NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

So, I guess a Direct ain't happening this week? Usually they have dropped by now, right? 

It's possible that they could have delayed it slightly, previous directs have aired at late at 11pm our time, but it seems unlikely. 

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So, I guess a Direct ain't happening this week? Usually they have dropped by now, right? 

Certainly seems that way.

If the plan was for a Partner Showcase, I wonder if things had to be reshuffled following Xbox, well, needing to reshuffle themselves: either expecting a megaton from them (games coming to everything, everywhere, all at once) or just not having the material ready for Nintendo to show off if they were to, well, show things off.

If Xbox stuff was going to show up in the Direct then I guess it makes sense that we'd need the Xbox showing out of the way first, and I can't imagine Nintendo - who actually can communicate well with their customers - leaving it to be announced and presented within a matter of hours.

And hell, I'd bet on a shadow dropped video from Nintendo over that happening; it is worth bearing in mind that we have had shadow dropped Partner Showcases before (though I think the last one was in 2020? I'd need to check). Nintendo aren't against shadow dropping megatons themselves with little lead-up, and it's also the exact opposite of what Xbox would do, so that's definitely the smarter way to handle it :p

Am I expecting it? Absolutely not. But if it is relying on Xbox news, I mean...maybe? An 23:00 shadow drop with no preamble would be very weird, but then, if there's any truth to these Xbox rumours that we're getting and we get confirmation on some of it tonight, strange things are happening:

(sorry it felt obligatory)

6 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It's possible that they could have delayed it slightly, previous directs have aired at late at 11pm our time, but it seems unlikely. 

Yeah, it is exceptionally rare that we get an 23:00 GMT showing (considering most of Europe would be asleep at that time), so I'm not going to hold out hope. 

But then, we all know Xbox doesn't do great numbers over here or in Japan - so would Xbox stuff news coming to Nintendo Switch be bigger news best served and directed squarely at the US, with an appropriate time to boot? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff Grubb did tweet yesterday that he has heard they could have postponed it slightly because of the Xbox announcement - kind of like when they held off on a direct when the Queen died. I'm not convinced they would let another publisher dictate their schedule but Grubb is obviously a reputable reporter so there could be some truth to it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Jeff Grubb did tweet yesterday that he has heard they could have postponed it slightly because of the Xbox announcement - kind of like when they held off on a direct when the Queen died. I'm not convinced they would let another publisher dictate their schedule but Grubb is obviously a reputable reporter so there could be some truth to it

So I've got a bit of a hot take on this, but I actually think it's a prime example of Grubb as a source of Nintendo "inside info", because I've found he's pretty good with everyone when it comes to rumours becoming tangible...outside of Nintendo. 

I think what's he's good at is trying to parse through current speculation and generally makes good educated guesses about what's going on; he might have a legitimate source or two, but they're certainly not at Nintendo, based on how hit and miss he's proven over the years. And I think this is one of those times where him not taking a better educated stab at what's going on here also makes it far less credible that he actually knows anything. 

Here's the actual tweet:

Look, Nintendo could totally delay an event based on Xbox's business update tonight...but history shows they wouldn't, and it certainly doesn't suggest that such a delay would leak out ahead of time. Hell, we've had Nintendo and PlayStation events held on the same night before, and PlayStation are *actually* good at selling consoles and making games that sell those consoles (I'm sorry Xbox but yes that's a stray you're going to just need to catch and accept at this point), so from a marketing showdown POV, they actually pose a threat.

"I heard", "they were discussing", it sounds like a total load of handwaving and face pulling when you consider that the only reason that Nintendo would move for Xbox giving a business update on a podcast - which by the way, can I just say, isn't even pinned on their X, formerly known as Twitter, account! In case I needed to highlight once again that they are hilariously bad at this marketing stuff - is because Nintendo's actual content plans have had to change as a result, like I said before, whether it be because they've had material get prepped for the potential introduction of Xbox games to the platform which isn't ready (this Xbox announcement was apparently planned originally for some time in spring) or because, well, it's Xbox's announcement, and not Nintendo's? So if there's Xbox news in the Direct relating to the Xbox announcement they obviously can't jump the gun? 

Obviously those are just educated guesses on my part, but then, wouldn't a legitimate Nintendo source suggest the exact same sort of thing, whether they know for a fact or by taking an educated guess themselves? That Nintendo are thinking of moving more explicitly because of related Xbox content potentially turning up? I also always find it weird when someone like Grubb doesn't share their actual take on the apparent leak, too. 

I mean, Nintendo delayed the Direct when the Queen passed away for the exact same reasons PlayStation delayed their PS5-unveiling Showcase in June 2020 (George Floyd and BLM): it would be in incredibly poor taste to do otherwise. This is Xbox we're talking about. It's being announced on a podcast for crying out loud. Even they don't seem to care all that much, so at face value, no, I refuse to believe that Nintendo are reacting to Xbox making an announcement on their future in a podcast; I do think that if it has been delayed (if it actually exists), it's because they want to do some cross-promo stuff in said Direct which will back up Xbox's news that can only work after the announcement has been made. 

I'll end there because I sound like I'm giving the sky a good old fist-shake...

simpsons-shake.gif

...but man am I starting to get so tired of "insiders". I've said it before, but I'm already sick and tired of the Switch 2 news cycle, too ::shrug: is this newfound wisdom in my old age or am I just getting cranky? :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I love the news is that they’ve delayed something they haven’t even announced yet.  I also think it’s a great cop out for a leaker to say something had been delayed when they’re proven to be wrong…

Ok so that’s me being cynical as I appreciate Jeff does seem to have a lot of reputable contacts (‘reputable’ meaning they’ll tell him secrets so that term seems a bit contradictory to me!), so it’s possible this has all happened.

Pyoro is saying that the Partner Showcase lives, and that it's coming next week. 

And thus the cycle continues. 

(at least it's actually someone with a pretty bang-on history with Nintendo stuff this time around)

• Like 1

That means it's going to be a banger - flaming Chibi Robo to make his triumphant return

• Haha 2

Rumours have started circulating that the Switch 2 (or whatever its gonna be called) won't launch until Q1 2025.

If true, Nintendo going for the kill on those PS2 lifetime numbers. :D

• Like 1

To be honest there isn't much difference to me between Nov '24 and early '25 so I don't think I would be too bothered. 

If it is true though then Nintendo will have to announce some games pretty soon, their release calendar is looking pretty light for the rest of the year

• Like 1

Rumour is gaining some traction.

If true, I wonder if things like Twilight Princess/Wind Waker HD and Metroid Prime 2 and 3 will make an appearance at the end of the year. Both have been rumoured for a while now. Speaking of rumoured games, there's also that Fire Emblem remake that has been finished for a long time now and just been sat waiting to be released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Rumours have started circulating that the Switch 2 (or whatever its gonna be called) won't launch until Q1 2025.

Man, I'd love a Switch 2 this year, but I'm not exactly short on Switch games to catch up on... I actually wrote a list out the other day of Switch games I'd want to get to picking up, just with things potentially starting to slow down and the increased risk of games leaving the shelves, and it was a *long* list. Enough for me to question my commitment to a Switch 2...for, like, a millisecond :D

If it is Q1, going to be interesting to see how it's marketed, because announcing in October for a potential Match release in line with the current Switch could eat into it's Christmas sales a bit and make things confusing.

To avoid this, I would love to see - and think Nintendo could absolutely pull off - an incredibly quick turnaround of reveal start of Jan, big presentation by end of Jan, release by end of March. If there's nothing drastically different to the Switch 2 other than more power, more screen, more games? You really could pull off a 2/3 month turnaround. 

Not saying that they would do that for sure, because there'd certainly be obstacles and reasons not to, but damn, I'd love to see them try. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If true, Nintendo going for the kill on those PS2 lifetime numbers. :D

Honestly? I'd respect Nintendo so much if this was one of the reasons for a delay :D I love following the sales of consoles, so to see the PS2 and DS surpassed would be amazing, and I mean, why not? Hell, if they want to be really bold about it they could totally finally slash the price of the Switch or make even bigger and better bundles. 

32 minutes ago, killthenet said:

If it is true though then Nintendo will have to announce some games pretty soon, their release calendar is looking pretty light for the rest of the year

It's a weird one where no-one really has games lined up this year, but I'm sure Nintendo will pull through. Like @Hero-of-Time has said they seem to have some things held back for a period where things might be up in the air a bit just like this is sounding like. 

Also, I know the FE4 remake is next, but with how many of the big first-party GC games might be on Switch by the end of this year, can we please get to Path of Radiance at some point already?! Please?!?!

Oh and maybe consider a Switch version of Luigi's Mansion, too, because having Dark Moon and 3 both on Switch but not the first is going to drive me insane :laughing:

VGC also jumping on the Q4 2024 to Q1 2025 bandwagon, saying that Nintendo have informed third-party publishers of the same. 

What an interesting couple of days of news! 

• Thanks 2

Yeah, this is starting to look legit now.

On 01/01/2024 at 10:25 AM, Dcubed said:

Switch 2 is finally coming out this year! I can feel it! Yup! Definitely this time!

On 01/01/2024 at 11:05 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

mxtQJm9DeRvNS7MKS2oaQqZ7cIQ=.gif

I warned ya. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Julius said:

To avoid this, I would love to see - and think Nintendo could absolutely pull off - an incredibly quick turnaround of reveal start of Jan, big presentation by end of Jan, release by end of March. If there's nothing drastically different to the Switch 2 other than more power, more screen, more games? You really could pull off a 2/3 month turnaround. 

They could pull it off because they already did with the Switch. Announced in January, released in March. 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

They could pull it off because they already did with the Switch. Announced in January, released in March. 

It was six months from reveal to launch last time around, we got that initial Switch reveal trailer in October :p the release date wasn't announced until January in the Switch Presentation though, if that's what you mean? 

• Thanks 1

A reveal of Switch 2 along with a price cut on Switch would be viable and may sustain Switch sales through the year but I struggle to see how they would release enough new games for old Switch gamers to be satisfied. 

I have a backlog and would still buy some games even if Switch 2 was around the corner, though. 

6 hours ago, Julius said:

It was six months from reveal to launch last time around, we got that initial Switch reveal trailer in October :p the release date wasn't announced until January in the Switch Presentation though, if that's what you mean? 

That is in fairness. I forgot it was announced earlier. I was thinking of the proper reveal alongside the road show stuff in January. My bad. 

On 15/02/2024 at 1:09 PM, Josh64 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Hefty download, this one. Had to go through and find some previous game trials to archive and the odd demo, such as Pikmin 4 that I haven't got around to trying. At around an hour, the time to download will trounce the time I spend on a couple of FC24 exhibition matches.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Thanks for the heads up. Hefty download, this one. Had to go through and find some previous game trials to archive and the odd demo, such as Pikmin 4 that I haven't got around to trying. At around an hour, the time to download will trounce the time I spend on a couple of FC24 exhibition matches.

Yeah it's tragic how large some of the third party games are now! Shows how far into the Switch life we are when a single game is the entire storage of an OG system lol

Does anyone know if there are any out of print first party Switch games? Arms is one that I think might take a little bit of looking to get new, certainly beyond the usual Amazon and Argos sites. 

I'm just wondering if games like that could end up in a Player's Choice if the Switch 2 isn't gonna be around in the next year or so 

4 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Does anyone know if there are any out of print first party Switch games? Arms is one that I think might take a little bit of looking to get new, certainly beyond the usual Amazon and Argos sites. 

I'm just wondering if games like that could end up in a Player's Choice if the Switch 2 isn't gonna be around in the next year or so 

Some of the Xenoblade games were for a while.

I can't see a budget range appearing. Things like Greatest Hits/Platinum/Players Choice ranges don't seem to be a thing anymore. Just as well because those boxes were always hideous. :D

21 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Or at least some complete editions, like Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 and the Splatoon games.

• Like 1

Did a practice match in FC24. It gave me four objectives like complete a certain number of shots and passes. Wee buns. Except the thing was I registered 0/15 sprints. It tells you the buttons on screen but nothing I did counted as a sprint. Even after I went in and checked the buttons, changed to alternative style and manually swapped around the function of the shoulder buttons: zero sprints. Weird one. Not a very satisfying game at first blush but I reckon with time I could get used to how it wants the beautiful game to be played. At full time it said I should play on world class difficulty. Yeah, right.