N-Europe

Car insurance help

MoogleViper

This may be a long shot mut many people here have been at or are at uni so they may be in the same boat.

Basically I want to have a car but only for the weeks that I'll be back home. If I take out a policy in my name it will be ~£900 for the year. Does anybody know of a way in which I can just have insurance for when I'm at home?

Keep the insurance as though your still living at home and not at uni, city centres make insurance sky rocket.

Make the insurance as your parents - but you as the driver.

Newer cars tend to be slightly cheaper in insurance than older cars, my 2005 model is cheaper to insure than my sisters 2003 car for example.

I think some companies will do short term insurance though with uni holidays being fairly lengthy they may make you take out a full policy.

Could you get one of your parents as the main driver with you named on the policy to keep costs down?

Yeah but they see it as a young driver. But when I do it myself I have 1 years NCB to prove that I'm a responsible driver.

Thats true I suppose, but my insurance for me to have it was 900 (aftera year its now 600) but in my parents name originally it would have been just over 700 and gone down to about 500 if you follow the pattern..

Im not sure of any companies that will insure you, but i know you will need a SORN unless someone else is insured on the car.

You only need to SORN it if it has no tax on it. A car can be uninsured as long as it is parked of the road without having a SORN.

It's worth remembering that a car needs an insurance certificate to buy tax for it. So make sure it's insured when it's time to get it taxed.

When the time comes to tax it, you could just buy a days insurance from here for the day you want to tax it. Unscrupulous people also use this site to insure the car for the day to tax it, then drive uninsured for the rest of the year. Arseholes. Other than that, that website is a Godsend. I've used it to drive my friends cars for a day if we're travelling long distance of if I'm viewing a new car and aren't sure if I'll buy it (I always do!), best to waste a days insurance than taking out a years policy on a car I'm not sure I'll buy.

Edit: I'm not sure, but there might be a law in place or one being talked about that makes it illegal to store a car on the road without tax and insurance. I'm not sure though.

It's worth remembering that a car needs an insurance certificate to buy tax for it. So make sure it's insured when it's time to get it taxed.

When the time comes to tax it, you could just buy a days insurance from here for the day you want to tax it. Unscrupulous people also use this site to insure the car for the day to tax it, then drive uninsured for the rest of the year. Arseholes. Other than that, that website is a Godsend. I've used it to drive my friends cars for a day if we're travelling long distance of if I'm viewing a new car and aren't sure if I'll buy it (I always do!), best to waste a days insurance than taking out a years policy on a car I'm not sure I'll buy.

Edit: I'm not sure, but there might be a law in place or one being talked about that makes it illegal to store a car on the road without tax and insurance. I'm not sure though.

Why would you bother buying tax if you were going to drive un insured? In for an inch in for a mile i say lol.

Why would you bother buying tax if you were going to drive un insured? In for an inch in for a mile i say lol.

I think it's mainly because being fined for having an untaxed car is automatic, whereas you have to be caught driving uninsured. You could just declare the car SORN, but it there are far more checks for untaxed/SORN cars (there are cameras that do it automatically I think) than uninsured ones.