NEurope
dwarf

How good is HD?

How good is High Definition for games?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How good is High Definition for games?

• It's pretty damn overrated
    • It's decent but not all it's cracked up to be
    • The improvements are quite significant - good!
    • Incredible

I voted incredable coz well i think it is!

As others mentioned i forgot how good it looks till i very rarely connect one of my HD consoles on the downstairs tele (mum has still got a SDTV down there!) and i'm like oh dear...

Well there's a limited spread of votes, most people finding that HD has turned out to be the business, I'm guessing the option with one vote was Zechs Merquise.

I'd laugh if it was for obvious reasons, but also because he didn't feel he'd be able to express himself in the thread.

The best use of HD I've seen so far was Tremors on HDDVD. I could see every pebble in the gravel. It was amazing. I need to get Speed Racer on Bluray methinks.

HD does not improve eyesight. I'm partially deaf and 7.1 surround or whatever, does not make me ear any better.

that's...really dumb.

If an image is clearer, it's easier to see with poor eyesight. Hearing is incomparable because you can't hear the subtleties that higher sound quality brings. Comparing the two is like saying that, once an image becomes a certain resolution, someone wearing glasses would simply see a big black square or something.

I was actually in Currys, or Comet... or one of those big-store rip-off places, and was looking at the HDTVs. I was watching some animation movie on a huge HDTV with surround sound. Was so amazing... I'm wanting to buy a HDTV and am annoyed I may have to wait until my next loan. Which seems pointless because then I'll be too busy doing work to watch/do anything on it.

Incredible. Not just for gaming, Blu-ray is awesome too. The Dark Knight's IMAX scenes for instance are mindblowing.

Ah yes, Dark Knight on blu-ray was brilliant. The opening scene was just jaw-dropping and remained like that throughout the film.

Well i am waiting for my V10. Will let you know how one of the best tv's on the market perform ;)

When let us know when you have installed some sort of anti-smug device as well. A mirror maybe?

I will enjoy my fairly high priced HDTV depite your disapproval.

When let us know when you have installed some sort of anti-smug device as well. A mirror maybe?

Why not? I want to see how much difference it makes.

You got the tv i recommended lol.

It sounded like you recomended it in spite of being adament that it was pretty shite compared to your wallet killing purchases..

Anti-smug device lol.

If we are being smug, SFIV and inFAMOUS look fantastic on my 50" 1080p plasma:

Picture183.jpg

Shit cam doesn't do it justice:indeed:

Games are vastly improved.

Films not so much(not as big a difference as VHS - DVD) . They are sharper, clearer and cleaner but not enough to warrant the price tag when 10 mins in you forget about the differences and just enjoy the film.

That's just me though I guess. I do have a trained eye but it just doesn't matter to me when DVD quality isn't terrible and you pay so much extra for a bit of shine

Edited by mariosmentor

Games are vastly improved.

Films not so much(not as nig a difference as VHS - DVD) . They are sharper, clearer and cleaner but not enough to warrant the price tag when 10 mins in you forget about the differences and just enjoy the film.

That's just me though I guess. I do have a trained eye but it just doesn't matter to me when DVD quality isn't terrible and you pay so much extra for a bit of shine.

I'd have to say I agree, but it's nice having a blu-ray player anyway. I'll get the odd blu-ray but stick to DVD more often.

It sounded like you recomended it in spite of being adament that it was pretty shite compared to your wallet killing purchases..

The Toshiba isnt bad though for how much you pay. Yeah ofcourse its shite next to some quality TV. That is how it is.

Anyway enjoy your new bedroom tv. I wouldnt do much different either.

Anti-smug device lol.

If we are being smug, SFIV and inFAMOUS look fantastic on my 50" 1080p plasma:

Picture183.jpg

Shit cam doesn't do it justice:indeed:

What model is your tv? I'm lousy at recognizing TV:s and I'd gladly read some specs, probably getting a new TV tomorrow.

What model is your tv? I'm lousy at recognizing TV:s and I'd gladly read some specs, probably getting a new TV tomorrow.

It's a Samsung Plasma. 50"

I say it kinda rudely, but I'm not trying to be. Samsung is only just starting out with Plasmas so there shouldn't be too many variations is all.

I recommend either Samsung or Panasonic Plasmas.

PGR4 and CoD4 are both awesome on my lil' 19" HDTV (I also use it as a monitor, so the distance is nothing). Even something like PES 2008 looks smexy.

you do get use to it and it is not until you are back using SD that you realise what HD is about.

Even on Sky HD which is not the same quality as HD-DVD/Blu-Ray you can see a big difference when you switch between HD and SD coverage. Football (Champions League so nice), Cricket, Tennis etc looks stunning in HD. Try watching Tennis in SD after seeing it in HD, trust me it is not a pretty site.

Although DVD is still okay I still notice a big difference when I put one on straight after I watch a HD-DVD.

Edited by khilafah

It's a Samsung Plasma. 50"

I say it kinda rudely, but I'm not trying to be. Samsung is only just starting out with Plasmas so there shouldn't be too many variations is all.

I recommend either Samsung or Panasonic Plasmas.

Samsung have been doing plasmas/pdp for many years. This year just stick to Panasonic. They outperform Samsung and LG pdp across the board. The new LG are a better choice over Samsung here.

The one flaw with Panasonic however is the design and styling on their cheaper TV. They look more serious than elegant. Not long ago they did stands that made them look fantastic, but this year no stands. Not a big deal for many but it is for some.

Edited by Choze

I've only just recently started seeing Samsung Plasmas here.