NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Using iPhone on a flight

As my iPhone is now my main iPod, and has all my music and a couple of films on it, does anyone know if I'd be able to use my iPhone in 'Airplane Mode' on a flight?

My flight will be with Thomson Airways. I know the point on Airplane mode is so you can use it on a plane but not all of them allow you to use a phone at all.

I may have asked this before, but I think all someone said was pretend it's an iPod Touch.

My old Video iPod wont last long enough to watch a film in flight, but I don't want to be halfway through one and then have someone tell me to switch it off. As far as I'm concerned there is no difference between iPod Touch and iPhone in Flight Mode.

Anyone had any issues with this?

I think I've used my regular phone on a flight before... oops. You'll be fine.

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one would notice but my moms a bit funny about flying and if the flight attendant announces that phones with airplane mode must be turned off for the whole flight she's gonna moan like fuck if I use my iPhone. So I want to make sure I'm definitely OK to use it.

I've emailed Thomson to see what they say about it as well. At the end of the day this is what Airplane Mode is designed for so there shouldn't be a problem.

It will be fine, if anyone gives you hassle punch them in the stomach.

You can use it no problems. Most airlines will even say at the start of the flight, "put any smartphone or PDA into flight mode"

Is it just phones your not mean to use on planes or all electrical equipment? only ask because wanna take pics out of the window as I land in Johannesburg apparently the view is meant to be awesome.

What the heck kind of camera do you have? Crazy stuff. To be honest, phones aren't even a huge deal. As long as you don't walk onto a plane with an EMP device everything is A'OK.

Is it just phones your not mean to use on planes or all electrical equipment? only ask because wanna take pics out of the window as I land in Johannesburg apparently the view is meant to be awesome.

Phones all the way through. Electrical during takeoff, landing and taxing (taxi-ing...? you know what I mean :p). Cameras are battery operated though.

ah right...I just thought, I'm usually paranoid and even stop using my ipod when we land lol!

Actually yeah that's a point...if I recall the amazing diagrams correctly ipods were not allowed and I think maybe cameras. I stopped using mine as well. Obviously people do so it depends how sneaky you can be. Again, could contact the airline?

I have just got back from Tenerife, and i can say you will be able to use your phone with no hassle as i did.

They did say that you can not use it during take off and landing, and anytime when the seatbelt sign is on, but other then that it is fine.

It's rather messy, really.

It should be fine. The worst situation will be that you get a dumb flight attendant who doesn't understand "Flight Mode". And he may take you to someone higher up in management (who will almost certainly understand you) once you land.

Unless you go on a plane that lets you make phone calls mid-flight. Then it's a simple "Yes".

I've used mine a few times on Airplane Mode with no problem whatsoever.

As far as I know the only reason that they tell you turn to turn off electronic equipment for take off and landing is because the chances are you'll have earphones in and if you do your ears feel much worse. Cant' think of another reason unless someone has a radio on or something and it interferes with the planes radio.

I don't believe its anything to do with ears as I'm sure ear plugs are reccomended if you're concerned your ears may pop.

Got a completely pointless reply from Thomson. The customer service guy clearly didn't have a clue and so copy and pasted the crap off their website.

"Thank you for your email

You can use portable electronic devices such as laptops, CD players, DVD

players, gameboys and walkmans during your flight, providing they are

not used during take-off or landing. If you wish to use such devices on

board, they can be included as hand baggage in the cabin of the

aircraft. The use of mobile phones, radios or any electronic

transmitting device may not be used at any time that the aircraft is in

motion."

Not answering my question at all. No mention of Airplane Mode at all.

Try the dog and bone, that way you can then explain.

CD players? Gameboys? Walkmans?

When was this written? 1994?

Some airlines (not sure which ones) actually allow you now to use wireless devices during flight. Most are still too paranoid to change the rules though. If anyone questions you about it, just tell them its an iPod Touch and hope they're a technophobe.

Got a completely pointless reply from Thomson. The customer service guy clearly didn't have a clue and so copy and pasted the crap off their website.

"Thank you for your email

You can use portable electronic devices such as laptops, CD players, DVD

players, gameboys and walkmans during your flight, providing they are

not used during take-off or landing. If you wish to use such devices on

board, they can be included as hand baggage in the cabin of the

aircraft. The use of mobile phones, radios or any electronic

transmitting device may not be used at any time that the aircraft is in

motion."

Not answering my question at all. No mention of Airplane Mode at all.

Bums that puts paid to my plans to take pics of jo'burg as I land...I suppose have to be sneaky..

Phone's don't actually affect the plane, its just a precaution not to use them just in case a signal affected the plane. If I'm not mistaken Ryanair actually want to introduce the use of mobile phones on their planes soon.

But I definitely get on the phone to someone to make sure, before a) you freak someone out b) you get unnecessary grief on the flight.

My concern with that is, if I get through to someone they are just going to say the 'rules' that they've got in front of them with no real 'knowledge' of what it is, or how it's affecting anything.

Some airlines (not sure which ones) actually allow you now to use wireless devices during flight. Most are still too paranoid to change the rules though. If anyone questions you about it, just tell them its an iPod Touch and hope they're a technophobe.

Emasher encouraging to be sneaky and break rules!?! Wow things sure have changed since I've been gone.

Anyhow.. if you're really that paranoid you could always just bring an old phone with ya, and then pull it out and say "see its off" if they bother you.

Sign in to follow this