukawa mentioned adapting to changing circumstances and being fluid with how the industry moves (I'm paraphrasing), but I genuinely think Nintendo would be quite happy to keep pushing out hardware even if the rest of the industry has gone all in on streaming. It might be an option but I still think they consider themselves a toy maker.

Interesting times for sure.

This is over on Windows Central.

I've been hearing for almost a year that Microsoft was aiming to put Xbox Game Pass on Nintendo Switch, and even PlayStation 4, though at first, I didn't fully believe what I was hearing. At a surface-level, why would Microsoft want to reduce its own console business by removing the need to buy Xbox hardware to play Xbox games? Well, Microsoft has already committed to putting Xbox exclusives on PC, and despite that, Xbox hardware sales have continued to trend upwards, because Xbox One X is truly the best place to play many of those big-name multiplatform titles in 4K.

Interesting. I wonder if that is still the plan, Microsoft changed their minds or Sony declined? This rumour just keeps getting crazier.