N-Europe

Is religion 'Evil'?

navarre

He makes no mention of the question just that he is gay and that he isnt religious. Not that it is or isnt evil.

Is the theory that god disaproves of 'fags' evil in itself. No i dont think it is. If god is real then hes an idiot for thinking that but that in itself dosent make him evil.

That's rather a convoluted statement. No one's saying God is evil. Religion, i.e the people are under scrutiny here. Unfounded punishment and prejudice against a group of people based on ignorance and fear is evil, if you ask me.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's rather a convoluted statement. No one's saying God is evil. Religion, i.e the people are under scrutiny here. Unfounded punishment and prejudice against a group of people based on ignorance and fear is evil, if you ask me.

I wouldnt say ignorance in itself is evil. If it is acted upon then yes it can be. But i dont think theres anything wrong with anyone thinking or believing it themselves as long as they keep it to themselves.

I wouldnt say ignorance in itself is evil. If it is acted upon then yes it can be. But i dont think theres anything wrong with anyone thinking or believing it themselves as long as they keep it to themselves.

I didn't say ignorance was evil. I said punishment and prejudice against a group of people based on ignorance is. In my books that counts as acting on it.

But is it religion that is doing this or is it the people? Does the bible actually say one should not insert ones penisin to another man, or that a woman should not drink from the furry cup. Or is it people that have interprited/twisted something else to mean this.

But is it religion that is doing this or is it the people? Does the bible actually say one should not insert ones penisin to another man, or that a woman should not drink from the furry cup. Or is it people that have interprited/twisted something else to mean this.

Now you're just arguing semantics. Religion is not the same as it was 2000 years ago. It has evolved because of its followers and therefore I think we can all safely presume that religion and its followers are as one. No followers means no religion, or am I missing something here? You got all up in arms as soon as bstmte mentioned, and quite rightly within the context and feeling of the thread I might add, the debacle of homosexuality within organised religion.

Now you're just arguing semantics. Religion is not the same as it was 2000 years ago. It has evolved because of its followers and therefore I think we can all safely presume that religion and its followers are as one. No followers means no religion, or am I missing something here? You got all up in arms as soon as bstmte mentioned, and quite rightly within the context and feeling of the thread I might add, the debacle of homosexuality within organised religion.

I dont think he did it quite rightly at all. He just said god hates fags and that he wasnt religious.

Just cause you don't feel as strongly about that doesn't mean bstmte isn't allowed to..

Word.

The amount of sleep I lost over my sexuality (not meant to be a double entendre) - it took up most of my younger teenage life. The anxiety of what people would say/do if I came out etc etc. I'm sure it's the same for bstmte.

I don't really mind (because I've resigned to the fact some people have shite opinions), but the way you trivialise homosexuality in this context could upset people.

Why do some religious folk always compare atheism with communism? The various nasty things done by communists aren't because they're atheistic, it's because they fear other sources of influence of the people (ie churches).

I was pointing out to Shorty that in some countries children would have been brought up to believe religion was a bad thing and people who follow it should be punished.

While you are a democracy loving atheist with liberal ideas Communism has paired itself with Atheism after Marx. Before him Communism and Christanity were actually quite heavily paired together.

I am making no comparision I don't know if its because you have heard people say that before but I don't think I did that at all.

I was merely pointing out that stuff like this happened in Communist China.

"Persecution of Christians in China has been sporadic. The most severe times were during the Cultural Revolution. Believers were arrested and imprisoned and sometimes tortured for their faith. Bibles were destroyed, churches and homes were looted, and Christians were subjected to humiliation. Several thousand Christians were known to have been imprisoned between 1983-1993. In 1992 the government began a campaign to shut down all of the unregistered meetings. However, government implementation of restrictions since then has varied widely between regions of China and in many areas there is greater religious liberty."

I agree with what Oddy said it was basically the point I was trying to make against Shortys generalisations.

Why do some gamers murder people?

Just because one part of a "group" does something, doesn't mean it's okay to tar everyone with the same brush. And that pretty much sums up this thread for me. There is so much diversity in religious beliefs that much of the criticism here is negated. Using terms like "religious folk" is too general to cover everyone.

Most here are lumping all religious people together, but not everyone's faith/religion is the same.

(Not having a go at you Fish but your comment sparked it off.)

You seem to be confusing the word "some" with "all"...

My comment was merely an observation - some religious people (I've encountered Jews, Christians, Muslims and Hindus who all do this) try and equate atheism with communism, and they try and promote the idea that being an atheist makes you think the shit done by communists is OK, both of which are totally false - communists don't do what they do because they're atheists, and their actions taken against religious groups/leaders are attempts to consolidate power.

I agree with you about painting people with the same brush, and I always try to avoid doing so. The only personal traits I associate with all religious people is that they're all religious and all people. However, many of the more openly religious people (in my experience) are also the most evangelical, and therefore the most vocal. As with most things, the most vocal are perceived to be the most common, and therefore the norm.

I was pointing out to Shorty that in some countries children would have been brought up to believe religion was a bad thing and people who follow it should be punished.

Ah right, fair enough. Not much different to what's happening in American at the moment with regards to atheists and "Darwinists".

Also, to anyone who claims religion is inherently evil: whilst not necessarily a religion (you can be an atheist and still be one), what about Quakers? They, amongst other things, had a major hand in the abolition of slavery, founded Pennsylvania, were the first to treat the mentally ill in what we now consider to be an ethically acceptable way, are pacifistic and very democratic, perform gay marriages in the UK (technically illegal), and make damn tasty oats.

Edited by The fish
Automerged Doublepost

He makes no mention of the question just that he is gay and that he isnt religious. Not that it is or isnt evil.

Is the theory that god disaproves of 'fags' evil in itself. No i dont think it is. If god is real then hes an idiot for thinking that but that in itself dosent make him evil.

Well I basically answered your question but if you need me to say it more clearly I can.

I DO think religion is 'evil' because they make such statements and have a whole following doing as they say and making them believe what they believe.

For instance a lot of that religion will instantly hate a gay person because they have been told that it's wrong. There are actually more reasons I could give, but I just gave you that statement as I thought it was one of the worse ones.

• 2 weeks later...