N-Europe

Samsung NC20 Netbook?

Molly

I'm gonna buy myself a netbook/laptop for my birthday and I have a Samsung phone and TV, so I thought I'd get this too, heh:

Samsung NC20 NETBOOK

samsung-nc20.jpg

Any thoughts?

Any good Netbook recommendations?! I did want a widescreen but apparently Netbooks don't really come in widescreen (the one above is 12.1'') and I don't think I need a full blown lap top. Looking to spend around £300.

I don't know about Samsung PC products...MY laptop came with Samsung RAM that died twice.

Netbooks with Established reputations would be Acer Aspire One and the MSI Wind. Try to get something with Intel Atom

Edited by Nolan

It does have good reviews which is promising though?

Acer Inspire One, yeah I've seen that. Thanks, I'll have a look a both of those!

You say this model (the Samsung one) has a 12.1" screen? Oooh, I may have to look into this - how much does it cost?

I've heard really good things about the NC10 so I imagine that this should follow suit. Samsung are generally awesome anyways, their TVs are just to die for :D

You say this model (the Samsung one) has a 12.1" screen? Oooh, I may have to look into this - how much does it cost?

I've heard really good things about the NC10 so I imagine that this should follow suit. Samsung are generally awesome anyways, their TVs are just to die for :D

Yeah everyone raves about the NC10 and I think this is a step up from that, size wise anyway. It's about £360 which is more than I want to pay...really. It looks different in some pictures on the net, I'm gonna have to look at one before I do anything.

But yes, I do love my shiny Samsung TV, it's brilliant!

I just read a review for it, seems like a fairly reliable system and having Windows XP on it is much better than Vista which would only slow it down. Price point doesn't seem too shabby either. I'm in two minds though, as personally, I need something for uni next year, as I'm not sure a small keyboard and smaller screen (although 12.1" is pretty big considering) would be ideal.

Still, if you're just using it at home and you're browsing your favourite forum/other websites, I think it'd be a pretty solid investment. Not sure how long they expect a netbook to last you, the specs aren't exactly high. :S

But yes, I do love my shiny Samsung TV, it's brilliant!

I love how its shiny black exterior makes it look so pretty, yet also provides you with a reflection to remind you that you're the lucky son of a gun that owns it.

I think the NC20 comes in two different colours, as the one I saw was white. It has an anti-bacterial keyboard too! So no more germy/swine flu keys :D I wish I could see one in reality first, hmm, perhaps we sell them at work, ideally I'd wanna see what the screen looks like when on - last thing anyone wants to be doing is forever scrolling!

Still, if you're just using it at home and you're browsing your favourite forum/other websites, I think it'd be a pretty solid investment. Not sure how long they expect a netbook to last you, the specs aren't exactly high. :S

How long do they last? What do you mean the specs aren't high, as in they aren't built very well?

I love how its shiny black exterior makes it look so pretty, yet also provides you with a reflection to remind you that you're the lucky son of a gun that owns it.

Lol, exactly! So self indulgent, I love it.

How long do they last? What do you mean the specs aren't high, as in they aren't built very well?

No, they're built well (well usually), it's more that the technology in it isn't cutting edge so to speak. It's very good for a netbook, considering how small a netbook is but it's not the fastest running or the best with graphics for example. The review I read said that running video on youtube for example might be a bit stuttery at times and I imagine websites that use looks of graphics might not run too well. My comment is meant more as a "compared to a normal laptop/desktop PC" sorta thing.

The lifespan thing is more a question of how long can you use it before it can't run anything. Saying that, I suppose they're only designed for browsing the web and sending emails anyway.

Lol, exactly! So self indulgent, I love it.

Haha, self-indulgent is certainly the most fitting word! Everytime I sell a Samsung at work, I always have this unusual habit of mentioning to the customer that I also have a Samsung - it makes me feel rather glamorous in some sort of yuppie-tastic way. That or I'm just trying to let them know that they've made the right decision buying one. They probably just think I'm an ass though, lol.

EDIT: That use LOTS of graphics, not looks, lol, I'm tired :$

No, they're built well (well usually), it's more that the technology in it isn't cutting edge so to speak. It's very good for a netbook, considering how small a netbook is but it's not the fastest running or the best with graphics for example. The review I read said that running video on youtube for example might be a bit stuttery at times and I imagine websites that use looks of graphics might not run too well. My comment is meant more as a "compared to a normal laptop/desktop PC" sorta thing.

The lifespan thing is more a question of how long can you use it before it can't run anything. Saying that, I suppose they're only designed for browsing the web and sending emails anyway.

Yeah I'm only gonna be using it for web browsing/downloading from itunes/email, maybe a bit of word processing. The running slow thing, you can add more memory to them and that helps doesn't it? I love how n00bish I sound, I'm used to it though so it's all good!

Yeah I'm only gonna be using it for web browsing/downloading from itunes/email, maybe a bit of word processing. The running slow thing, you can add more memory to them and that helps doesn't it? I love how n00bish I sound, I'm used to it though so it's all good!

Yeah I think you can add more, haven't checked but would be surprised if you couldn't! Go forth and buyeth!

Now you've made me want one...tut tut tut, and just when I have no money either!

I don't know about Samsung PC products...MY laptop came with Samsung RAM that died twice.

Netbooks with Established reputations would be Acer Aspire One and the MSI Wind. Try to get something with Intel Atom

Actually, I have the Samsung NC10 (as does Raining Again and a few others on here, as well as two of my friends and my mother)...it's easily one of the best netbooks available. It's won loads of awards, too. Samsung are pretty much the kings in the netbook market, and their netbooks tend to be much better in terms of design and battery life.

The NC20 is a 12 inch netbook, and as a result has a poorer battery life, if that's important to you (but better style and obviously a bigger screen). The NC10 is cheaper and has a longer battery, but a 10.2 inch screen, while the N110 has a bigger battery than the NC10 (but is slightly more expensive).

It's up to you, but the Samsung netbooks are all pretty fantastic. :)

Actually, I have the Samsung NC10 (as does Raining Again and a few others on here, as well as two of my friends and my mother)...it's easily one of the best netbooks available. It's won loads of awards, too. Samsung are pretty much the kings in the netbook market, and their netbooks tend to be much better in terms of design and battery life.

The NC20 is a 12 inch netbook, and as a result has a poorer battery life, if that's important to you (but better style and obviously a bigger screen). The NC10 is cheaper and has a longer battery, but a 10.2 inch screen, while the N110 has a bigger battery than the NC10 (but is slightly more expensive).

Thanks so much Sheikah, that's brilliant to know! :D

Yeah, no problem. :)

Having an NC10 I can tell you that it's actually a lot more powerful than you'd believe; I have several tabs open in Firefox, some running youtube videos and it doesn't even slow down. My friend actually got it to run HD anime episodes without lag, haha. It also runs office programs with ease. The battery life is unbelievable, and is one of the best things if you ask me. Maybe 6 to 6 and a half hours unplugged on a reasonable brightness setting.

Samsung netbooks are made of win. They look awesome, too. Get one. :)

Yeah, no problem. :)

Having an NC10 I can tell you that it's actually a lot more powerful than you'd believe; I have several tabs open in Firefox, some running youtube videos and it doesn't even slow down. My friend actually got it to run HD anime episodes without lag, haha. It also runs office programs with ease. The battery life is unbelievable, and is one of the best things if you ask me. Maybe 6 to 6 and a half hours unplugged on a reasonable brightness setting.

Samsung netbooks are made of win. They look awesome, too. Get one. :)

I'm definitely gonna have a look/play at the range in a shop and then I may just do that! :)

oh hell yeah! Sheiker actually recommended the NC10 to me!

My sister also has the N110, which is very similar (size wise, looks wise) but a tad on the better side spec wise. Think she spent 340/350?

The screen is fine! It is small, and I downgraded from a massive dual screen setup, to this. I didn't have an issues. (at the same time, it does take getting used to) The resolution is good for the size of the screen. Some websites are a tad on the awkward size (I think a lot of people designing websites did so before small resolution netbooks hit the market) but 99.9% are not a problem.

Battery life is completely... out of this world. Get about 5/6 hours on mine.

One thing to note: the trackpad thinger (instead of mouse) is a bit on the annoying side - but I find this with all laptop trackpads anyway =P

(I have a logitech VX nano mouse (£35) and i recommend it) if you are that way inclined... the AAA (x2) batteries on that mouse would last me 6 months+ with intensive use!

I'd say two of my best purchases...maybe even ever!

if you do get an nc10, get a white, the rest look stinking =P

Edited by Raining_again

My sister's got one of these too(or an NC10, it's an NC something) which I recommended after these guys recommended it, and so far I've heard no complaints from her about it(me being her go to tech guy), though I haven't used it much myself personally, it's a bit too pink for my liking! She's noobier than you with comps though, so if she can use it then you'll be fine!

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

• 3 weeks later...
I'm definitely gonna have a look/play at the range in a shop and then I may just do that! :)

I am considering getting a net book as well.

Samsung are just about to release the N510 which does have more of a widescreen display and is more geared towards doing HD. (It has an onboard graphics card and an HDMI port - apparently the NC20 can struggle with some HD decoders.)

In the states it is being delayed until October for the release of Windows 7 (which sounds like a good idea to me) but it seems like it is releasing with XP here very shortly (like in the next couple of weeks).

Oh and it will be a bit more expensive for a slightly smaller screen, so swings and roundabouts possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, instead of making my own thread I thought I'd ask here.

I now understand why netbooks are good after thinking about it so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference was between the Samsung NC10, the N110 and the N120?

I'm looking on the samsung website and see no difference between the 3 of them.

I now understand why netbooks are good after thinking about it so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference was between the Samsung NC10, the N110 and the N120?

I have an nc10, and my sister has the n110. n110 has a better battery. It has one of those glassy look screens where the nc10 has a matt screen (less glare!) Looks a little different but its basically the same shell.

(those are only the obvious differences, i haven't had a close enough look at my sisters computer.)

For £50ish difference you aren't gonna see the hugest of differences between the NC10, and N110. Just the N110 has been a little more refined.

Think the big decision-maker is the glossy screen vs the matt screen.

And I know nothing about the n120 :P

I think that the N110 and N120 are basically not-much-has-changed updates to the NC-10, with most of the differences being screen and battery as previously suggested. (NC10 has only a 3 cell battery whereas these have 6 cell batteries).

However, this month they released the N130 and N140 which are the latest models again. The N130 is pretty much the NC10 again but the N140 has a 9 cell battery with quoted life of 9 hours. I think both also have the n (almost-)standard for Wifi.

There is also the N510 which is out soon (some retailers claim to have them now - dabs says 5th Oct) which has an accelerated graphics card and HDMI out for watching HD you tube. It also has an 11.6 inch wide screen display as well as the n standard. It has a 6 cell battery. Of course all of these extras cost more monies. :heh:

I am thinking about the N510 but with Windows 7 coming out it seems as if it might be worth leaving it at the moment. Samsung seem to be releasing about 3 laptops a month at the moment.

I saw some pictures of the N150, then thought why they'd done that. A netbook is for portability and doing very simple stuff on. Unless they're trying to create a new market in between for the people who want extreme portability and good graphics?

So you're looking at the N140 being the best of the bunch with it's 9 cell battery?

I saw some pictures of the N150, then thought why they'd done that. A netbook is for portability and doing very simple stuff on. Unless they're trying to create a new market in between for the people who want extreme portability and good graphics?

So you're looking at the N140 being the best of the bunch with it's 9 cell battery?

I think HD video is the thing that it needs the graphics chip for - I would guess they re targeting this at Youtube HD which has been said to stutter on the N270 based netbooks (and even slightly on the NC20). Also the wide screen display is nice. :smile:

Windows 7 was also supposed to be a differentiator - they will get it in the states or so says the rumour, but not in this country.

The battery on the N140 does sound good mind you. I doubt it will be 9 hours with bluetooth and wifi but that should mean at least 5-6 which is brilliant.