NEurope
Caris

Stand up comedy.

I'm going to see Jimmy Carr at the Newcastle City Hall at the end of this month, tempted by Ricky Gervais a few days before too.

Has anyone seen any live acts and if so would like to share there opinion on them?

Just wondering what stand up is like when your actually there.

Went to see Frankie Boyle at Lincoln. He walked off the stage because he got heckled. ...came off as a bit of a baby.

He's good though.

It's a really fun environment.

Off to see Ricky Gervais at the end of the year, too.

I'm a huge fan of stand-up comedy. People used to cite it as one of the three things I couldn't live without. I've naturally mostly seen Danish stand-up, not so much international, though I have seen some. Eddie Izzard and Jeff Dunham are some of my personal favourites.

Went to see Frankie Boyle at Lincoln. He walked off the stage because he got heckled. ...came off as a bit of a baby.

He's good though.

It's a really fun environment.

Off to see Ricky Gervais at the end of the year, too.

Haha really?! What exactly happened?

I googled "Frankie Boyle at Lincoln" and got this thread.

Pretty shocked at that. Maybe he had a huuuuge off-day.

The most famous stand up comedian that I've seen is/was Ross Noble. Excellent guy and I had a brilliant time. My cheeks were aching from laughter in high doses.

I've seen a few other comedians at the Brighton Festival, but alas, I has forgotten all names. In my head and memories though, they were deeply hilarious.

Woooah, that piece on Frankie Boyle is hugely incorrect. I'll post up what actually happened when I have a minute. Just, don't believe that article.

Woooah, that piece on Frankie Boyle is hugely incorrect. I'll post up what actually happened when I have a minute. Just, don't believe that article.

Really? Woah, ok. It seemed to fit with what you were saying though. Hecklers, going off stage, being a bit of a baby...

I'm not going to lie. I'm a teeny bit excited about reading your next post now, Wes. Leeee.

Now i don't know what to believe, I would love a video. Youtube maybe?

I'd love to be a comedian. It's my dream really.

Just promise me one thing: Don't let ReZ write your jokes.

But yeah, I also have a dream about doing stand-up one day. I don't really want to do it for a living or anything - I just want to try it once, even if I don't do very good.

Just promise me one thing: Don't let ReZ write your jokes.

But yeah, I also have a dream about doing stand-up one day. I don't really want to do it for a living or anything - I just want to try it once, even if I don't do very good.

Haha, I'm sure it would be a ''don't give up your day job'' thing for me, but it would still be awesome.

Michael MacIntyre & Russell Peters are my favourite comedians but I haven't seen any live acts yet. Hopefully will do soon.

Edited by Sooj

Really? Woah, ok. It seemed to fit with what you were saying though. Hecklers, going off stage, being a bit of a baby...

I'm not going to lie. I'm a teeny bit excited about reading your next post now, Wes. Leeee.

Well it is half right, but it's painting him in a worse light than he actually is.

This is what happened: Frankie came on, and within about 10 minutes someone heckled him, shouting something about new material (some of the jokes had been heard on Mock the Week) - so Frankie replied, while laughing, "How can you heckle me within 10 minutes? You need to listen to my jokes first." But the same guy said something again within the next 5 minutes, prompting a very sharp come back from Frankie of, "You want to shut up before I come down there. You look like a shaved monkey who's been dragged backwards through TopShop, so shut up" Very nice, got huge laughs and the guy shut up.

But then about 15 minutes later a different person heckled him, although I'm not sure on what. The problem was that the person was very close to the other guy, so Frankie thought it was the same guy, which just prompted him to get pissy. He swore a lot, said he'd smack him, and then walked off. While he was off the man's wife (or girlfriend, I'm just presuming because they looked old) stood up, made the motion for her husband to stand up saying, "Come on, we're going." She then turned to us behind and was saying that, "It wasn't him before, it was someone else." They then buggered off. A minute or so passed and people started clapping but it wasn't in any way angry towards Frankie, it was a more "Come on back" kind of way. Then his support act came, people cheered, and he said some crap... one line which just made me think it was all lame, "He has to say some of the same stuff so you know what he's talking about." Doesn't make any sense in any way. Frankie came back on, people cheered, and he made some jokes. After a minute or two he made reference to what happened, saying, "What the hell was his problem?" And laughed it off.

So... it was kind of the same as the other person's, but you see how Frankie wasn't quite as childish and violent as that person claims. The idea that someone heckled him because he said Lincoln was a town is bullshit. That was a joke, people laughed. Of course there were some people who shouted that it was a city, because the Engine Shed is on the uni campus, so there will be a lot of students who love their city, etc. But he joked, saying it wasn't, that no city revolves around a train crossing as its centre. Which... if you know Lincoln is funny.

Well it is half right, but it's painting him in a worse light than he actually is.

This is what happened: Frankie came on, and within about 10 minutes someone heckled him, shouting something about new material (some of the jokes had been heard on Mock the Week) - so Frankie replied, while laughing, "How can you heckle me within 10 minutes? You need to listen to my jokes first." But the same guy said something again within the next 5 minutes, prompting a very sharp come back from Frankie of, "You want to shut up before I come down there. You look like a shaved monkey who's been dragged backwards through TopShop, so shut up" Very nice, got huge laughs and the guy shut up.

But then about 15 minutes later a different person heckled him, although I'm not sure on what. The problem was that the person was very close to the other guy, so Frankie thought it was the same guy, which just prompted him to get pissy. He swore a lot, said he'd smack him, and then walked off. While he was off the man's wife (or girlfriend, I'm just presuming because they looked old) stood up, made the motion for her husband to stand up saying, "Come on, we're going." She then turned to us behind and was saying that, "It wasn't him before, it was someone else." They then buggered off. A minute or so passed and people started clapping but it wasn't in any way angry towards Frankie, it was a more "Come on back" kind of way. Then his support act came, people cheered, and he said some crap... one line which just made me think it was all lame, "He has to say some of the same stuff so you know what he's talking about." Doesn't make any sense in any way. Frankie came back on, people cheered, and he made some jokes. After a minute or two he made reference to what happened, saying, "What the hell was his problem?" And laughed it off.

So... it was kind of the same as the other person's, but you see how Frankie wasn't quite as childish and violent as that person claims. The idea that someone heckled him because he said Lincoln was a town is bullshit. That was a joke, people laughed. Of course there were some people who shouted that it was a city, because the Engine Shed is on the uni campus, so there will be a lot of students who love their city, etc. But he joked, saying it wasn't, that no city revolves around a train crossing as its centre. Which... if you know Lincoln is funny.

Ahh, that does paint a different picture of the night. Hecklers are a bit weird, I find. Why pay all that money then heckle? Let the guy do his stufffff.

I am not a fan of stand up at all, but a friend had a spare ticket to see Jimmy Carr a couple months back and I saw it.

It was one of the most hilarious experiences I have ever seen and was well worth it, even though some of his jokes were previously on 8 out of 10 cats

I agree completely. I honestly don't understand how someone ends up in the situation of buying a ticket to a comic and doesn't realise they wouldn't like them.

It was one of the most hilarious experiences I have ever seen and was well worth it, even though some of his jokes were previously on 8 out of 10 cats

You should have definitely heckled him.

Edited by Wesley
Automerged Doublepost

Ahh, that does paint a different picture of the night. Hecklers are a bit weird, I find. Why pay all that money then heckle? Let the guy do his stufffff.

My mate heckled Jimmy Carr and got served. My friend thought it would be funny to shout "whats your favourite sexual position?" to which Mr Carr replied "the same as yours" whilst making a wanking hand gesture.

The best part of it all, it made my friends night, he couldn't wait to tell us all at uni.

My mate heckled Jimmy Carr and got served. My friend thought it would be funny to shout "whats your favourite sexual position?" to which Mr Carr replied "the same as yours" whilst making a wanking hand gesture.

The best part of it all, it made my friends night, he couldn't wait to tell us all at uni.

See that's awesome. I wouldn't class that as heckling really. I kind of want to shout something at Ricky Gervais when I see him, but all I can think of is, "I love you!".

That is pretty amusing. That's kinda different to heckling though, maybe? In fact, I think Jimmy thrives off stuff like that.

I'm going to see Eddie Izzard sometime in November, down in Brighton. Not sure when, exactly, I should probably check with my sister (she's the one with the tickets)...

I fucking hate those pussies. Gives but can't take.

Just booked my Jimmy Carr tickets, Front row! Can't fucking wait!

You better be prepared to turn wet and messy. And have the shit ripped out of you.

Because you want fresh material.

within about 10 minutes someone heckled him, shouting something about new material (some of the jokes had been heard on Mock the Week)

This is what I'm talking about, you don't want to pay £30[?] for recycled gags you've already paid for with your TV License.

I went to see Ross Noble live at liverpool empire, was one of the funniest nights of my life. Id recommend him to anyone, iv never cried to much lol, i also got free tickets for the 2nd row, dead centre :P

I might see about goin Jimmy Carr, i wanna see the boosh live aswell, i know its not stand up but it would still be funny as!

I'm off to see Ricky Gervais in december at Sheffield City Hall, my two tickets turned up the other day, actually need to find someone to go with as the ticket was originally intended for my then girlfriend.

I saw Jimmy Carr a few years ago in Winsford of all places, he's just as good live as he is on TV, I noticed he used some jokes from his stuff on Tv though, it was still pretty damn funny.

His improvisation was good too.

I've seen lee evans twice, both in massive stadiums, in birmingham, he's incredibly talented and still my favourite comedian and its outstanding he can perform for that many people. :D