NEurope

Just went to the gym and, my god, I was so close to dropping the very last rep on my head.

Good workout.

Sweat dries pretty quickly. Just point a fan at yourself.

Or, more sensibly, shower in a can, wet wipes, sponge yourself down with water from the toilet sinks, change of clothes, ride bareback, etc

HeatTec from UniQlo is excellent to wear. Sweat dries really quickly, it has this anti-smell and it is amazing at regulating temperature. Just wear it under whatever.

So... yep, I'm now an official member of the gym brigade.

I went last week with my mates to see what it was like (and how unfit I am) and having gone yesterday, I signed up.

With it being month end, they always seem to try and get as many people in so the numbers look good. And since they've either normally met the their targets and can start to give better rates or they are behind target and will do anything to get you to sign, they had banners up concerning their great rates for this weekend only.

So when I said to the guy I'm thinking of joining, I asked him what sort of rate we were looking at - his reply, £23.95pm all in. Now given the normally rate is £26.95, that might not seem too bad but the two guys I was there with pay less than that.

So I told him that I'd feel a bit silly signing up at that rate when I know they can do better and told him that I'd only sign if he matched what one of the guys were paying - otherwise, no deal. After having spoke to his manager, he came back saying he can do the lower rate which was £19.95 all in.

I had been looking at the college gym given I suspect I could get a decent rate but the opening hours weren't too good.

Good Work, Falcccccoooon PUNNNNCH!

So, in the end, I have joined Bannatynes. Went for a little look at it the other day, and it's quite similar to the gym I have been going to in some ways, and in respects it is better. I also like the fact that there's a pool there. :)

It takes around 15/20 minutes to walk there, and it is just over a tenner a month more than what I was paying for the other one. But, seeing as that is closing and seeing as the other one requires you to be 8 feet tall, taking steroids by the hour and benching houses to fit in there, I think I'll be enjoying this one a bit more.

Good Work, Falcccccoooon PUNNNNCH!

So, in the end, I have joined Bannatynes. Went for a little look at it the other day, and it's quite similar to the gym I have been going to in some ways, and in respects it is better. I also like the fact that there's a pool there. :)

It takes around 15/20 minutes to walk there, and it is just over a tenner a month more than what I was paying for the other one. But, seeing as that is closing and seeing as the other one requires you to be 8 feet tall, taking steroids by the hour and benching houses to fit in there, I think I'll be enjoying this one a bit more.

looks like you made the right decision then flinkeh! All the more reason to get a car now ;)

@falcon - nice bartering there, they obviously value numbers more than a bit of a loss of money then! =P

I've been considering joining a gym.. the one i really like is in the middle of town and its annoying to get parked at, meaning i have to park a good bit away and walk through the town late night... Hm.

looks like you made the right decision then flinkeh! All the more reason to get a car now ;)

@falcon - nice bartering there, they obviously value numbers more than a bit of a loss of money then! =P

I've been considering joining a gym.. the one i really like is in the middle of town and its annoying to get parked at, meaning i have to park a good bit away and walk through the town late night... Hm.

The car would be a really great idea, haha. It takes around 20 mins to walk to the train station each day, then up to an hour actually on the trains and wait times, then a little walk from the train station to work on the other side. Plus, if I'm going to the gym too, then...that's around 3 hours + a day that is wasted on travel to gym and work. I only actually need a third of that time in the car. o_O So, I could do with one, but can't afford eet, haha.

Do they have a car park at that gym? How far is it from the gym to where you park the car?

The car would be a really great idea, haha. It takes around 20 mins to walk to the train station each day, then up to an hour actually on the trains and wait times, then a little walk from the train station to work on the other side. Plus, if I'm going to the gym too, then...that's around 3 hours + a day that is wasted on travel to gym and work. I only actually need a third of that time in the car. o_O So, I could do with one, but can't afford eet, haha.

Do they have a car park at that gym? How far is it from the gym to where you park the car?

yeah cars are pretty expensive, I only had the money cause I didn't go to uni so I can understand your situation. Hopefully your parents pull their finger out of their bum and help :P

its in the middle of the town, no parking (well there is but its half an hour only parking - £60 fine :P) and the nearest carpark that's open is a good bit away (like in the outer parts of the town) not an especially long walk but its the fact that i'd be going after work, and it would be late by the time i'm getting out. Not amazingly safe in dark, quiet streets in ballymena.

I've had a look and i *think* there's another gym (curves) but i don't know if its still open. I'll continue my research... and post when I finally decide :P

Im so in to the gym at the moment that i have really missed it over the weekend. Cant wait to go again tonight. Bring on the DOMS tomorrow. :)

Went from being able to do 10 push ups, to being able to do 20 push ups in a row. :)

Went from being able to do 10 push ups, to being able to do 20 push ups in a row. :)

Good work! That's the same as a press up right? I doubt I can do any real press ups.

I've gone from 20 mins to half an hour on the cross trainer ala fat burn setting, yay.

yeah cars are pretty expensive, I only had the money cause I didn't go to uni so I can understand your situation. Hopefully your parents pull their finger out of their bum and help :P

its in the middle of the town, no parking (well there is but its half an hour only parking - £60 fine :P) and the nearest carpark that's open is a good bit away (like in the outer parts of the town) not an especially long walk but its the fact that i'd be going after work, and it would be late by the time i'm getting out. Not amazingly safe in dark, quiet streets in ballymena.

I've had a look and i *think* there's another gym (curves) but i don't know if its still open. I'll continue my research... and post when I finally decide :P

wait what? what carpark are you thinkin of? and its not half hour silly.. thats only mon-sat 9-5 so if you go outside those times!

plus the tower centre car park (outside) is always happen so you could use that

Today was my last day at my local gym, and the session went quite ok, I think. I do actually feel a bit stronger every time I go now, and I'm finding my rhythm again. I'm really enjoying my back workout days, and maybe I'll be able to get that broad back/christmas tree look eventually, hehe.

A question for the gyms who use the lateral pulldown machine:

lat-pull-dawn-new_250x250.jpg

Where do you tend to position your hands? I've seen guys position their hands quite narrow on the bar, or on the angled bit right on the end of the bar, or actually that part where the angle meets the rest of the bar. For me, I try to keep them about shoulder width away, but I do occassionally mix it in by positioning them on the angled parts. The little demonstration cartoon next to the machine suggests they should be shoulder width apart, so that's what I go for.

Depends what you're working. If you're bringing it infront of your face, you'll want them narrow, if you're bringing it behind, you'll want a wide grip.

Depends what you're working. If you're bringing it infront of your face, you'll want them narrow, if you're bringing it behind, you'll want a wide grip.

Cheers. Although, I've been warned against doing it behind the neck, since you'll be putting unneccessary stress on the shoulders or could cause injury to your neck. Quite a lot of people manage to do them that way and have no complaints, but then just generally browsing the web many seem to warn against doing that.

I'll experiment a bit more, but I just generally find the grip where its a bit narrower (not on the angled parts) a bit more natural a movement.

So... yep, I'm now an official member of the gym brigade.

I went last week with my mates to see what it was like (and how unfit I am) and having gone yesterday, I signed up.

With it being month end, they always seem to try and get as many people in so the numbers look good. And since they've either normally met the their targets and can start to give better rates or they are behind target and will do anything to get you to sign, they had banners up concerning their great rates for this weekend only.

So when I said to the guy I'm thinking of joining, I asked him what sort of rate we were looking at - his reply, £23.95pm all in. Now given the normally rate is £26.95, that might not seem too bad but the two guys I was there with pay less than that.

So I told him that I'd feel a bit silly signing up at that rate when I know they can do better and told him that I'd only sign if he matched what one of the guys were paying - otherwise, no deal. After having spoke to his manager, he came back saying he can do the lower rate which was £19.95 all in.

I had been looking at the college gym given I suspect I could get a decent rate but the opening hours weren't too good.

I haven't read any other posts so I might be late to the party, but I think paying that much for a gym membership is too much. I pay around 300 pounds for a 3-month membership (that's about £33). I could also use the university gym for free, and they're open from 8 AM to 9 PM.

I haven't read any other posts so I might be late to the party, but I think paying that much for a gym membership is too much. I pay around 300 pounds for a 3-month membership (that's about £33). I could also use the university gym for free, and they're open from 8 AM to 9 PM.

You go to University in an entirely different country, though. Granted, it may seem expensive to you, but I think paying just under 20 quid a month is not bad at all.

If I read your post right, you would have to be very, very lucky to pay £33 for three months for a gym membership. 11 quid a month for the gym? Yes bluddy please. I doubt there's anyone else here who pays close to that.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

How do I make the underside of my arms (triceps?) bigger?

Like, my biceps are a satisfactory size, but the rest of my arms are feeble in comparison. I need to make them more muscly all over. What's the best way to do that?

You go to University in an entirely different country, though. Granted, it may seem expensive to you, but I think paying just under 20 quid a month is not bad at all.

Yeah, but my university is pretty much in par with what your end of the world has to offer in terms of education, so I thought you'd be pretty much getting the same privileges I would.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99283&id=21479670294#/album.php?page=1&aid=99283&id=21479670294

11 quid a month for the gym? Yes bluddy please. I doubt there's anyone else here who pays close to that.

Over here we pay just as much money for a month's worth of Blackberry Mobile Messenger usage. A friend of mine tells me you pay around 17-20 for that kind of service.

There's also this plan where you pay 300 pounds a month (the same 32 quid) and you can call anyone for as much/long as you please. No credit refills, no bills, just one monthly payment.

Dedicate an entire workout for them? My left bicep used to be slightly smaller than my right one, and to balance them out I'd give my left bicep two extra sets alone. Maybe that could work with your triceps.

I don't know about you, but in my country everyone puts their workouts into 3 different categories: bench & biceps, back & triceps, shoulders & legs. You work out one of those groups everyday using all the machines available in the gym, and you finish them off with 6 sets of whatever abdominal exercise you prefer.

Dedicate an entire workout for them? My left bicep used to be slightly smaller than my right one, and to balance them out I'd give my left bicep two extra sets alone. Maybe that could work with your triceps.

I don't know about you, but in my country everyone puts their workouts into 3 different categories: bench & biceps, back & triceps, shoulders & legs. You work out one of those groups everyday using all the machines available in the gym, and you finish them off with 6 sets of whatever abdominal exercise you prefer.

Which exercises should I do though?

Like, my biceps are a satisfactory size, but the rest of my arms are feeble in comparison. I need to make them more muscly all over. What's the best way to do that?

Triceps make up a significant portion of your arms, so I try and pay quite a bit of attention to them. :)

First off, nice and simple, you have the Dips:

Tricep Dips

A very lovely exercise which I get a great deal of satisfaction from.

Secondly, you have Tricep Barbell/Dumbell extensions:

Extensions

You can perform this either with a barbell or with dumbells. I love it and it really hits the spot for me.

Thirdly, you have Seated Tricep Extensions:

Seated Extensions

Quite similar to the dumbell extensions. A little variation for you.

Lastly, Tricep pulldowns:

pushdown.jpg

"Attach a bar to an overhead pulley. Stand in front of the pulley with your feet shoulder width apart. Grab the bar with a narrow overhand grip. Bend your arms fully and tuck your elbows close to your sides at all times during the exercise.

Moving just your forearms push the bar down in an arc motion until your arms are straight. Hold this position and squeeze your triceps for a second to maximize the peak contraction. Slowly lower to the starting position. Repeat."

So, they're some great exercises that I like to use. Also, when bench pressing (either with dumbells or barbells) and doing pushups, you'll be using your triceps. These are the quick ones I've thought of, but I know there are quite a few more out there.

Yeah, but my university is pretty much in par with what your end of the world has to offer in terms of education, so I thought you'd be pretty much getting the same privileges I would.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99283&id=21479670294#/album.php?page=1&aid=99283&id=21479670294

Over here we pay just as much money for a month's worth of Blackberry Mobile Messenger usage. A friend of mine tells me you pay around 17-20 for that kind of service.

There's also this plan where you pay 300 pounds a month (the same 32 quid) and you can call anyone for as much/long as you please. No credit refills, no bills, just one monthly payment.

I would be thrilled to pay that price for a gym membership, and I think the only way you would get a price like that is if you have some kind of discount, or something. I'm not sure about the Blackberry stuff because I know very little about that. Maybe some Universities would offer a free gym service, but I think most would just offer a low rate at certain times. During my first year, I could visit a local health club which was next to my halls of residence for £2 at a time, but only on certain times. You also had to pay a fee upfront in order to take advantage of this offer. The catch usually is that you can only use it at certain times, which kinda takes the shine off it for me.

Woop, now up to 24 push ups.

So what's a good Hip slimming exercise? Women are the ones that are meant to be hourglass shaped, not me. :(

If I read your post right, you would have to be very, very lucky to pay £33 for three months for a gym membership. 11 quid a month for the gym? Yes bluddy please. I doubt there's anyone else here who pays close to that.

What insane world do you live in to get 3 months membership for £33... You'd be very lucky to get that over here for 1 month.. o_O

What insane world do you live in to get 3 months membership for £33... You'd be very lucky to get that over here for 1 month.. o_O

I know that, woman! It's the Freak of Arabs who gets 3 months worth for 33 quid. :heh:

Woop, now up to 24 push ups.

So what's a good Hip slimming exercise? Women are the ones that are meant to be hourglass shaped, not me. :(

Run, run and run some more.