NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Radical Dreamers is good though!

I bet he didn't even play it!

On 14/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, Happenstance said:

Grabbed some more games in todays eshop sale:

Final Fantasy VII (Apparently I just like to own this everywhere)
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Into the Breach
Vampire Survivors (Doesn't feel like a handheld without this so another double dip)
Chrono Cross

This any use? I consider getting it now and again.

15 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

This any use? I consider getting it now and again.

I haven't started it yet but when it first came out I heard nothing but high praise and I loved FTL which they did prior to it.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I did not.

Why even buy the collection then!?

It's an interesting look into what could've been.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Why even buy the collection then!?

It's an interesting look into what could've been.

To play Chrono Cross. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I did not.

You really should.  Radical Dreamers is legit.  Way more fun than Chrono Cross!

I mean... it's a survival horror text adventure! It's rad as hell! :D And very unique, even 26 years on from its original release.

It's also like 2 hours your first time through, it's not a long game.

Edited by Dcubed

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

You really should.  Radical Dreamers is legit.  Way more fun than Chrono Cross!

I mean... it's a survival horror text adventure! It's rad as hell! :D And very unique, even 26 years on from its original release.

It's also like 2 hours your first time through, it's not a long game.

Are you trying to get me to play it? If so you're going about it the wrong way. :D

Nah, I have zero interest in it. 

• Thanks 1

Finally managed to catch the 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller during one of it's discounts so got that coming today now as well. I was using the 8bitdo Pro 2 which worked perfectly fine but it will be nice to be able to turn the Switch on while docked with this controller. I've been meaning to get one for a while.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Finally managed to catch the 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller during one of it's discounts so got that coming today now as well. I was using the 8bitdo Pro 2 which worked perfectly fine but it will be nice to be able to turn the Switch on while docked with this controller. I've been meaning to get one for a while.

Nice choice. I've had an SN30 pro+ for several years now. It feels good with the retro games and comes in handy for multiplayer since the joysticks don't drift like on the joy-cons.

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Finally managed to catch the 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller during one of its discounts so got that coming today now as well. I was using the 8bitdo Pro 2 which worked perfectly fine but it will be nice to be able to turn the Switch on while docked with this controller. I've been meaning to get one for a while.

Good purchase.  It’s a solid controller.  A friend of mine has one of them and he swears by it.

Edited by Dcubed

Well my plans to start another RPG have not gone well. Decided to go with Saga Frontiers as it's short then it just seemed to run terribly. One of those older games where if you use the run button your character shoots across the screen with very little control and it didn't look great either so I've dropped that one. Went with Chrono Cross next and now the slowness of everything is getting to me :laughing:

I think I might just have to go with something more modern.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think I might just have to go with something more modern.

Whats on the list?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Whats on the list?

I'm thinking maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 3. There's always Sea of Stars as I never bought that on another platform yet I guess and possibly that Star Ocean The Second Story R I loved the look of but wasn't convinced by the combat in the demo.

Star Ocean: First Departure R is currently a fiver on the eShop.

Xenoblade 3 is awesome. Its probably my fav of the entire series. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Star Ocean: First Departure R is currently a fiver on the eShop.

Yeah I like the look of the first one a lot less. The new style for Second Story R is the big draw for me.

20 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I'm thinking maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 3. There's always Sea of Stars as I never bought that on another platform yet I guess and possibly that Star Ocean The Second Story R I loved the look of but wasn't convinced by the combat in the demo.

You know Xenoblade 3 is good, because both @Hero-of-Time and I love it!

It's a massive time sink though, so be prepared for that.

• Haha 1

I was going to try and buy it in town yesterday but it's a lot harder to buy games there than it used to be so no luck. I'll just order it online later. 

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I was going to try and buy it in town yesterday but it's a lot harder to buy games there than it used to be so no luck. I'll just order it online later. 

I think GAME is the cheapest option at the moment at £30.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think GAME is the cheapest option at the moment at £30.

Yeah that was why I was hoping it would be the same in-store. Game now charge something like £4.99 shipping though I think so it doesn't work out any cheaper than if I use one of the quicker places. 

Now I guess my final question for you guys is, should I be going back and playing 1 and 2 first? I've read that its perfectly fine to start with 3 and how it's the best one and there are no issues with story but as a lore guy, should I really be seeing this world from the very beginning?

I have tried 1 before (I think I still own that Wii version with the red controller somewhere) and didn't necessarily get hooked enough to carry on past the first hour but I think it's possible.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Now I guess my final question for you guys is, should I be going back and playing 1 and 2 first? I've read that its perfectly fine to start with 3 and how it's the best one and there are no issues with story but as a lore guy, should I really be seeing this world from the very beginning?

I have tried 1 before (I think I still own that Wii version with the red controller somewhere) and didn't necessarily get hooked enough to carry on past the first hour but I think it's possible.

Given the time sink that would be playing both these games before the third, it would be best to just watch a recap video instead. Sure, you could play it as a standalone title but there are lots of ties with the other games.

I played the first 2 games but still wanted a refresher before playing XC3 and so watched this to get me up to speed again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Great question and one I've looked into. They've said 3 is standalone with only thematic consistency, far as I remember. However I price check 2 from time to time rather than jump straight to 3. ::shrug: 

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 just arrived so I've started it. Sad to say I hate it already. I swear this was supposed to be a farming simulator but all I've seen so far is fighting!